walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Postby mamoset » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 21/10/2016

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 740m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There isn't a great deal to say about the walk up Mount Keen. Pleasant enough route up Glen Mark, passed the Queen's Well and up the Ladder Burn. This walk killed two birds with one stone for me, as I took the wife along because she has always wanted to try some real Arbroath Smokies :shock: and so we called in to a smokery in Arbroath before doing this Munro. Weather wasn't the best, though it didn't rain which was a plus, so here are a few pics.
IMG_9514.JPG
Autumnal colours.
IMG_9519.JPG
The route ahead.
IMG_9520.JPG
The Queens Well.
IMG_9528.JPG
Looking back from the Ladder Burn path.
IMG_9529.JPG
Knowe of Crippley.
IMG_9532.JPG
The path to a cloud shrouded summit.
IMG_9534.JPG
Mount Keen summit trig point.
IMG_9536.JPG
Views improve on the descent.
IMG_9540.JPG
Mount Keen clears!!!!!
IMG_9553.JPG
Looking back to our route.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Mount Keen

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Definitely a more sensible way to approach than walking over from Glen Muick ( :shock: :shh: :silent: ). Nice walk even if the weather's not the best - does look a good one for a bike - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dav2930 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Nice one mamoset, looked a good walk with great autumn colours. I'm not familiar with the Glen Mark approach as I went from the north up Glen Tanar (with bike). It was a shame you missed out on the summit views - they're very extensive. But then we can't expect to get summit views every time I suppose!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 pm

rockhopper wrote:Definitely a more sensible way to approach than walking over from Glen Muick ( :shock: :shh: :silent: ). Nice walk even if the weather's not the best - does look a good one for a bike - cheers :)

hi rh, there was an "older" couple at the lodge on bikes, think the wife was a bit jealous on the way back :lol:

dav2930 wrote:Nice one mamoset, looked a good walk with great autumn colours. I'm not familiar with the Glen Mark approach as I went from the north up Glen Tanar (with bike). It was a shame you missed out on the summit views - they're very extensive. But then we can't expect to get summit views every time I suppose!

hey dav, both the above mentioned routes were discounted as i didn't think the wife would appreciate it :shock: shame about the views, can't have it all :crazy:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland