walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rickety bridge to Castle Stalker

Rickety bridge to Castle Stalker

Postby denfinella » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:43 am

Route description: Jubilee Bridge & Castle Stalker, near Port Appin

Date walked: 16/10/2016

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 20m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After getting back to the car from our wander up the Pap of Glencoe, we drove round the corner to Glencoe Visitor Centre just as the first drops of rain began to fall from the forecast band of showers. The visitor centre was surprisingly interesting, with lots of info on the history of Scottish mountaineering and a sobering video about the Glencoe Massacre. But it's a small place and couldn't hold our attention for too long. Rain was still falling outside but the showers were supposed to be moving away northwards through the afternoon. So we headed south to find the dry weather behind the showers. And found it at Castle Stalker!

castlestalker.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The approach to the castle (viewpoint) from the south crosses a spectacular footbridge over salt marshes. The tide was out at the start, but much further in when we returned an hour later. The boardwalk on the north side of the bridge evidently gets covered at the highest tides, judging by the seaweed on it. Castle Stalker from the start:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looking back across the bridge:

3.jpg

Next there's a tarmac cycle track which follows the bed of an old railway line:

4.jpg

Soon a track gives access to the coast, with Castle Stalker coming back into view:

5.jpg

Turn right at the shoreline - there was a small boggy area to negotiate before getting to the shingle beach. Soon we reached the headland which forms the closest mainland point to the castle. It looked an unfriendly place under dark skies. Apparently it's accessible on foot at the lowest tides, but I wouldn't like to try it...

6.jpg

7.jpg

A few glimpses of brightness to the west and south, but another brief shower was approaching, signalling a hasty retreat to the wooded cycle track.

8.jpg

Back at Jubilee Bridge, the rain had passed and the sun came out.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

The tide had come in surprisingly fast since we were last here under an hour ago. The ground under the bridge was previously almost completely dry. Not any more:

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Distant castle view, now across water instead of mud:

15.jpg

Last views of the bridge and castle:

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

On the way back to Glasgow we stopped at the Falls of Lora at Connel, which were in the middle of a "black" flood tide (the rapids are rated on a website for their likely strength based on tidal ranges).

19.jpg

20.jpg
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Rickety bridge to Castle Stalker

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:32 am

Great pictures and a great part of the world. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:13 pm

Interesting to see this bridge - I wasn't aware of it until very recently. I'd planned to go over it a couple of months ago as part of a run, but it was getting dark, so I just ran along the road to Port Appin and back instead. Looks worth a wander next time I'm down that way. Great colours :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby denfinella » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:11 pm

malky_c wrote:Interesting to see this bridge - I wasn't aware of it until very recently. I'd planned to go over it a couple of months ago as part of a run, but it was getting dark, so I just ran along the road to Port Appin and back instead. Looks worth a wander next time I'm down that way. Great colours :D

Thanks Malky. Funny - you're the second person to say that about the bridge! Definitely worth a wander - paths are good and wide so shouldn't be a problem even with fading light.

Sunset tripper wrote:Great pictures and a great part of the world. :D

Thank you, I agree! Definitely need to go back and explore that part of the coast more thoroughly.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland