walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Höhenweg 2. Jungen - My favourite walk

Höhenweg 2. Jungen - My favourite walk

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Date walked: 22/08/2017

Time taken: 5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 600m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

EDIT - I should clarify - "My favourite one day walk"
As you ascend the narrowest section of the Mattertal through the village of St. Niklaus, you are hemmed in by the beetling cliffs 1000m high on either side, with the occasional majestic snow peak appearing behind . Between these two however exists a huge area of (often moraine filled) hanging valleys which are accessed by a series of paths collectively known as the Höhen Weg. you can in fact walk the whole way from Visp in the Rhone valley to Tasch only a few Km from Zermatt and also go into the adjacent valley - the Turtmanntal - at two places.
The central focus of the area is the beautiful little village of Jungen - (Jungu in the local language) set on a sunny South facing shelf.
Embdmap.jpg
This is a tourist office depiction of the Northern end where there is lots of habitation: South of Jungen (L in the picture) the only route (at the moment) is via the Topali SAC hut
Around Zermatt there is of course lots of stunning scenery, but the appalling mess left by the ski installations is (for me anyway) a major downside. Around Jungen is what I think is the nicest one day walk in the area - the Rundweg or circular walk. In fact I think it is probably the nicest walk I know anywhere, and I've done it many times.
jungenmap.jpg
Map of the walking paths around Jungen
The map is a bit complicated - but the signposting on the ground is first class.
I have already described Jungen village in Hohenweg 1
HOH60 (1).jpg
As you leave the village a signpost tells you all you need to know. It is better to go anticlockwise
The route sets off through scatttered trees and trends upwards below steep rocks. In the hot sun the smell of the pines is quite intoxicating. There are a lot of pictures - I just kept shooting as I went along - but hopefully you will enjoy them.
It is an easy path suitable for families but there are occasional rope handrails for those of a nervous disposition :lol:
3468.jpg

3471.jpg

3496.jpg

3499.jpg

3512.jpg

3476.jpg
Looking back to Jungen
3477.jpg
A wider view
3481.jpg

3484.jpg

Down To your R, you cross the top of a number of huge gullies that fall 1000m to the valley floor
3474.jpg

3490.jpg

3493.jpg

3502.jpg

3515.jpg

3509.jpg

3518.jpg

3506.jpg
Some sort of equipment I think rather than an art installation :lol:
3505.jpg
Above St. Niklaus on the other side of the valley is the village of Grächen: the circuit of Monte Rosa comes through here on the Europaweg from Zermatt, goes diagonally L to Hannigalp (lift) and then traverses the Saas valley on a balcony walk to Saas Fee - 6hrs or so - even if you take the lift
3531.jpg

3521.jpg
Two views looking back - The Weisshorn is still looking over your shoulder
3524.jpg
A wider view
3540.jpg
Eventually the path takes a sharp turn L and you look North towards Moosalp and the mountains across the Rhone valley
At this point you turn on to a North facing slope and there is a dramatic change in the vegetation.
Up to now it has been almost all grass - I'm sure there are flowers earlier in the season but by August they have all been burnt up by the morning sun. Here it is mainly "heaths" - Bearberry, Bilberry, juniper and particularly Alpenrose (wild Azalia) : and the flowers proliferate.
Alpenrose.jpg
Alpenrose - wild Azalea
FLa.jpg
L - Orchis mascula - Narrow leaved Orchid .................. R Gentiana purpurea - Purple gentian
Saxifraga cuneifolia - Saxifrage with wedge-shaped leaves
Convallaria majallis - Lily of the valley
3544.jpg
The path continues past some rocks to a very detailed signpost
Directly up the valley - the Augstbordtal - is the Schwartzhorn, and to its L the 2893m Augstbord pass from Grüben in the Turtmanntal: if you are doing the "walking" Haute Route from Chamonix you will almost certainly traverse this pass. From Zinal you cross the Meid or the Forcletta pass to Grüben, come this way to St. Niklaus and continue via Grächen to finish at Saas Fee. The fork to the R heads up here and also to Moosalp, but the Rundweg keeps L and zig-zags quite steeply up to the highest point on the path - above the rocks you walked below earlier. You cross a drystone wall at about 2350m
The path up the Augstbordtal
The Rundweg keeps L
climbing up to the highest point. In the distance the mountains above Saas Grund
Another view of the Schwartzhorn
Looking back across the wall
FLb.jpg
L Arnica montana - Mountain Arnica R Geranium sylvaticum - Wood Crane's-bill almost at the maximum height of its range
Zoomed view of the mountains on the far side of the Saas valley - the 3993m Fletchhorn, 4010m Lagginhorn and the 4017m Weissmeis just appearing through the cloud
Another zoomed image: the Mischabel: The snowy col at the top of the Reid glacier is the 3850m Windjoch: the 3925m Ulrichshorn on its L and the 4327m Nadelhorn to the R: The 4545m Dom (the highest mountain completely in Switzerland) is at the back far R
The path continues horizontally for a short while and then turns down quite steeply. If you continue, you complete the Rundweg by descending through the woods back to the village - there are more nice flowers.
FLd.jpg
L Polygala alpestris - Subalpine Milkwort ................... R Saxifraa Aspera - Stiff-haired Saxifrage
FLc.jpg
L Erigeron alpinus - Alpine Fleabane................... R Gymnadenia conopsia - Fragrant Orchid
However if you do this you are missing out on maybe the best part of the walk. About 150m below the high point you can take a R turn and walk up into the amazing Jungtal. Better still I found that I could save around 100m of descent and reascent, by leaving the path just where it starts to descend and traversing horizontally a few metres to a ridge - there is a tiny track.
The start of the descent where I left the path
Looking back at the horizontal section of the path
From the ridge I climbed this grassy gully....
...traversed along this ridge and soon came to another path (that descends from the Augstbord pass) - see map - there were a few hang gliders about :)
Looking across into the Jungtal
A closer view - you can just see a path traversing the slope (above the gully in the shade)
I could probably just have continued traversing - the terrain is very benign, but it was easier to descend the path a bit, and then turn R at a junction
3603.jpg
This path was signposted Jungtal and a second turn L was also signposted
The (same) little path - much more obvious now - continued horizontally across the slope until it joined the main path up from Jungen

The Jungtal is a classic hanging valley : the main path can be seen below
Looking back
Cowsheds at the entrance to the valley
The path now zig-zags up on to one of the most wonderful lateral moraines I have ever seen. stemming from the ice age, it has become grassed over and thousands of years of erosion have rounded the top leaving just a few huge boulders behind - magic :D
Edit 2018: Sitting on the moraine in 2018. a number of major boulder falls threatened the cowsheds so there no cows in the Jungtal this year :(
There is another one on the other side of the valley
If you continue up this moraine the path traverses L across the head of the valley and climbs over a 3000m col - the Wasulicke - to reach Topali - but as I have said, that is another story
Unlike most of the valleys on the route which are largely stone filled, the Jungtal is grassy with cows grazing beside a tinkling stream and very special I think.
I turned around here and followed the main track back to the village, but took a few more photos before I left.
The valley floor
A wider view up the valley - the Wasulicke is out of sight on the L
A cairn at the end of the moraine - across the Mattertal you are looking right up the lift to Hannigalp
Looking out of the mouth of the valley just beyond the cowsheds
Looking back across the upper track
Minuarta laricifolia - Larch-leaved Sandwort
looking back up the main track
3646.jpg
The track descends easily to the village beside a stone wall: This a Blumenweg" - flower walk - and there are lots of pictures of things I don't think I have ever seen. sadly they never seem to be out when I am there :(
I found when I got down that I had just missed the (hourly) lift so I had a long soft drink and then a beer in the Stubli.
Edit 2018
Sadly the old Stubli closed a couple of years ago :( - biut a new one has been built this year - just above the lift :D - so you can have a beer and watch the queue at the same time :) Even more my favourite walk now
Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 19 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: My favourite walk

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:47 am

Hey PMSD, I knew when you said it was your favourite it was going to be good but, wow, what a beautiful hike. As you say, very special. I'm not convinced you missed that lift by accident though :wink: ......a direct descent or a beer and a wonderful view for an hour :think: decisions decisions :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:32 pm

ChrisW wrote:Hey PMSD, I knew when you said it was your favourite it was going to be good but, wow, what a beautiful hike. As you say, very special. I'm not convinced you missed that lift by accident though :wink: ......a direct descent or a beer and a wonderful view for an hour :think: decisions decisions :lol: :lol:

Chris
one of the delights of alpine walking is that there is almost always a cafe or similar where you can stop and get something to eat and drink - and shelter if need be. In Scotland you have to bring your own, and there may be no shelter at all.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 pm

past my sell by date wrote: In Scotland you have to bring your own, and there may be no shelter at all.

That is exactly the way of it out here too mate, with the exception of a couple of the main tourist hotspots it's all 'bring your own'...sometimes it would be nice to sit down for a drink and bite to eat after a hike :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 pm

I can see absolutely why this is your favourite walk - the views are simply to die for...
Wonderful, and thanks for posting.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:50 pm

ChrisW wrote:
past my sell by date wrote: In Scotland you have to bring your own, and there may be no shelter at all.

That is exactly the way of it out here too mate, with the exception of a couple of the main tourist hotspots it's all 'bring your own'...sometimes it would be nice to sit down for a drink and bite to eat after a hike :roll:

Yes the only difference it seems to me that in Alberta you might meet something that fancied you for lunch :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I can see absolutely why this is your favourite walk - the views are simply to die for...
Wonderful, and thanks for posting.

Thanks Alteknacker
I like it because it has both distant views and stunning "local"scenery.
I'm sure there are more beautiful walks in Scotland, but you have to be there on one of the (few) really good days. In the Alps in Summer you have a good percentage chance of a sunny day - though I did once have to shelter in the Stubli for an hour during a violent evening thunderstorm - the lift of course being closed :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby john923 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:53 pm

What a lovely circuit! We've never done any walking in the Alps which is a poor state of affairs considering they are almost on our doorstep (although your high mountaineering exploits are certainly beyond us). Especially like the flower pics - good to see a bit of serious botanising on the way. Cheers. :D
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:53 pm

john923 wrote:What a lovely circuit! We've never done any walking in the Alps which is a poor state of affairs considering they are almost on our doorstep (although your high mountaineering exploits are certainly beyond us). Especially like the flower pics - good to see a bit of serious botanising on the way. Cheers. :D

Thanks John
Yes you should get walking in the Alps - it's neither better nor worse than the Highlands - just completely different - in general much easier.
After I became too decrepit to climb the big mountains, I did concentrate on the flowers. Unfortunately not being a botanist I have to photograph them and then try to identify them from the photos. This is not ideal, but the alternative of carrying around 5kg of Flora Alpina isn't really practical :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Re: Höhenweg 2. Jungen - My favourite walk

Postby Verylatestarter » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:29 am

What a superb walk and amazingly few people around.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Islands:5

Re: Höhenweg 2. Jungen - My favourite walk

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:56 pm

Verylatestarter wrote:What a superb walk and amazingly few people around.

John

Yes they all go to Zermatt and wander round amongst the ugly ski parapphernalia :(
It is perfectly possible to head anticlockwise round the walk and continue up the Jungtal and over to Topali in a day - the scenery is more austere but still dramatic. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87232
Topali is a nice friendly hut - you can book online - with small bedrooms and a stunning evening view - and I 've never known it crowded
5101.jpg
Sunset over the Mischabel from Topali
Next day you can get all the way to Tasch - another longish walk - or head up to the Sollejoch and the Barrhorner
Hohenweg 4 5 and 6
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland