walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion dash

Schiehallion dash

Postby Scott Strachan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:28 am

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 20/10/2016

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A quick up and down hill run.
Low mist in the Tummel valley gave way to clear skies by the time I arrived at the Braes of Foss car park. I was first car there at 9am so knew I'd have the ascent to myself.
Beautiful clear, cold high pressure mid October day .
Ascent path is good up to the first cairn. At that point I was sure the cairn was misleading so doubled back to take a route round the south side of the broad ridge. Turns out I was mistaken and the path does continue on the north side.
The top area was completely boulders so a lot of rock hopping required. Rocks were slightly wet in early morning so conditions were slippery and slow.
Cracking panoramic view from the top and not a soul to be seen.
The path seemed more obvious on the descent but still difficult to trace though the boulder fields.
Descent to car park was quick and became busier the lower you got, passing more than 30 walkers. By the time I got back to the car park there were 18 cars pitched up.
Scott Strachan
Munro compleatist

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland