walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The cairnwell trio

The cairnwell trio

Postby Coop » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 19/12/2016

Time taken: 3.33 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Long drive up here not much daylight and a long drive back. Saying all that, with hindsight I should have parked further down from the ski centre and started with An Socath and then done the other 3. Didn't realise how quickly these 3 could be done. Hindsight eh!

Anyway

Car parked at the ski centre then up to Carn Aoada, down and round the lochan and up and over the plateau to the shelter and cairn at carn a'gheoidh then back along and down a wee bit then up to the ridge , picked up the track again leading up to the summit of the cairnwell. Huts and masts and a cairn built round and on top of a Hut!
Well what an I say to brighten these 3 up.
I suppose as you're heading past the 1st lochan en route to Carn a'gheoidh you do get a wilderness feel about the place- away from the ski lifts and fences. I was glad of the shelter as I sat in it out of the wind and cold to have a roll and some coffee.
Mountain hares everywhere with their winter coat on. Ptarmigan aplenty. Grouse aplenty- a few actually stood and posed for a photo.
Cap doffed to The cairnwell trio.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland