walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ratagan Meet, Day 1, The Brother`s Ridge

Ratagan Meet, Day 1, The Brother`s Ridge

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:25 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Date walked: 28/10/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1220m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the weekend of the Ratagan meet hosted by Darren & Anne in Kintail, and Jim , Michelle and myself had headed up late on the thursday night, camped behind The Cluanie Inn so that we could get a walk done on the friday before the meet started in earnest.
Earnest.
Adjective.
Synonyms: serious, serious-minded, solemn, grave, sober, humourless, staid, steady, intense.
(Never was a word used in earnest to mean the exact opposite of it) :lol:

After a cold, lonely and uncomfortable night spent in the tent, ( I speak for myself only here :problem:) we packed up our tents, secreted Jim & Michelle`s bikes for the return trip down the road and headed to the car park for the beginning of The Brother`s Ridge walk.
IMG_6893 WH.jpg
Car park sign with nice background

We sat in the car and had some breakfast first, some still hot tomato soup from Jim`s magic flask. As we slurped we heard the unmistakable roar of a RAF fighter jet overhead.
Out of the car and although it was turning into a nice bright day as the sun was beginning to pop up above the mountains it was a tad windy. Tad windy down here, mega windy up there!
We started off onto the path and straight up the golden hillside which is steep to begin with and continues being steep for ever...
IMG_6894 WH.jpg
Golden hillside

The two athletes marched on up the hill as I looked for any excuse to take a break. I was blowing out my arse already. Oh look some hills, think I`ll get my camera out.
IMG_6895 WH.jpg
Sgurr na Sgine & The Saddle

I caught up with my companions as they had waited for me just at the top of the forest and carried on along a path across the top of the tree line. We soon realised we had walked too far and had missed the path up to the bealach. We double backed and decided to head up just before we saw the path and the marker cairn showing the way, that we had blindly walked past.
Again the path was relentlessly steep up to the Bealach an Lapain, but we knew once we reached there, that the hard work would be over and we could enjoy the day up on the ridge.
IMG_6906 wh.jpg
Sisters to the left

IMG_6908 WH.jpg
Saileag & brothers to the right

It`s a simple walk up to the first Munro of the day, but of course the higher you get the more that you can see and the Five Sisters ridge began to reveal itself behind us.
IMG_6911 WH.jpg
Five Sisters

IMG_6914 WH.jpg
the view up the Gleann Lichd from Saileag summit cairn

14889798_1262778637078101_9016089437777477842_o WH.jpg
Saileag done

The walk along the ridge is easy going and not ridgy at all and although there were dark clouds hanging above us they never threatened to drop and spoil the views which where panoramic and made the day more enjoyable.
14918734_1262778983744733_6693634885147383999_o WH.jpg
Five sisters behind me

IMG_6919 WH.jpg
Beinn Fhada

IMG_6927 WH.jpg
south glen shiel ridge

As we headed along towards the central Munro we heard that roar again and looked around for the high flying jet, but it was way below us chicanning round the bends of Glen Shiel following the road below.

IMG_6928 WH.jpg
wee plane below

IMG_6930 WH.jpg
ridge up to Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg

IMG_6932 WH.jpg
Jim & Michelle waiting for me at the 1014m cairn

IMG_6935 WH.jpg
Stone dyke wall

IMG_6938 WH.jpg
nearly there

To get to the true summit of Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg there`s a bit of clambouring over some boulders and a wee climb up to the perfectly round summit cairn to be done. I did fancy a wee climb up onto it for a photo but it was quite windy and not to be attempted today.
IMG_6943 WH.jpg
Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg summit cairn

We quickly set off on our way as it was too windy to hang around.
As we set off down to the next bealach I began to feel some pain in my right knee and had to slow down and use my walking pole. We stopped for a break down here where we were out of the wind a bit and the sun even stayed out of the clouds longer to charge us up a bit.
After a wee munch we headed up towards the last Munro of the day. My knee was feeling better after the rest and climbing up was better than walking downhill.
Although it is quite an easy walk I collapsed in a pile on top of the small cairn on the flat top of Aonach Meadhoin. I hadn`t been out in a while !
14876658_1262779527078012_1504063753795206387_o WH.jpg
Aonach Meadhoin summit

IMG_6951 WH.jpg
looking back

IMG_6958 WH.jpg
heading for the last climb

All that was left now was to complete the ridge walk down and up onto Sgurr an Fhuarail and the long walk down to The Cluanie.
IMG_6965 WH.jpg
cairn at end of the ridge

It`s an initially steep drop down the grassy side and care had to be taken until we got onto the more gentle lower slopes. On the way down we could see some walkers coming out of the glen from Ciste Dubh and hollered and waved to them. I spy a lift back to the car I thought :lol:
We managed to get down to the Cluanie in time for Gill, Lynne and Ann to pass and give Jim a lift to his car whilst me and Michelle went for a drink !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Ratagan Meet, Day 1, The Brother`s Ridge

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Cracking report Tommy and a great way to kick off the weekend ...... in earnest! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Graeme D wrote:Cracking report Tommy and a great way to kick off the weekend ...... in earnest! :lol:

cheers Graeme, glad you enjoyed it :thumbup:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Jaxter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:56 pm

So this is why we had pants weather on the Saturday - you used up all the good on Friday :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland