walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Tee toppled and topped at long last !

Ben Tee toppled and topped at long last !

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Route description: Ben Tee, Kilfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tee

Date walked: 02/12/2016

Time taken: 3.6 hours

Distance: 9.02 km

Ascent: 882m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the last three years at the AMC Christmas meet we have been trying to climb Ben Tee but because of horrific weather conditions this has not been possible, in fact last year it was so bad the only thing done was a quick run along to the end of Mandally road and an immediate return to the excellent Saddle Mountain Hostel where we were staying, for a hot shower and a visit to the drying room.
Two years ago three of us set off from the bunkhouse down Mandally road to tackle Ben Tee from the North East but only got as far as the Hump Meall nan Ruadhag which you will see from some of the summit photographs before returning completely soaked, the way we had come.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The excellent Saddle Mountain Hostel in Invergarry just down the Mandally road where we were to be based for the weekend and well looked after by Gregor and Helen.
2.JPG
Cars parked at the parking area just before you come to Kilfinnan farm. Having already read Mountain Thymes report on this hill I was making sure not to climb too close to the Kilfinnan Burn but unfortunately still not climb far enough up the grassy mound at the start
3.JPG
Looking back from the grassy slopes on the East side of the Kilfinnan Burn towards Kilfinnan Farm
4.JPG
This section is fine underfoot but later on having cut off well before the high point, it does become a bit messy, the path is at an acute angle for walking with many slips had on the wet heathery roots
5.JPG
Getting heathery further up and we were to find a sheep path heading off on our left which we took. Suggest you keep heading further up the brow until you find another path which is the right path and the one we came down
6.JPG
We found a narrow path but would advise continuing further up as this was hard and slippy work with the wet exposed heather roots
7.JPG
The sun coming out making it a rather fine hill day for the beginning of December, there was no wind what so ever at this stage and the underfoot conditions were making it hard going
8.JPG
Looking back at the fence line we walked up until an opening and the cloud inversion over Loch Lochy
9.JPG
Flatter and not as wet underfoot conditions as we were expecting with Ben Tee in the distance. Even before reaching the long East shoulder there is evidence of a path. At this point we were both sweating profusely with the effort required climbing through the heather and with the mild temperature, and yes, this being December in Scotland, amazing
10.JPG
Signs of a path at this point but not always continuous
11.JPG
Looking over towards Loch Lochy with the cloud just hanging about as it would all day
12.JPG
Much shorter grass and heather which made for very pleasant walking conditions
13a.JPG
I thought this looked quite nice, looking North East towards Invergarry
14.JPG
Meall nan Ruadhag a Hump of 445 m surrounded at the base with forestry. This was as far as we got two years ago due to rain and a wild wind. Lochan na Beinne Brice on the extreme left of picture
15.JPG
Coming up to the summit
16.JPG
Ben Tee summit cairn with Loch Lochy Munro Sron a' Choire Ghairbh 935 m behind
17.JPG
Two very happy climbers having made this the main target hill of the Christmas weekend Meet. We were at the summit in 2 hours 20 mins where we stayed for forty minutes soaking in the views and having a well deserved snack and drink
18.JPG
Looking North West from summit
19.JPG
Looking down the East shoulder the way we had come and the way we would return
20.JPG
The cloud just sitting over the Loch and the Kilfinnan Burn
21.JPG
Admiring the view from the summit cairn
22.JPG
Zoom in of Meall nan Ruadhag
23.JPG
Heading off the way we had come
24.JPG
Heading towards the fence line but higher up this time. Beyond the fence there is a path in the deep heather taking you down back to the starting point and car park
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Ben Tee toppled and topped at long last !

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:03 pm

What I remember from our visit to Ben Tee was a wonky stile over the fence and knee deep snow on the final 100m of ascent :lol: Another one to re-visit to see the views properly, glad you guys had great conditions for a cup of tea on Ben Tee :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 pm

BlackPanther wrote:What I remember from our visit to Ben Tee was a wonky stile over the fence and knee deep snow on the final 100m of ascent :lol: Another one to re-visit to see the views properly, glad you guys had great conditions for a cup of tea on Ben Tee :D

Hi BP, a fine hill indeed with wonderful views, it's not often we get the opportunity to sit about so long on a summit especially in December :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am

Nice one Rod. Great pictures. The Kilfinnan falls are well worth a visit on their own.
I climbed Ben Tee from the north once which makes it feel pretty remote. Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one Rod. Great pictures. The Kilfinnan falls are well worth a visit on their own.
I climbed Ben Tee from the north once which makes it feel pretty remote. Cheers :D

Hi Sunset tripper, I might take you up on visiting the falls. Good effort from getting to Ben Tee from the North it must have been a long day trying to get through all that forestry :clap: It certainly was was going to be beyond us to reach the summit from the Bunkhouse on Mandally road a very long way especially in December.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Yorjick » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Done to a tee! :clap:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Yorjick wrote:Done to a tee! :clap:

Steve, it was just a perfect day, after so many failings on the past meets it was just so good to get this one in :D :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:50 pm

That looked fun Rod.

I'm still kicking myself for not adding this hill on to the two Loch Lochy Munros on what was a similar day weather wise. When I get round to this I'll probably start back at the car park by the loch side as I always enjoy having a wander by the canal.

2hrs 20 mins to the summit is noted :wink:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Gordie12 wrote:That looked fun Rod.

I'm still kicking myself for not adding this hill on to the two Loch Lochy Munros on what was a similar day weather wise. When I get round to this I'll probably start back at the car park by the loch side as I always enjoy having a wander by the canal.

2hrs 20 mins to the summit is noted :wink:

Hi Gordie, yep 2hours 20mins but really struggled the first bit through the Heather. Hope you get a day like we had and I don't mean the weather we had when I climbed the two Loch Loch. Munros, it was terrible.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:19 pm

What brilliant views, and all captured on Camera!
Thank you for that RodMiester :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland