walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein beag and sgurr eilde mor

Binnein beag and sgurr eilde mor

Postby Coop » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Èilde Mòr and Binnein Beag, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 04/11/2016

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1582m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

"Choose wisely my son choose wisely"
It was beinn mhanach or back to Kinlochleven.
I think I made the right choice today.
Left at 5 and parked up by the car park at the church. Was walking by 7.
Had only done binnein mor and na gruagaichean a few days earlier so I could get a shift on up to the lochan.
Had a look back when clear of the woods and all glencoe summits covered in snow. I was expecting it later today but not last night.
Fantastic views.
Reached the stream although it was like a raging river!! Messed about up and down trying to get an easier place to cross. Went for it over a couple of boulders. Feet shipped, I went down and in. Soaked!! Though for a brief second about sacking it and then had a good word with myself about why I was doing this today. Jacket and gloves went on and so did I.
Reached the lochan and what a sight sgurr eilde mor was. Just a big snow pyramid- awesome. Down to the junction and headed round to the next wee lochan at the bottom of binnein beag.
Little bits of a path through the boulders, snow and scree showed through and it wasn't long till I was up at the shelter and cairn.
Views all round were amazing. The Ben looked so close and majestic. Quick coffee, flag picture then it was down and round again to the junction where I headed up left to the wee cairn atop sgurr eilde mor.
The scree wasn't too bad as it was frozen together mostly. Made my own path up as the snow was covering everything.
Turned left and reached the summit. 2 wee cairns. Cloud was coming and going and it got a little colder up here. Nice views back to where I'd just been and down to the reservoir.
Back down it was, sliding!! And glad I had a pole with me to stop myself.
Onto the stalkers path again where it snowed a little, but this turned to a light rain drizzle the further I descended.
I kept thinking- I've got to get back over that stream again!!
After much pfaffing around I eventually got across dry about 100 metres upstream.
Back down to the carpark at just after 3, changed, money in the parking honesty box and another coffee.
Met another lad who was soaked wet through as well. He had just done Binnien mor and Na gruagaichean-and he went in the stream as well :D
Brilliant views, great day, today was what it's all about.
Cap doffed to Binnien beag and sgurr eilde mor
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Binnein beag and sgurr eilde mor

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:54 pm

A very useful report as we are hoping to head that way Monday and now know we need to be ready for anything. You are very brave to continue after your soaking, :lol: Thank you for posting
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:37 pm

There's a parking honesty box? I must have missed that when I was there last May. Probably too keen to get going for the hills!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Aye, seems like winter has arrived - the mamores looked beautiful from Glen Coe this weekend - I'm jealous of your trip :D

I failed to make the top of lagangarbh buttress on the buachaille due to a cascade of ice blocking the way - no glory for me :? :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:A very useful report as we are hoping to head that way Monday and now know we need to be ready for anything. You are very brave to continue after your soaking, :lol: Thank you for posting

Do i detect a hint of sarcasm there :D
A decent pair of trousers/ over trousers is now on the Xmas wish list along with new boots.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Coop wrote:
Do i detect a hint of sarcasm there :D

I'm a softie who has been known to turn round in winter over wet feet :lol: so no sarcasm intended, just impressed by your motivation :) Fortunately we were lucky none of the streams were in spate yesterday :) but I had rembered you saying about a crossing 100m upstream just in case.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland