walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Beag (Glen Nevis)

Aonach Beag (Glen Nevis)

Postby bigbertie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range)

Date walked: 30/03/2008

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set out from Glen Nevis to climb this last week by the classic NE ridge. There was lots of snow to a very low level. Unfortunately started too late and when we reached the col E of Sgurr a Bhuic we decided to abort and climb via Sgurr a Bhuic instead. My 1985 Munro guide mentions the E ridge of Sgurr a Bhuic but there isn't one (I think it means W ridge) so we climbed the S face - we had to rope up for the last 200 ft of steep hard snow. The top of Aonach Beag was almost in white out and we could find no trace of cairn or trig point in the snow so had to take GPS readings to check we were really there. Descended via Coire an Laogh which was full of snow-dunes and iced up gorges - not a recommended route. Unfortunately no photos as I left my camera in the car. Perhaps NE ridge next year.
bigbertie

Re: Aonach Beag (Glen Nevis)

Postby canisp » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:58 pm

Sounds like you had an adventurous day out. There is no trig point on the summit of Aonach Beag, and the small cairn is easily buried under the snow and missed, i hope you get better weather on a return visit.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Aonach Beag (Glen Nevis)

Postby bigbertie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:15 pm

thanks, I knew there was a cairn because I had seen a picture, wasn't sure about the trig point. it was a pity about the views from the top, but lower down there were great views of the Mamores with snow almost down to the valley. my mate took some photos and is going to try stitching them together for a panoramic view.

I'll try the combined circuit with Aonach Mor next time - maybe in the summer.
bigbertie

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland