walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A mid summer evening: Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag

A mid summer evening: Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag

Postby Alastair S » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1206m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20100619.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag profile.jpg

So, hadn’t topped a Munro for 6 weeks, hadn’t done any walking for 4 weeks and had being feeling out of sorts for a while so fancied some lonesome wildness. Which meant either opting for somewhere not so popular or walking at a time when most folks are either tucked up or having diner. In the end opted for both of the above and canisp’s excellent Beinn nan Oighreag report persuaded my that a visit to Glen Lyon was overdue.

Didn’t leave home till 1pm for the long 3hr+ drive to Glen Lyon. But it was a lovely day and Glen Lyon was just stunning. Never been up this glen before so was reminded how lucky I was to be living in such a beautiful country.

The plan was to start late and if it looked like a promising sunset stay up high till the sun set at 10:10pm. With over an hour’s twilight after sun down getting down wouldn’t be a problem. Just the long drive home to worry about :) So decided to do both Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag to bulk out the walk.

Was on my way about 4:45 and was atop a disappointing Beinn nan Oighreag by 6:30. You do get a good view of the true nature of Meall Ghaordaidh from this top but otherwise its an anonymous grassy hump (albeit a big, just 7m short of a Munro hump). And the visibility was superb with nay cloud in the sky – but the few clouds there were were of the lovely lenticular type. Just a shame about the nagging Northerly wind.

P1080744.JPG
Looking down Glen Lyon

P1080760.JPG
Looking up Glen Lyon

P1080785.JPG
First full view of Meall Ghaordaidh

P1080788_edited-1.jpg
The true peak of Beinn nan Oighreag is this large boulder and not the cairn a few hundred metres further North

So down the bealach and up and along the western buttress to Creag an Tulabhain (arriving around 7:45). More great views of Glen Lyon. But wind was getting stronger and more annoying, now pushing 40mph. I found the final push up to Meall Ghaordaidh a real struggle as my recent inactivity came home to roost. Despite slogging uphill I needed a third layer (having started in just one). Was very grateful for the large stone shelter around the trig point where I plonked myself for 15 minutes while I recovered and replenished myself. And somewhat miraculously while I did so the wind dropped off almost completely. Was able to marvel at the views all round in peace and even get out with my new tripod for some panoramas.

Still an hour till sunset but I wasn’t too hopeful of a spectacular one as there weren’t enough clouds about. So eventually down the central buttress (Creag Laoghain) and I start to hear voices. At first I thought they were from the valley far below, but no, it turns out to be 3 Glasgow lads camping around 860m up with their tents tucked in the lee of some very large boulders. So stop for a good 10 min chat about the area (not their first visit), the wildlife (lots including a very beepy Golden Plover) and the prospects of some star gazing. Nice lads – even oferred me a brew.

Back down the hillside, past sunset and still lots of light all the way back to the car, arriving at quater to eleven. Almost magical.

Then the slow drive back down the glen avoiding all the sheep, deer, rabbits, hares, hedghogs, etc wondering about the place. The lads back on Meall Ghaordaidh were in for a disappoint star watch however as the sky never got dark. There was a bright half moon out but the only star I saw was the North Star at around 1am. By the time I got home at 2am the sky was starting to brighten again!

P1080789-90.jpg
Meall Ghaordaidh from summit of Beinn nan Oighreag

P1080798.JPG
Looking up Glen Lyon again

P1080804.JPG
Atop Meall Ghaordaidh at 9:00 pm

P1080835.JPG
Ben Lawers group

P1080858.JPG
Lenticular cloud

P1080871.JPG
Sunset behind Glen & Loch Lyon
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: A mid summer evening: Meall Ghaordaidh & Beinn nan Oighreag

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Great idea to do both together - looks a good route - I think I'd probably prefer Beinn nan Oighreag ascent from Glen Lochay though, although I've fancied doing Maol Ghaordaidh from Glen Lyon ever since I saw the route from the summit. It really doesn't get dark in Scotland in June does it? I always like that when I go up at that time of year... we were up last week at Durness on the north coast and I'm hating being back home now where it gets dark around 10 still :(

The lenticular cloud and the Lawers Hills pics are superb, especially the lighting :D
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:11 pm

The lenticular cloud and the Lawers Hills pics are superb, especially the lighting

It's a UFO :shock: :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:32 pm

That photo is bizarre but wonderful. Tweekie would be proud.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 pm

kevsbald wrote:That photo is bizarre but wonderful. Tweekie would be proud.

Who's Tweekie? Whenever kevsbald comes out with a word I'm not sure of I thing that maybe its some [obscure] dialect word. In this case maybe the reference is to the TellyTubbies?

ps - be careful of putting tweekie into google if you are at work :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby kinley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Lovely set of pics - and an interesting route too 8)
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Alastair S wrote:
kevsbald wrote:That photo is bizarre but wonderful. Tweekie would be proud.

Who's Tweekie? Whenever kevsbald comes out with a word I'm not sure of I thing that maybe its some [obscure] dialect word. In this case maybe the reference is to the TellyTubbies?

ps - be careful of putting tweekie into google if you are at work :lol:

:lol: that makes it very tempting to google it now... but I am at work so perhaps not! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland