walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday with the shepherd

Birthday with the shepherd

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 12/11/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 599m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Indian summer of 2016 is officially over and we have entered the period of depressing, wet, cloudy weather, when sunny mornings are a dim memory :( But I was desperate to get out on the hills for my birthday celebrations - round number, I'm officially a lady in her late years!
Old I might be but I'm still just as feisty and going up a wee hill on a gray, depressing day was exactly what I wanted as a birthday gift!
Sunday was predicted to be a washout, so Saturday seemed the only chance for a climb. Sadly, Kevin was suffering from man flu (ahhh, all the men know what I'm talking about... blocked nose, sneezing, headaches, etc.) so i didn't want to force him up anything big and steep. Plus it had rained heavily the previous night and I expected water everywhere.
Meall a'Bhuachaille is an easy Corbett, probably one of the easiest to climb in the north-east of Scotland, maybe apart from Ben Rinnes. It's also extremely popular with tourists, but to be honest we didn't expect too many Sunday walkers heading up - weather was far to gloomy!
It was my third visit to this hill, our usual route is counter-clockwise, with the addition of Creagan Gorm:

Track_MEALL A BUACHAILLE 12-11-16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started from Glenmore Lodge and walked through the forest to the Green Loch. Surprisingly, not much water in it, I had seen it full to bursting in the past, not so much today:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 001.JPG

The day couldn't be more gloomy and depressing, so dark and sad :( Kevin headed up the path despite his man flu:
DSCF7963.JPG

In places, the path was not a path any more, rather a deep stream:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 007.JPG

I was hoping to see snow (Wyvis had been all white the week before) and yes, there was some on the higher slopes of the Cairngorms, but the temperature reached +10*C down in the glens, so not much chance of the white stuff to survive for long...
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 010.JPG

We walked past Ryvoan Bothy and started the ascent. Usually we stop by the bothy for a photo session, but there wasn't much to photograph this time, very poor light and low cloud. At least the wind was not as bad as earlier forecast.
Ryvoan Bothy from above with the slopes of the Cairngorms behind:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 015.JPG

To the east, into Moray, weather was much better, even some sunshine over the hills:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 018.JPG

The path is well made and even an elderly lady like me could manage easily :lol:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 021.JPG

Panorama - looking south-east from the slopes of Meall a'Bhuachaille:
DSCF7965.JPG

As we gained height, we saw the cloud descend on "our" hill and we knew there was no chance for any summit views, so we stopped for a short photo session, just as long as we could see anything at all.
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 026.JPG

The Cairngorms in full glory, An Lochan Uaine visible in the trench of the pass to the right:
DSCF7967.JPG

I always fancied Bynack More in full winter conditions, but I'd prefer to have a better day for it.
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 033.JPG

As soon as we entered the cloud, the atmosphere became even more depressing, though I tried to lighten up the spirit by playing hey-ho happy birthday girl :lol: :lol:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 037.JPG

Views from near the summit :shock: :shock: :shock:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 038.JPG

We arrived by the cairn surprisingly quickly and here was a good excuse for a break, cup of tea and apfelstrudel (recipe the courtesy of my grandma). Lucy was chuffed because she has just climbed her 30th Corbett! Kevin was not chuffed at all, 'cause he was running out of Fisherman's Friends :lol:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 040.JPG

A lady in her late years posing on the summit of Shepherd's hill:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 044.JPG

We sat by the cairn for quite a while, waiting for the cloud to shift, maybe we would get some views, but nada. Last time we climbed this Corbett in winter conditions, we met a Brocken spectre on the summit, but this time no such luck...
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 041.JPG

Eventually, we packed up and began descending the SW slopes on a good path. Here we stated to meet people coming up from this side. Some time later, when we walked out of the cloud, we saw the first views to this side, with Loch Morlich taking the center stage:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 052.JPG

It was only 11:30 and I was reluctant to go home so early, so we decided to nip up Creagan Gorm, hoping that maybe this one would stay cloud free for us, as it's much lower than the Corbett:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 057.JPG

From the col between the two hills, we could see the gloomy Cairngorms to the south:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 061.JPG

...and the blue sky to the north:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 064.JPG

...but by the time we reached the top of Creagan Gorm, weather decided it didn't like us after all. The cloud descended again and all we got as a reward for the additional meters climbed was... a path in the mist...
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 069.JPG

...and one very grumpy man with man flu!
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 065.JPG

The clag stay put as we descended back to the col, but eventually we walked out of it, just to "admire" the Cairngorms in their most sulky mood:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 076.JPG

The only highlight was watching the cloud forming weird shapes over the tops of the Cairngorms:
2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 075.JPG

2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 077.JPG

2016-11-12 meall a bhuachaille 079.JPG

Back to Meall a'Bhuachaille, still in clag, I doubt it cleared at all that day:
DSCF7973.JPG

I wish we had better conditions for this walk but one can only take what's given and the nature was reluctant to give us much that day...
A few days have passed and thankfully, Kevin is recovering from his virus and I'm getting used to being an old fart. Right, time to pull up my sleeves and jump on my rowing machine :wink:
For those interested in winter views from Meall a'Bhuachaille, here is my 2012 winter report from this Corbett with Brocken spectre photos :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Birthday with the shepherd

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Belated happy birthday :D

You're right it wasn't the best day to be out ... we tried Geal-charn Mor the same day, with 4 dogs - only to find the first 2K went through a pheasant nursery and just when we thought it would be OK to give the dogs some freedom we met sheep and could see they were spread out right up the hill :( :( Add that to the mist and lack of views - we bailed and came home to find the Black Isle bathed in sunshine (well for a while :wink: ) It's always good to get out though :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Birthday with the shepherd

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Belated happy birthday :D

You're right it wasn't the best day to be out ... we tried Geal-charn Mor the same day, with 4 dogs - only to find the first 2K went through a pheasant nursery and just when we thought it would be OK to give the dogs some freedom we met sheep and could see they were spread out right up the hill :( :( Add that to the mist and lack of views - we bailed and came home to find the Black Isle bathed in sunshine (well for a while :wink: ) It's always good to get out though :D

Thank you :D Nah, it wasn't the best day out unless you were somewhere in Moray... Hopefully next weekend will be better, I'd like to re-visit Wyvis when it's covered in snow :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland