walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A winters dream up Stac Pollaidh

A winters dream up Stac Pollaidh

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 20/11/2016

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I woke up at the shore of Loch Osgaig and peeking out of my tent half an hour before sunrise, I could see the Assynth mountains against the first pink glow of the morning. How lovely!
My night in the tent during freezing conditions had been pretty warm (I read later that it had been the coldest weekend in November since 6 years) . Saying that, I had been equipped for Siberia with 2 sleeping bags, a pile of fleece blankets, a tick sleeping mattress, a foam mattress and a another ground cover for good measures. :lol: In the end I had only needed half of it to sleep well and warm. :thumbup:

At the shore of Loch Osgaig before sunrise at 8:15am

Views towards Stac Pollaidh and Assynt

Suilven

I got up quickly and packed my gear. Once I sat in the car, I checked my map to find a suitable place to have breakfast…should I drive to Lochinver, Ullapool or ?…looking ahead and seeing Stac Pollaidh in the distance my decision was made…I would have breakfast on top of Stac Pollaidh. :thumbup:

The car park and Stac Pollaidh

The car park was ice ring, but the mountain looked stunning against a backdrop of some late autumn trees. I prepared and packed breakfast, gathered warm layers and added my crampons for good measure (after all the world around me was covered in a deep layer of ice). Prepared for everything I made my way up the mountain. The path up is usually pretty easy, but that morning I was close to put my crampons on, as everything was covered in a a sheet of ice. Once I reached the bottom of the mountain, the path continued towards the left and I entered the snowy wonderland on Stac Pollaidhs north site.
Following the path I soon realized, that the direction of the path I had known had changed. A large area was fenced off and so I followed a lonely set of footprints until I reached the summit.

On the way up

Cul Mor

Sulven is partial hidden behind a wall of clouds

The famous views start on the way up

The path

The new path and fenced off area

The top

The views across Assynt were even more stunning that they are during summer. Looking towards the famous views across the north -east I could see Loch Sionasgaig , Cul Mor, Suilven, Canisp, Quinag and Conival. If I would only be allowed to climb on hill for the rest of my life let it be this one. :D :thumbup: Looking towards the south a few clouds had started to appear, but it added to the beauty around me. I walked towards a few viewing platforms and looked into the abyss – what a stunning mountain it was! Wondering around and taking pictures my stomach suddenly started to grumble and I realized that I still needed breakfast. With views to die for I had a rather late breakfast/lunch and I stayed for nearly 2 hours at the top. With a decision that I had to return I made my way down...

Cul Mor

I love Sutherland

When the self timer is faster ...me on the way to one of the look out rocks

Its a long way down

All what I need to be happy

The way back down

My favorite photo of the day

...Stac Pollaidh you are a beauty!
Stac Polly Panorama.jpg

Taken from: http://www.udeuschle.selfhost.pro/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm
Last edited by Mountainlove on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: A winters dream up Stac Pollaidh

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Lovely photos! Love the failed self timer effort. Actually makes for a really good photo. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jamesb63 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Great report ML and your pics are just stunning :clap: :clap: :clap: ,a perfect day
I was in the Cairngorms at the same time and like you
was over equipped for the night I was melting in my bag :lol: :lol:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Yorjick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I wish that I could have joined you instead of going to work!

I am very impressed by the results you are getting on your camera. The last photo might look good enlarged and framed. I can imagine it being framed and on sale in Nevisport!

:clap:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 pm

What a great report and some breathtaking photographs. I spent that night in my campervan in a layby next to Loch Assynt, not far north of you - fully clothed in a sleeping bag under a duvet :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Cracking day for it :mrgreen: - superb conditions - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kevsbald » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Perhaps the best hill in Scotland? Beinn an Eoin offers equally amazing views. Nice report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:40 pm

@Graeme: Haha thought the same about that photo

@ James: better over equipped than too cold! Hope you had a great time as well

@ Yorjick:Thats what the plan is with the photo. I can only recommend the camera...it does some lovely shots

@ BobMcBob: I used to do the Sleeping bag duvet combo...one of the best in my opinion!

@ Rockhopper: Many thanks

@ Kev: Oh I agree! Specially as it takes hardly any effort :-D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Mancunian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:05 pm

Wow, just wow. Fantastic views you had up there. It must be the cold winter air that makes the views so much better than in summer. What was the temperature up there?
On my computer your last picture doesnt show up but I guess it was a generated panorama from the linked site (udeuschle...) that covers the same area as your panoramic photo?
Let me help you here (click to enlarge):
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 pm

[quote="Mancunian"]Wow, just wow. Fantastic views you had up there. It must be the cold winter air that makes the views so much better than in summer. What was the temperature up there?
On my computer your last picture doesnt show up but I guess it was a generated panorama from the linked site (udeuschle...) that covers the same area as your panoramic photo?

Many thanks and I think you are right, it must be the cold crisp air which made the visibility excellent. Through out the night it was -6 and I don't think it heated up that much during the day, as everything was still frozen solid.
I (hopefully) fixed the last photo...strangely I was not able to see the phone you posted either.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Mancunian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Many thanks and I think you are right, it must be the cold crisp air which made the visibility excellent. Through out the night it was -6 and I don't think it heated up that much during the day, as everything was still frozen solid.
I (hopefully) fixed the last photo...strangely I was not able to see the phone you posted either.

Brrr, thats cold.
Must be permission issues with the photo. I can see my pano on my computer but not on others. Now I can see yours, here is mine (click to enlarge):
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland