walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra by Sharp Edge and Halls Fell

Blencathra by Sharp Edge and Halls Fell

Postby dav2930 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 26/11/2016

Time taken: 5

Distance: 8.35 km

Ascent: 794m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With an unusually heavy dump of snow on the fells for November, and a week of clear blue skies and frosty nights, I was chomping at the bit to get up there but had to wait 'till Saturday. By Friday the forecast was still good, so it was just a matter of deciding where to go. After much delightful pondering of several options I decided on Blencathra by the classic traverse of Sharp Edge and Halls Fell. From what I'd seen of Blencathra through the week it looked as though there was plenty of snow on it (Blencathra doesn't always hold the snow for long) and I was hoping there would still be enough by Saturday to yield a proper winter traverse.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driving along the A66 I could see there was still a good amount of snow, but it was beginning to thin out, as it is wont to do on the south-facing slopes. It didn't look like full-on alpine conditions, but I thought the traverse would still be interesting enough for so early in the winter.

I parked in the new car park at the White Horse Inn, Scales, and headed along the lane and up into Mousthwaite Combe. The combe is quite a sun-trap and with no breeze it soon became very warm. Hitting the colder air at the col was something of a relief! It was also great to see the route ahead leading to Scales Tarn and Sharp Edge.

P1020135.JPG
Sharp Edge from Mousthwaite Col

P1020136.JPG
zoomed

The snow on the level path above the Glenderamackin Beck was well compacted by the passage of many pairs of boots and, as a consequence, was rather icy. I could have done with my Microspikes, which I'd forgotten! :roll: Never mind.

P1020141.JPG
Approaching Scales Tarn, Brunt Knott ahead

At the edge of Scales Tarn was a group of tents, still audibly occupied (some low voices and, yes, snoring! :shock: - it was well past 9.30am). Maybe they didn't get a good night's sleep? Anyway, I wasn't hanging around and headed off up the trail of footprints to the top of Brunt Knott.

P1020144.JPG
Wild camp at Scales Tarn

P1020146.JPG
Sharp Edge above Scales Tarn

P1020149.JPG
Bowscale Fell from top of Brunt Knott

At the start of Sharp Edge I had a decision to make. The rock on the sunny south side was largely clear of snow and ice, while on the shaded north side it was covered in the stuff. To put on crampons or not to put on crampons, that was the question. Was it nobler in the mind to not wear them and try to avoid the ice and snow, or to wear them and try to keep to the ice and snow as much as possible? Not wishing to waste too much time deliberating on this profound dilemma, I plumped for the latter.

P1020152.JPG
Starting Sharp Edge

P1020158.JPG
Sharp Edge

Now winter conditions on Sharp Edge vary greatly. Trickiest (and most dangerous) is deep powder, which just slithers off the rock when you grope about through it in search of holds and ledges - a very time-consuming process. I usually try to avoid it in such conditions. But when the snow is firm and crisp, crampons bite in securely and the edge can seem a breeze. Such was the case today. It was probably easier keeping to the snow in crampons than it would have been trying to avoid it without.

P1020162.JPG
Looking down from the crest

P1020163.JPG
Scales Tarn

P1020164.JPG
Bannerdale Crags

Even the slab directly above the end of the edge, which can form the crux of the route, was conveniently supplied with snow-steps. It almost felt like cheating! (Not that I was complaining :D)

P1020165.JPG
The slabs up Foule Crag

P1020166.JPG
Scales Tarn again

P1020172.JPG
Skiddaw from Atkinson Pike

P1020173.JPG
Great Calva and Knott from Atkinson Pike

On reaching the top of Atkinson Pike (the northern end of the saddle), I could see some cloud to the west and mist was scudding across the saddle on a brisk breeze. I wondered if the weather was about to turn.

P1020175.JPG
Across the saddle to Halls Fell Top

P1020176.JPG
Savouring the view from summit of Blencathra

On the summit the tremendous views to the south were only enhanced by the flying wraiths of mist. What threatening cloud there had been seemed now to have disappeared. It was very pleasant indeed sitting in a sheltered spot just below the summit for coffee and a bite. The sun was quite warm.

P1020177.JPG
View south-west

P1020182.JPG
Looking down Halls Fell

Going down Halls Fell I made the opposite decision from the one I made going up Sharp Edge. I elected to do without crampons as there was too little snow to justify them. Care was needed as the rock was icy in places, but the ridge made for an enjoyable way down.

P1020183.JPG
St. John's in the Vale

P1020187.JPG
zoom to the Scafells etc.

P1020194.JPG
Coming down Halls Fell

P1020199.JPG
Looking up the ridge

P1020202.JPG
East to Eden

When I got back to the White Horse I looked at my watch and was surprised to see it was only 1.45pm. :o It seemed a shame in a way. There was only one thing for it - to sample the wares of the new café in Threlkeld! And very smart it is too, replete with outside balcony and views across to Clough Head... :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Blencathra by Sharp Edge and Halls Fell

Postby Guinessman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Excellent report Dav and great pictures. It looks as though the weather held from the previous day. After seeing some pictures of Scotland yesterday it looks, for the moment that the Lakes is holding more snow. Strange!
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby dav2930 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Guinessman wrote:Excellent report Dav and great pictures. It looks as though the weather held from the previous day. After seeing some pictures of Scotland yesterday it looks, for the moment that the Lakes is holding more snow. Strange!

Thanks GM. :D Yes I was very pleased that the weather held, though for a little while it looked as though it wouldn't.
It's not often that the Lakes has more snow than Scotland!
dav2930
Ambler

Postby trailmasher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:42 pm

Great report and photos GM :clap: with great weather conditions to boot :) Blencathra is just about my favourite mountain with so many different ways to go with good views thrown in :) Well done on a great little walk on a great mountain :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:35 am

Some excellent images of a classic route.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dav2930 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

trailmasher wrote:Great report and photos GM :clap: with great weather conditions to boot :) Blencathra is just about my favourite mountain with so many different ways to go with good views thrown in :) Well done on a great little walk on a great mountain :clap:

Erm...not sure if I should be responding to your comments here TM, or if I should leave it to GM! :lol:
Thanks anyway though - and Blencathra is indeed a very fine mountain. I believe Wainwright devoted more pages to it than any other Lakeland fell. :thumbup:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some excellent images of a classic route.

Thank you JK. Coming from a photographer of your calibre, that's made me quite chuffed :D
Mind you, anyone with a camera was bound to get some decent images on such a day as that! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:21 am

I've been thinking about Blencathra as a possibility for quite a while, but this report does it. Really crisp report: and aside from the entertaining narrative, there are some very seductive pics of the ridge and environs (certainly it looks like a consummation devoutly to be wished :D ).

Scale Tarn looks like a wonderful camping spot (reminds me, probably wrongly, of Angle Tarn) - maybe one for a Friday night, followed by Saturday walking...

And - big bonus - 3, rather than 8 hours plus drive...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Erm...not sure if I should be responding to your comments here TM, or if I should leave it to GM! :lol:

Hey, sorry about that dav :? :? can't think how I got you mixed up with GM :roll: :crazy: Hope that you get over it PDQ :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I've been thinking about Blencathra as a possibility for quite a while, but this report does it. Really crisp report: and aside from the entertaining narrative, there are some very seductive pics of the ridge and environs (certainly it looks like a consummation devoutly to be wished :D ).

Scale Tarn looks like a wonderful camping spot (reminds me, probably wrongly, of Angle Tarn) - maybe one for a Friday night, followed by Saturday walking...

And - big bonus - 3, rather than 8 hours plus drive...

Many thanks AK - I saw what you did there sneaking in the Hamlet quote :wink: :lol: It's certainly a great route for a short day, especially in winter.

I can see why Scales Tarn reminds you of Angle Tarn; similar shape, size and setting (different geology though), and yes it does look a great spot to camp (Angle Tarn even better). Hope you can get up this way soon AK - certainly a lot more accessible for you than the Highlands. :D

trailmasher wrote:

Hey, sorry about that dav :? :? can't think how I got you mixed up with GM :roll: :crazy: Hope that you get over it PDQ :lol: :lol:

Well, it might take a while TM, I was rather traumatized! (only kidding :lol: :lol: )
dav2930
Ambler

Postby ChrisW » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:46 pm

Wonderful wander in great conditions Dav, sharp edge is one I never tire of seeing no matter how often it's posted. It looks wonderful in the snow too :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 pm

ChrisW wrote:Wonderful wander in great conditions Dav, sharp edge is one I never tire of seeing no matter how often it's posted. It looks wonderful in the snow too :clap:

Thanks Chris. Sharp Edge is definitely at its best in the snow - just could have done with a bit more of it! Early days yet though. :D
dav2930
Ambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland