walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby teaandpies » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 30/10/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1221m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Walkhighlands blurb for this walk describes this walk as a straightforward mountain day which I have always interpreted as a boring walk but I rather enjoyed this one.

Having been out 7 days earlier (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67780) doing the more famous hills in the range I was pretty keen on getting these done. Almost a carbon copy of last weeks routine, up early (there was an extra hour in bed so it wasn't so bad), pick up Pieplough and do the exact same journey as last week pretty much. :roll:

We arrived at the 'parking area' and it's a case of take what you can get. We started our walk with 2 other 2 person walking parties, 1 away out in front and the other starting after us.

All parked up

Sleepers in the limited space :thumbdown:

The walk is along a well made road, it's fairly steep and seems to carry on forever. The lungs were working overtime already :lol:

MWIS said it was going to be cloudy...

Coire Glas & Coire Chreachainn

Looking back

Beinn a'Chochuill appears

We stopped at a marker cairn (the second one we'd seen on the road) to have a rest before starting the first proper challenge of the day, the steep pull up onto the ridge. It's not that bad and there's a path to follow for most of it. I was happier doing this steeper section that I was that long road up hill that's for sure.

The way up :shock:

Looking back on a breather

Just keep going

Hello views

A look at last weeks walk

Still plenty of up

I was pretty pleased to arrive on the ridge. I knew it would be a 'straightforward' walk to the summit but as we arrived something special was developing around us. A cloud inversion, amazing.

Left for Beinn a'Chochuill, right for Beinn Eunaich

Looking to Beinn Eunaich

Looking to Beinn Eunaich again

Looking over to Ben Starav and beyond

Beinn a'Chochuill's summit

Even when we arrived at the summit my attention was firmly on the surrounding spectacle as it continued to develop.

DANG!

Hi Pigplough

We caught up with the first walking party at the summit and had a good chin wag about the hill, hill walkers and the cloud inversion...the other 2 walkers arrived at the summit and they were far less sociable.

A busy wee summit

We had a little munch and set off a few minutes after the 2 older gents (brothers), boy could these guys walk. They seemed to be flying across the ridge and up the next hill.

Beinn Eunaich

We passed through some heavy cloud between the hills and popped out the other side to the below view. The cloud was getting thicker.

Looking back to Beinn a'Chochuill

We reached the summit in no time at all and had an even longer conversation with the 2 guys. This time about highlight hills, landowners, driving, friends and the pub. I could have listened to these guys all day, lots of funny interesting stories.

The view North East

Beinn Eunaich's summit

The other walkers arrived.

Déjà vu??

It was time to head off the summit, a bit behind the 2 older guys again and the going was easy enough steady down hill on decent ground.

The way off

The clouds were pouring over the ridge between the Munros. It was a cracking sight that the pictures don't do any justice.

Looking back to Beinn a'Chochuill again

Awesome

Beinn a'Chochuill

Loch Awe & Kilchurn Castle

The walk off had been an easy jaunt thus far just following the path but there was a last steep sting in the tail.

The steep last decent

We passed a cairn on the road on the way up and the path pops out here.

Marker cairn, I was pleased to see you again :lol:

The walk was done and it was still pretty early.

WHO AM I?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby Coop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:29 pm

There's some fantastic views from beinn a chochuill
Steep descent from eunaich down to that cairn eh.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby teaandpies » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:12 am

Coop wrote:There's some fantastic views from beinn a chochuill
Steep descent from eunaich down to that cairn eh.

Not half. Really enjoyed this day out. I felt like doing another holl or 2 afterwards :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:56 am

Good photos....................... I like the Drovers too. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Borderhugh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:16 am

Nice to see the pics of these 2 without snow. We did these in snow/cloud/clag which provides a completely different experience. :o
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland