walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Northern Fells almost finished.

The Northern Fells almost finished.

Postby martin.h » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey, Ling Fell, Sale Fell

Date walked: 19/11/2016

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 626m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A rather damp day to start with but I suppose you could call it a typical November day, showers, overcast and a bit blowy.

Our hills were the smaller ones around the Northern Lakes, ideal for me because I've not been out for a while and my knees feel like they've been welded at the joints :lol:

We parked at Brumston Bridge just a small distance from Wythop Mill. Sale Fell and Ling Fell were our targets to start with, hopefully they'd be kind on the knees :roll:
It was raining/snowing when we parked up so we waited for it to pass, it looked like it would soon as there was a break in the clouds and it looked like it was heading our way :D
We only had to wait ten minutes or so and when the pitterpat stopped we were out of the car sharpish, on with the boots and waterproofs and walking within 5 minutes, a record :lol:

Ready for the off.

Ling Fell was our first objective so headed up the lane from the bridge heading towards Burthwaite and the start of the Old Corpse Road around NY183291.
There's a gate by the road at the start of this old track, the option from here is to follow the corpse road or take the direct route, we opted for the latter to test the knees and found it to be ok, its quite steep but not sustained, we soon reached an easier gradient and from there the summit soon came into view. By now we'd reached the snow, just a sprinkling but it was our first "snowy" walk of the winter.

Snow! Sale Fell behind.

Binsey.

On the summit we were below the cloud base so could see Sale Fell, however, the higher fells around had varying amounts of clouds on them, further south and west people were getting no views at all.

On the summit

Greystones and Kirkfell right, Broom Fell left, Window Hause in the middle with the trees, Hopegill head and Grisedale Pike in the distance.

Looking over to the Uldale Fells

West

From the summit we took the direct descent heading for the gate we went through earlier, this was surprisingly steep for most of the way made more interesting by the snow :D

We walked down the lane back to the bridge then headed for Sale Fell. Over the bridge turning right along the lane towards Kelswick farm, through a gate and turning up a feint path about 100m further on, this in turn joins a much better defined path, go left here and it takes you to the summit with not much effort at all.

Sale Fell is another good view point, we could see the sun shining in the dale below highlighting the autumn colours. Skiddaw was beginning to shed its cloud, there looked to be a fair covering of snow.

Sale Fell views.

Near the summit

From the summit we had views.

Ullock Pike and Carl Side, snow and cloud.

Ling Fell.

Towards Lothwaite

Rather cold on the summit, Skiddaw behind Denise

Scotland away in the distance.

We were tempted to go onto Rivings and Lothwaite but decided to leave that for a summer afternoons walk, our next objective was Binsey so we had to get on.

We set off from the summit the way we'd come, reaching the wall we went down beside it and arrived at the gate.
From here it was a short walk to the car, boots off a nibble and then off to find somewhere to park to do Binsey.

I had read somewhere that parking around NY235351 was a bit restricted, well, looking at the space available, I reckon there's room for 7 or 8 carefully parked cars around the start of the walk so it could be an issue in the summer months, today however, no problem.

We sat in the car and had lunch then it was on with the boots, we left the sacs in the car so armed with a couple of poles each and a camera we set off on the very well defined path to the summit.

On the way up, looking towards Skiddaw

Its a steady 20 -30 minute walk to the top of Binsey, it was a bit hazy so we weren't blessed with fantastic views but up here you get the feeling of being on the very fringe of the Lake district, I bet on a good day the view is fantastic.

Summit shelter,

Views from the top:-

Scotland again

Uldale Fells again

Arty shot :lol:

At the trig point.

From the summit it was back to the car the way we'd come.

On the way down Skiddaw was clearing.

And so were the Uldale Fells

As it turned out this was a short day, it leaves Bakestall to finalise the Northern fells, I might leave this for my last Wainwright and combine it with Skiddaw, one of my first, which I climbed many years ago on a school trip, I'm not the quickest Wainwright bagger by any means but I'm getting there :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: The Northern Fells almost finished.

Postby trailmasher » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Great report and pics MH :clap: and three nice little hills to see off on a snowy day especially if the knees are a bit suspect :wink: A good choice to combine Bakestall with Skiddaw as it's a long walk and steep climb for just one hill :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 am

Great way to tick off three of the few remaining Martin, though I am always impressed by folks that go down a hill, get in the car and journey a bit then get out and do another .....I often have the idea but once I'm in the truck with a comfy seat and air conditioning it never seems to happen :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby martin.h » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:25 pm

trailmasher wrote:Great report and pics MH :clap: and three nice little hills to see off on a snowy day especially if the knees are a bit suspect :wink: A good choice to combine Bakestall with Skiddaw as it's a long walk and steep climb for just one hill :roll:

Thanks trailmasher, I like the smaller hills at this time of the year, they're almost certain to be cloud free, the walks are short and if the weather changes you're not far from the car :lol:

ChrisW wrote:Great way to tick off three of the few remaining Martin, though I am always impressed by folks that go down a hill, get in the car and journey a bit then get out and do another .....I often have the idea but once I'm in the truck with a comfy seat and air conditioning it never seems to happen :lol: :lol:

Hi Chris, we had planned to do Bakestall as well but after Binsey the car won the day so we cut it short and looked for somewhere to have a pint :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland