walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Eilde Mor

Sgurr Eilde Mor

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 07/11/2016

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1133m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast was for a clear dry day with some sunshine and a windchill temperature of -9 on the summits. Two recent trips to the Mamores have exceeded our expectations so we decided to head west again and given the short day length aim just for Sgurr Eilde Mor. The high traverse around Sgor Eilde Beag to Coire nan Lochan give this route a wonderfully remote feel and Sgurr Eilde Mor has splendid views.
IMG_3528.JPG
The Route
Arriving at the car park we deliberated over whether to take ice axes, from what we could see the snow covered varied considerably between summits, we decided to err on the side of caution.
IMG_3501.JPG
08:30 Leaving the car park at Kinlochleven
IMG_3502.JPG
Through the woods with the last of the Autumn Colours
The path through the woods was very rough and eroded and although we tried to follow the zigs zags and not add to the erosion it was often difficult to work out which track was the main path. Once out of the woods the path continued for almost 2km across the moorland before reaching the track.
IMG_3504.JPG
9:40 Crossing the track and the start of the path up Sgorr Eilde Beag
IMG_3505.JPG
Good views across Loch Leven
IMG_3507.JPG
And to the moody skies Over Glen Coe
We were not expecting more snow but the sky over Glen Coe had us wondering :wink:
The path was climbing steadily upwards and as we crossed the Allt Coire nan Laogh we began to wonder how much further up Sgor Eilde Beag we should be going.
IMG_3508.JPG
Don't want to summit Sgor Eilde Beag by accident

The answer was a very long way, but this travers was one of the most enjoyable sections of the walk :D At last we could see Sgurr Eilde Mor peeping up in front of us and shortly after this there was a cairn by the path.
IMG_3510.JPG
Sgurr Eilde Mor comes into view
Presuming the cairn marked the path leading to the summit of Sgor Eilde Beag we continued straight ahead on a track created by many feet. It was a very boggy way to go and after a while saw the higher path still traversing the mountain, but by then it was too late to retrace our steps so we contoured round some peat hags, before climbing up slightly to regain the path as it descended into Coire an Lchain. It was an impressive Coire and Bealach with routes leading to the various surrounding summits. Our objective lay invitingly ahead.
IMG_3511.JPG
11:30 and ready to ascend Sgurr Eilde Mor
The scree path was icy, which perhaps did not add too much difficult to the ascent but as we went up I admitted to feeling a little anxious about how we would manage coming down.
IMG_3512.JPG
The Icy Scree
Despite the difficulties we were soon up onto the top ridge,
IMG_3513.JPG
Up on the top
where the forecast of -9 C felt very accurate.
IMG_3514.JPG
12:35 Summit
There was no shelter from the wind on the summit so we decided to wait a while for our brew :( . A few steps on the icy descent path and crampons seemed like a good idea. Microspikes would have been better, but 10 point walking crampons made short work of the descent and allowed us to enjoy the views.
IMG_3515.JPG
Binnean Mor
IMG_3516.JPG
Looking across to Ben Nevis
IMG_3517.JPG
Almost down
IMG_3518.JPG
13:30 Coire an Lochain and time for lunch
IMG_3527.JPG
Jeremy Jetboil pot admiring Binnean Beag whilst he brews up
Then it was time to go.
IMG_3520.JPG
A last look at Sgurr Eilde Mor and Coire an Lochain
IMG_3529.JPG
Sun over Glen Coe
IMG_3522.JPG
Traversing Sgor Eilde Beag
IMG_3530.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG
Crossing the Allt Coire nan Laogh
IMG_3531.JPG
16:00 at the track looking towards Loch Leven
IMG_3526.JPG
An irristable bench in the woods.
and back to the car for 17:45.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Sgurr Eilde Mor

Postby katyhills » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Cracking hill isn't it? Photos never really do it justice. That's a lovely set of photos :)

The path splits to contour round Eilde Beag but it would be very easy to miss it. It's easy to see on the way back!
I was lucky - I had a glorious day to do it last month. Decided not to carry on to Binnein Beag although it was very tempting, but I have knee problems. The scree was so loose and slippy that I skirted right about fifty or sixty feet from the ridge and came round the 'end'. It was one step forward and about four back.

DSCF2770 (800x600).jpg
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby katyhills » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Sorry C.creeper - my post seemed a bit weird because of how I worded it about the photos :(
You posted a lovely set of pix !
What I meant was that, looking at photos in reports, I thought it looked a terrific hill, so I knew it would be even better in the flesh, and I wasn't disappointed. I often think photos don't do some views justice.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Great day out in the Mamores and beautiful photos too :clap: :clap: :clap:
I enjoyed the area two years ago, thanks for refreshing my memories :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Coop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:18 am

If it makes you feel any better; I walked past that wee cairn and rejoined the path further on - twice in a week!!!

Great walks, great summits and views, great area
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:23 pm

katyhills wrote:Cracking hill isn't it? Photos never really do it justice. That's a lovely set of photos :)

katyhills wrote:Sorry C.creeper - my post seemed a bit weird because of how I worded it about the photos :(
You posted a lovely set of pix !
What I meant was that, looking at photos in reports, I thought it looked a terrific hill, so I knew it would be even better in the flesh, and I wasn't disappointed. I often think photos don't do some views justice.

Hi Katy,
Thank you for your kind words abou my photos and I am glad you liked them. It certainly is a cracking hill, I am glad you had a good day for it as well. Your post wasn't weird and I agree most hills and views, including this one, are much more impressive in the flesh than can ever be caught on camera, especially by the likes of me, which is one of the things that makes it so worthwhile getting out there. Having said that I loved your photo and the aspect of the mountain it showed.
katyhills wrote:The path splits to contour round Eilde Beag but it would be very easy to miss it. It's easy to see on the way back!
I was lucky - I had a glorious day to do it last month. Decided not to carry on to Binnein Beag although it was very tempting, but I have knee problems. The scree was so loose and slippy that I skirted right about fifty or sixty feet from the ridge and came round the 'end'. It was one step forward and about four back.

The best thing about doing just one summit in a situation like this is the good excuse to go back again, but with something new added to the walk each time :D I would far rather take my time and enjoy and explore an area than bag lots of tops in one go, (although I can understand the pleasure of the other approach.) I can imagine that scree would be problematic, the rocks were too icy for us to be able to skirt round it but the crampons worked a treat :D In fact they worked so well we wondered about designing a crampon for non icy scree. CC
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Great day out in the Mamores and beautiful photos too :clap: :clap: :clap:
I enjoyed the area two years ago, thanks for refreshing my memories :D

Thank you Petr, an area for creating impressive memories.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Coop wrote:If it makes you feel any better; I walked past that wee cairn and rejoined the path further on - twice in a week!!!

Great walks, great summits and views, great area

Going straight past the cairn is a far more intuitive way to go :lol: and by the look of it very popular :lol:
I second all your greats.
CC
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland