walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Barf Direct +

Barf Direct +

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barf, Broom Fell, Graystones, Lord's Seat, Whinlatter

Date walked: 04/11/2016

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 16.4 km

Ascent: 1140m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had Friday off work and I'd not been to the Lakes for ages so I decided to risk a dodgy forecast (rain and hail) to take in a few of the Lord Seat Fells again.

I'd done the direct route up Barf before and remembered it as a stiff and awkward scramble in parts with one tricky move near the end. The wet weather would also cause the scree and rock to be wet today but I was of the opinion I could always turn back and take the forest route (still steep mind) if needed.

1 The Clerk.JPG
The Clerk had a coat of paint last time I was here but he is now back to being a pretty insignificant fellow.

2 Scree Slop up to Barf.JPG
Initial scree slope up to the Bishop. Steep and loose but safe.

3 The Bishop.JPG
The Bishop - always a landmark.

4 Slape Crag.JPG
A rough and steep track heads up to below Slape Crag where there is one awkward and exposed rock step that slants up a crack to the higher ground.

It's a mountain rescue hotspot as people can become stuck here when wandering on to the direct route rather than the forest route.

Today the rock was very slippy and the obvious foothold couldn't be trusted so I had to wedge my knee in to get up this bit.

5 Barf summit.JPG
Once beyond Slape Crag things get easier and you eventually hit the summit of Barf.

A superb rough little climb but probably best attempted on dry rock in the summer.

5 Lords Seat summit.JPG
I got my first real downpour as I headed over to Lord's Seat summit

6 Broom Fell summit.JPG
Cloud clearing again as I look to Aiken Beck from Broom Fell's summit

7 Cairn on BF.JPG
Large cairn near Broom Fell's summit.

The walk round to Graystones is easy enough from here. The ground had so far been very wet in parts so I avoided any temptation to head over to Ling and Sale Fell as I was sure Wythop Moss would be saturated and I didn't want to get wet from above and below!

8 Graystones.JPG
Graystones summit

9 Whinlatter and G Pike ahead.JPG
Looking over to Whinlatter and Grisedale Pike

10 Aiken Beck.JPG
After the steep descent from Graystones I headed into the quiet side valley of Aiken Beck.

The obvious route for these five would involve climbing Whinlatter or Graystones first but that would omit the excellent climb up Barf.

11 Brown How.JPG
Brown How summit.

It's a steep pull from Aiken Beck up to the Whinlatter ridge. I opted to take a line just where the trees ended which put me between Brown How and Whinlatter Top. This involved a few fence climbs but there was a a bit of a path to help in parts.

12 To Whinlatter.JPG
Along the ridge to the main summit

13 Whinlatter Top.JPG
Whinlatter Top looking to Lords Seat - clearer than earlier but showers were coming and going all day long.

14 G Pike.JPG
Grisedale Pike ahead as I descend Whinlatter.

Firstly down the fellside then into the forest and via good tracks back to the Visitor Centre.

15 Follow the blue route.JPG
I would need to follow Comb Beck to get back to Thornthwaite and handily the first part of this is a well marked forest walk (the blue one)

16 Autumn Colours.JPG
Autumn Colours in Whinlatter Forest - offering good shelter from what was by now heavy rain

17 Barf again.JPG
Barf again with the direct route in profile as I near the car park. Such a good looking hill.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Barf Direct +

Postby ChrisW » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Lovely write up Broggy :clap:
I didn't want to get wet from above and below
:lol: :lol: This reminded me of home so much
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland