walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Caudale Moor to Dove Crag

Caudale Moor to Dove Crag

Postby dav2930 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caudale Moor, Dove Crag, Little Hart Crag, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Little Hart Crag, Red Screes, Stony Cove Pike (Caudale Moor)

Date walked: 05/11/2016

Time taken: 6.75

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1290m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We (Karl and myself) set off from the car park at Brother's Water at about 8.30am and walked up the road to Hartsop village to begin this round which has quite a lot of up and down for the number of tops it takes in (only four). The weather was breezy and rather chilly (especially in comparison with the previous weekend), but at least the tops were clear of clag.

P1020047.JPG
Pasture Beck

P1020049 (1).JPG
Retrospective view of Pasture Beck

P1020053 (1).JPG
Head of Ullswater from Threshthwaite Mouth

We were expecting it to be blowing a hoolie at the col of Threshthwaite Mouth, but it wasn't too bad after all.

P1020054.JPG
Froswick and Ill Bell from Threshthwaite Mouth

On reaching the plateau of Caudale Moor the wind actually died down, which seemed quite strange - not that we were complaining! :lol:

P1020055.JPG
Summit of Caudale Moor (Stony Cove Pike).

P1020056.JPG
The Ill Bell ridge from Caudale Moor

P1020057.JPG
A snow-dusted Helvellyn range from Caudale Moor

P1020058.JPG
Coniston Old Man from Caudale Moor

We stopped briefly at Kirkstone for a swig of coffee, before the steep slog up Red Screes. Pity the Inn was closed (for the season). :?

P1020059.JPG
Kirkstone Inn from St. Raven's Edge

P1020060.JPG
Glimpse of Windermere from St. Raven's Edge

P1020062.JPG
The Scafells, Gable, Pillar and High Stile from Red Screes

At the top of Red Screes the wind started gusting in earnest. It certainly made it difficult to hold the camera steady, or even to stand still on one spot. :shock:

P1020063.JPG
Fairfield and Helvellyn from Red Screes

P1020064.JPG
Windermere and Morecambe Bay reflecting silvery sunlight

P1020065.JPG
Summit of Red Screes, Karl enduring the gale while I try to keep the camera steady...

P1020066.JPG
View north from Red Screes over High Hartsop Dodd

Down to Scandale Pass and back up to the rocky summit of Little Hart Crag.

P1020068.JPG
Dove Crag and Helvellyn from Little Hart Crag

P1020073.JPG
Back to Red Screes, Ill Bell and High Street from Dove Crag

Lunch stop in the lee of the summit rocks of Dove Crag.

P1020074.JPG
Windy weather on summit of Dove Crag

P1020075.JPG
Descending into Dovedale

Interesting descent into Dovedale - one of my favourite Lakeland side-valleys - on a well-laid path, passing beside the awesome Dove Crag after which the fell is named.

P1020077.JPG
Dove Crag

P1020078.JPG
Craggy head of Dovedale

P1020079 (1).JPG
Getting lower down in Dovedale

P1020080.JPG
Across Patterdale from Dovedale

Lovely autumn colours in the trees lower down in the valley, though the branches are starting to look bare now. Winter's around the corner.

P1020082.JPG
Late Autumn in lower Dovedale

Back at the car by 3.15pm. - another very enjoyable walk. Plenty of daylight left but the days are getting shorter now and it'll soon be time pack the rucksacks with those extra items reserved for the rigours of Winter.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Caudale Moor to Dove Crag

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Nice one. The dusting of white stuff in the far distance augers well for the next months!

Dove Crag looks great for climbing/scrambling. I've done a bit of chasing, but only managed to find an E2 climb. Do you know if there are any scrambles on it??
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Another nice hike Dav and covering some distance and ascent with so much daylight to spare :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:39 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Nice one. The dusting of white stuff in the far distance augers well for the next months!

Thanks AK.
There's already a lot more snow on the fells (and the North Pennines) than there was on Saturday. Let's hope we get a proper winter this time round! :wink:

Alteknacker wrote:Dove Crag looks great for climbing/scrambling. I've done a bit of chasing, but only managed to find an E2 climb. Do you know if there are any scrambles on it??

Well it's certainly great for hard climbing (i.e. HVS and above) - it's one of the steepest and fiercest crags in the Lakes. No scrambles are mentioned in R.B. Evans's Scrambles in the Lake District and the easiest climb on it is Westmorland's Route (Mild Severe) which goes approximately up the left-hand edge of the crag. I've not done this so I can't say how viable it would be as a solo - probably pushing it a bit I'd think. I'm guessing the E2 you mention is Extol - a legendary Whillans classic. I've not done that either and probably never will now.

Elsewhere in Dovedale it might be worth considering Gill Crag (aka Dovedale Slabs) which has a Diff and several VDiffs of around 50m long. The Main Slab Route (VD) makes a good solo as there's no protection on it anyway! Did it many years ago and found it very pleasant with no particular difficulties.

But, if you haven't already done it, by far the best top-end scramble in the Patterdale area (if not in the entire Lakes), is Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday Crag. It's a grade 3 with a short, avoidable crux of Mod/Diff and a fabulous crest of pinnacles above. Going by some of the things you've done before, you shouldn't have any problems soloing this. It can be tricky to find but is well worth seeking out. It ends just below the summit of St. Sunday Crag, from where you can carry on to Fairfield, Hart Crag and down the Hartsop-above-How ridge; or alternatively across to Dollywaggon Pike and Helvellyn and down Striding Edge. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Postby dav2930 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:44 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another nice hike Dav and covering some distance and ascent with so much daylight to spare :thumbup:

Thanks Chris. We maybe should have extended it a bit, but we didn't want to be too late for tea and sticky buns in Glenridding :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:38 pm

dav2930 wrote:....
Well it's certainly great for hard climbing (i.e. HVS and above) - it's one of the steepest and fiercest crags in the Lakes. No scrambles are mentioned in R.B. Evans's Scrambles in the Lake District and the easiest climb on it is Westmorland's Route (Mild Severe) which goes approximately up the left-hand edge of the crag. I've not done this so I can't say how viable it would be as a solo - probably pushing it a bit I'd think. I'm guessing the E2 you mention is Extol - a legendary Whillans classic. I've not done that either and probably never will now.

Elsewhere in Dovedale it might be worth considering Gill Crag (aka Dovedale Slabs) which has a Diff and several VDiffs of around 50m long. The Main Slab Route (VD) makes a good solo as there's no protection on it anyway! Did it many years ago and found it very pleasant with no particular difficulties.

But, if you haven't already done it, by far the best top-end scramble in the Patterdale area (if not in the entire Lakes), is Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday Crag. It's a grade 3 with a short, avoidable crux of Mod/Diff and a fabulous crest of pinnacles above. Going by some of the things you've done before, you shouldn't have any problems soloing this. It can be tricky to find but is well worth seeking out. It ends just below the summit of St. Sunday Crag, from where you can carry on to Fairfield, Hart Crag and down the Hartsop-above-How ridge; or alternatively across to Dollywaggon Pike and Helvellyn and down Striding Edge. :)

Thanks for all this incredibly useful information, dav. Yes, the climb I found was Extol!
Unfortunately I left it very late in life to start climbing, and I'm pretty well sure that I shouldn' t be tackling anything tougher than VDiff as a solo now (unless the consequences of problems aren't too serious, like the TD Gap).
I've looked up Pinnacle Ridge, and from what I can see from the images it looks both fun and eminently doable. The crest of pinnacles looks quite exhilarating. Many thanks - once again - for the tip. I really appreciate the inf.

BTW do you happen to know whether the narrow gorge/gulley just down from Broad Stand, as you descend towards the Foxes Tarn Gulley, is a recognized scrambling route?? I passed by this at the end of a longish walk, and set off up it, only to decide after about 6 metres that I was too tired to cope with a down-climb if I was forced to retreat. But it looks quite enticing ... :)
Scafell Gulley 2.png
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:16 pm

My pleasure AK.
If that gully/chimney is just down from Broad Stand then it'll be Mickledore Chimney (Diff). The FRCC climbing guide says it's best avoided in summer conditions but that it can give a good ice climb in winter. (So it's probably very loose.)
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 am

dav2930 wrote:My pleasure AK.
If that gully/chimney is just down from Broad Stand then it'll be Mickledore Chimney (Diff). The FRCC climbing guide says it's best avoided in summer conditions but that it can give a good ice climb in winter. (So it's probably very loose.)

Yes, that's the one. I didn't notice whether it seemed loose on the abortive attempt I made, but what I did see was how horribly wet and slimy it seemed, and hence most unsuitable if I was forced to retreat.

OK, not one for me then - I've no experience of ice climbing at all.

Thanks - yet again - for the inf.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:51 pm

A fine route, dav. Nice walks in and out along those two valleys were just as good as staying on the ridge to get more tops. At least there was no temptation to resist at the Kirkstone Pass Inn.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby The English Alpinist » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:19 pm

That's an interesting route of 2 halves, pity about the Inn being closed - would have made it just perfect! Great photos capturing an early winter's day. We truly are on the edge of the wild season now.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:24 pm

simon-b wrote:A fine route, dav. Nice walks in and out along those two valleys were just as good as staying on the ridge to get more tops. At least there was no temptation to resist at the Kirkstone Pass Inn.

Hey, thanks Simon. Yes those two valleys are well worth exploring.
And if the Inn had been open we definitely could not have resisted the temptation! :lol:

The English Alpinist wrote:That's an interesting route of 2 halves, pity about the Inn being closed - would have made it just perfect! Great photos capturing an early winter's day. We truly are on the edge of the wild season now.

Thanks TEA! We kind of knew the Inn closes in October for the season; but that didn't stop us secretly hoping they'd changed the rules! Our hopes were raised a bit when we saw the number of cars parked there, only to be dashed when we arrived :? :lol:
Yep, winter's on the way (though it's turned mild again now!). It's amazing to think you did all the Wainwrights last winter; a fantastic achievement to look back on.
dav2930
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland