walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knee Crunching Cruachan

Knee Crunching Cruachan

Postby teaandpies » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh

Date walked: 23/10/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 1674m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

By this time 2015 I stopped walking the rest of the year after a particularly painful day in Glen Fyne. My knees were hurting for weeks after that day but this year somethings different, I am ok at the moment no real pain to report and that means more hills :thumbup:

Pieplough would be joining me this time out, it's been ages since we walked together so it was important we do a decent walk Ben Lui was a plan but we agreed it's probably best saved for the longer days next year...pitty I've been wanting to scratch that itch for months if you know what I mean.

Ach well, Ben Cruachan needs done and I see that hill on here all the time so let do it, it'll be fine.

We left Glasgow in the dark and arrived at the station layby not long after first light. There was one other car already parked up with a couple getting ready.

We set off just before them, up the stairs under the railway and into the woods. I read peoples horrendous reports of walking up the hot sticky jungle and I was feeling pretty happy it was autumn :lol:

The train station

Loch Awe

Once out of the woods you can see the dam, this happens a lot soon than I thought t would.

The dam

We elected to walk over the dam because we thought it would be cool.

Crossing the dam

There's decent views of the entire horseshoe from here.

A panorama of the entire walk, looks well easy :wink:

There's a few parties of folk coming up the muddy path from the woods.

The view from the dam

The walkhighland description says to cut off here but you can't now because of earth works being carried out, no big problem just follow the road.

Danger

The reservoir

There will be a few pictures like the below image on this walk report I'm afraid.

Pieplough

Cruachan Reservoir

Once at the end of the road the path turns off and up. It's fairly easy going for a while then it gets steep and loose further on but this is over pretty fast.

The way up

The view from bealach

The wee lochan

It's a bit of a mission from the bealach to the summit, it seems so far away and as you look up you can't see a path but once you get going it's ok.

Sunny & cloud free!

The station seems a long way off

Meall Cuanail

On reaching the summit, the clouds rolled in (typical) heavy dark ones. There was definitely the slightest hint of snow, tiny flakes that seemed to hang in the air as if the cloud it's self was frozen.

Pieplough looking chuffed at the summit

What happened to the trig here and where did it go?

Ben Cruachan's summit

Once we scrambled our way way off the summit, we made our way along the sandy path until the slab loomed out of the gloom. We decided to walk over it. No problem what so ever. We walked across the rock until we reached a wee cleft/chute then made our way up that and hey presto it was all over.

THE SLAB

A wee cloud break

Another silhouette pic

Looking to Drochaid Ghlas

Loch Etive & Ben Starav

Looking back to Ben Cruachan

Beinn a'Bhuiridh looks a doesn't look so bad

Stob Daimh with Beinn a'Chocuill & Beinn Eunaich

We took the extra couple of minutes to visit Drochaid Ghlas and the views were great, worth it.

Looking back to Ben Cruachan again

A panorama silhouette :crazy:

The decent off Drochaid Ghlas was maybe the most frustrating decent of the day it takes a while to drop a short distance because you have to take a bit of care as some of the path has hands on drops, large loose rocks etc. Just be careful, I stood a rock safe looking rock and almost came a cropper on some heafty boulders when the whole thing slid.
Once successfully off the rocks the path changes to that familiar muddy/grassy type which made the going a lot easier now. It was all up to the next Munro but it's a short forgiving section and it was done in one push.

Stob Diamh

On the summit we passed a group of 3, they were well ahead of us a while ago now we were standing with them on the summit. You can see a pair of Black Diamond woman specific walking poles in one of the pictures below that wasn't ours.

Pigplough looking chuffed again

A reluctant model...

A few snaps of the walk between Stob Diamh and Beinn a'Bhuridh which is less flat than it looked from the other side off the horseshoe.

Looking to the Corbett from Stob Garbh

Glen Lochy

Ben Cruachan over there

Enjoying the views Pieplough?

Doesn't look so bad....................................

We took a little time here to rest as we had practically raced over from Stob Diamh.

This last bit of accent is short and so bloody steep. I really wanted to add this hill onto my walk but as soon as we got going I knew I'd be digging deep. I said to my mate 10ft into the walk up I was done but he encouraged me to keep going.
I took a few wee breaks to catch my breath but mercifully it was all over quickly, we had opted for a direct route up, no **** about straight up the side.

Views down to Loch Awe...

and down Loch Awe

This hill has an oddly flat top given how steep it is from nearly every side.

The summit cairn was just up ahead

Looking back to Ben Cruachan...

and back to Stob Diamh

We didn't spend a long time at the summit and when it was time to go I remembered what Bobble at Kenny had written in his report about heading or the near side of the dam to avoid the steep craggy area so I imagined where that was (as you can't see it from the summit) and we went. It worked a treat but the decent is still pretty fricken steep in parts.

The way, way down

Super chuffed to be off that hill

The walk back down the jungle path was 10 times worse than the walk up it in the morning. Big drops for awkward steps, branches everywhere, roots, dog **** and litter. I gave a whoop when I reached the steeps but even these were now painful to walk down :roll:

I was happy to finish.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

(Walked with Pighplough)
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Knee Crunching Cruachan

Postby litljortindan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:22 pm

The classic horseshoe with those great watery views and fine peaks.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland