walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Compleation!!! on the Inn Pinn

Compleation!!! on the Inn Pinn

Postby Guinessman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 28/10/2016

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It has been a 40 year journey. I started my walking career as a young 8 year old doing Silver Howe in the lakes, walking from Chapel stile in Langdale to Stickle tarn and then back along the valley. I was hooked from that day. Things progressed and, on a family holiday to Scotland went up my first Munros Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas in 1976. From then on I had regular holidays either in Glencoe, developing rock climbing skills on the Buachaille or on Skye where I went for 5 years in a row climbing in the Cuillin , inexplicably though never doing the Inn Pinn. Even though it has been a 40 year journey there has been huge gaps, with work, marriage, family, at one stage I didn't get to Scotland for 10 years and even then after that if the weather was crap I wouldn't get up for the whole year.

It was around 2008 that I started to get a bit more time to myself and started to take the campervan up to Scotland for a week in April and May. I did a Munro count which stood at 140 and for the first time I started to think about a compleation. Even in that Spring of that year though I resorted to repeating hills that I felt comfortable with. There was a heavy dump of snow that spring and I felt my skills at the time where just not up to it, so it was really 2009 that I started to research and plan for the munros ahead.

This year has been a huge bonus for me and I reckon I have bagged over 50 munros and gradually the total to do got smaller. The Inn Pinn had been booked twice this year, in July and September and had been cancelled twice due to high winds. I hadn't really planned on the Inn Pinn being the last one, if the plans had worked out in Sept I would have completed in the Fisherfield.

And so it came to Friday 28th October. I had booked Jonah jones of Skye Mountain guides and had chosen that day as it would fit in with the WH meet at Ratagan. I had enviously seen some great pics of Skye and the weather leading up the 28th and sure enough the weather started to change again as the day approached. A mate dropped out not wanting to travel that far to get cancelled. I was meeting dommie and David Main of WH. as I drove up to Skye and was crossing from the Dalwhinnie area the rain was lashing down and didn't look good. I got to the Sligachan hotel and met up David, Theresa, Pauline and Rod who were also going to the WH meet and doing a Corbett beforehand. I then drove down to Glenbrittle and parked up in the Fairy pools car park meeting Dommie and his friend, Yan in the morning.

First sight of the Inn Pinn

Getting kitted out for the Inn Pinn
And so to the climb. I had been nervous about the Inn Pinn. My decent scrambling days were behind me and I had never abseiled since my early 20,s. We got to the base of the Pinn. There were 8 of us, as 4 lads from Alnwick had joined us, thankfully Jonah took our party of 4 first as it was cold and the wind had blasted up the west ridge on the way up. I had doubted whether we would get the thing done. Jonah gave a briefing and tied us on to one rope at 5mtr intervals. I was sure what to expect as I thought he would require a belay from below, but after briefing Jonah was away up to the belay point about 75 feet up. I was first on the rope and got away up. I found it easy all the way up to the belay point with big holds and an easy- ish angle. Got clipped in and then made room on the ledge as the other 3 then came up. Strangley enough I didn't feel one bit of exposure. Its a great perch with huge drops all around but being clipped in gives the security.

Briefing
At the first belay ledge
The next bit was the so called crux. It is the steepest part of the Pinn and probably the thinnest at around 6" to 8" wide and vertical for about 10 feet. The holds were plentiful but the wind was a problem, blowing around 30 mph, W to E blowing me around the corner. The difficulties were over too quickly and I was ascending at an easy angle to compleat.

Yours truly climbing up the Pinn, David following

On top with David
And so to the Abseil point. We dropped around the corner of the big block and clipped into the sling already in place while Jonah sorted out the rope. That done it was time and I went first. To be honest I enjoyed it. You don't really look down, concentrating on the foot placements and just walking down the face. Like the ascent it was over far too quickly.

Dropping down to the abseil point
Abseiling down

Compleation!!
Myself and dommie on Sgurr Mhic Choinnich

A happy man post Inn Pinn!

As a final note I must thank my father for all of this. It was he who got me into hillwalking, gradually introducing me into scrambling, rock climbing and a love of all places wild. He got me into rock climbing in Glencoe in the late 70,s doing routes on the Buachaille and scrambling on the Aonach Eagach. I recall one occasion when we walked it W to E and rather than dropping to the glen to walk back, crossed it again E to W, great memories .
When I reckon it up, I think he has probably done around 100 of the munros with me and was a constant companion up until 2000.
My father on Glas Bheinn Mhor around 1994

Well that's the Munros done and I'm stuck s to what to do next. On the Saturday the weather was crap and I couldn't summon up the energy to go up a hill in the clag opting for a low level walk to camban bothy instead and felt the same on the Sunday. I think it will back to backpacking.

Many thanks to Dommie, David and Jonah for a great day and to David for his kind permission to use some of his pics 2,9,10,12,13.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Compleation!!! on the Inn Pinn

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:09 am

Congratulations :clap: :clap: and well done all :thumbup:

Guinessman wrote:Well that's the Munros done and I'm stuck as to what to do next.
maybe see you on the corbetts :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Coop » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:52 am

Cap doffed to your good self.

Planning this the summer after next ( ain't no plans in place yet- I'm going and that's it)

Cheers for the great report
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Borderhugh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 am

Once again well done Steve :clap: :clap: :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:11 am

Congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: and what a way to finish!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Well done. A great achievement. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby David-Main » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Well done again Steve, it was a pleasure to be part of your completion. Hopefully bump into you in the future. :clap: :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby basscadet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Well done - an achievement indeed :)

I wonder what the longest journey round the munro's has been.. My dad is hoping to compleat next year at 70 - 50 years after his first :shock:

Guinessman wrote:Well that's the Munros done and I'm stuck as to what to do next.

Did you do your round with blinkers on? Did you not see any hills lower than 914M which looked worth a few hours of your time? :crazy: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Congratulations. Like you, husband completed on the Inn Pin having also had to wait to do the Fisherfield. We, however got a fantastic day for it, after , like you, a couple of cancellations.
At first, we had been sniffy about the Corbetts, but there are some great challenges among them. The Cobbler, the Fisherfied Corbetts, the Auch Five and then some Corbetts take you to a whole new range of places, Clisham on Harris (fantastic), The Paps of Jua, all the Moidart, Morar and Ardnamurchan hills including Garbh Bheinn. Then the Grahams equally have a lot to offer: Stac Pollaidh, Suilven, An Stac and Meith Bheinn, the Grahams on South Uist. A pity to leave these unvisited just because they are not Munros.

Anyway, a well-earned rest....at least for the next day or two.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Guinessman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for your comments everybody. Sgurr, you got me thinking about the Corbetts but I have such a competitive edge that I would have to finish them and at the minute I'm not sure I can be bothered with all the time, effort and travel. think I might get back into backpacking more, that way I can use the train and avoid the bloody awful lengthy drives.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:16 pm

Many congrats from me :clap: :clap: Fabulous hill (if you can call it that) and great photo's, I still remember the ascent/descent vividly :lol:

As for the future, you will find whatever you do next a bit of an anti-climax - I opted for Donald's mainly because they are nearer and can recommend them, the Borders is a fantastic area (apart from the obvious - wind farms :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Told you it was easy ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We were thinking about you all day, especially since we could see the In Pinn so clearly. So glad the wind didn't behave too badly :D :D

Congratulations again Steve. :clap: :clap:

PS Whatever Theresa is offering you for the campervan, I'll go a tenner more :wink: :wink:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 pm

Congratulations once again Steve. You earned your beer at Ratagan that night! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby J888ohn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Many congrats Steve. Quite a journey and a great way to finish the munros. :clap:
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Many congratulations from me & Kevin, too! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now you can relax and do what you fancy!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland