walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WH meet: clag but who cares :)

WH meet: clag but who cares :)

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Date walked: 29/10/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 784m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit late posting my WH Meet report, so apologies for the delay! Because everything has already been said about this momentous event in hillwalking history, not much to add from me :lol:

Because Kevin worked on Friday, we could only come for one night and we decided to camp as that would make us more flexible. Surprisingly, it was mild enough that we didn't even get cold in the tent (I was worried I'd have cold feet and calf cramps... As an old Polish proverb says: old age - no fun!). But first thing in the morning, we drove to Ratagan hostel to join other Walkhighlanders and pick the route for the day :D

Because we have already done almost everything in this area (apart form an odd Graham here and there) we didn't mind a repeat. Sadly, the clag was low and no chance for views :( Sgurr Mhic Bharraich was the target, we had done it once in winter conditions and loved it - it's a good half day hill.

It is possible to do a circular here (as WH route suggests) but because the ground was rather wet, we decided to stick to the path:

Track_WALKHIGHLANDS 29-10-16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk starts from the campsite car park. After much deliberation, Kevin decided to leave his precious camera behind, as it was too bulky to carry with little chance of taking any decent photos... but of course first he had to show it around! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF7878.JPG

The path into Gleann Undalain must have been recently used by quad drivers, as it was mucky-yucky to start with, later it improved:
DSCF7883.JPG

Our target, not much hope for full panoramas:
DSCF7884.JPG

A five minutes re-grouping break :lol: :lol:
DSCF7890.JPG

Coire Caol:
DSCF7891.JPG

Kevin happy despite the cloud - first time for ages he didn't have to carry the heavy photographing equipment up the hill!
DSCF7897.JPG

The ridge of Biod an Fhithich form the upper slopes of "our" Corbett:
DSCF7898.JPG

We followed the path all the way to the high col, where we turned right just before a wee lochan (Loch Coire nan Crogachan). From now, it was wild vegetation and quite steep, but hoah! Nothing can stop a wild WH bunch :lol:
DSCF7906.JPG

DSCF7910.JPG

With the steep crags above me and wind picking up, I looked a bit on the wild site, too :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF7908.JPG

When we entered the clag, good navigation was necessary to find the true cairn among the lumps and bumps of the summit ridge...
DSCF7912.JPG

...but we succeeded! A repeat for us but since it was a repeat in great company, we can even forgive the clag for hanging around!
DSCF7915.JPG

DSCF7917.JPG

On the way down we took a slightly different line of descent towards the col and the path:
DSCF7926.JPG

The scary cliffs again:
DSCF7922.JPG

Weather improving ever so slightly:
DSCF7927.JPG

Back at low level - Loch Duich from just above the campsite:
DSCF7937.JPG

We were back down in just over 4 hours - in less cloudy circumstances it would probably take longer, as this hill is a superb viewpoint, such a shame we didn't get the views. To see the true beauty of Sgurr Mhic Bharraich, here is my old TR with photos.
We were glad to be back in the campsite so early, we had plenty of time to pitch the tent, pump up airbeds and cook dinner (when Rodmiester and Mountain Thyme went on to climb a second Corbett!). OK, we were not very ambitious, maybe a bit lazy, but we got enough leg exercise from airbed pumping :lol:
DSCF7942.JPG

The campsite is small but very neat, despite an interesting "des res" in the corner :lol:
DSCF7944.JPG

Cooking gear:
DSCF7947.JPG

After a meal of tinned curry and pot noodles, it was time for the crazy evening in Ratagan Hostel, full of fun, games and additional entertainment :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF7960.JPG

Many thanks to everybody on the meet, all friends, old and new ones, it was great to have met you all and I hope I didn't get on anybody's nerves too much - I know I'm an annoying, meowing creature!!!
Hope to see you all in April :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: WH meet: clag but who cares :)

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Not wanting to rub it in but we got fabulous views from this one in November 2014 - but looks like you had a lot of fun to make up for what was lacking in the view department! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: WH meet: clag but who cares :)

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Nice one BP. Ive just noticed this report. It was a nice wee hill despite the clag :)
It was nice to see you again :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland