walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious Glen Etive

Glorious Glen Etive

by rockhopper » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Trilleachan, Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Trilleachan

Date walked: 20/11/2016

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1020m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Glorious Glen Etive

Postby katyhills » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Superb report. What a tremendous day you had for it. Thanks for those great photos :)
I managed to miss all the great weather and snow during November, so it's lovely to see these reports and enjoy other people's outings by proxy.
This one was on my list for this year but it'll probably be next year now. Very odd to be so near Christmas and have so little snow on the hills.

I managed to startle some deer in Etive when I was there earlier this year. I don't know who got the bigger fright. I'd try the chocolate digestives, but I don't think they'd make it as far the foot of a hill, never mind having some for deer..... :oops:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby simon-b » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:15 am

Magnificent stuff. It's making me want to go back to Glen Etive :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ancancha » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Stunningly beautiful scenery and always great to get some wildlife shots, though looks like they weren't too wild :shock:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Fabulous report and pics: Trilleachan is my last unclimbed Western Corbett S of Fort William, but I'm afraid I'll have to leave it til the spring. I remember a while ago that there were a lot of "farmed" deer near the foot of Glen Etive - grazing quietly in fields. Maybe that's why the current ones are so tame
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Fantastic pictures from this great viewpoint - as good as any I think in this magic area. Trilleachan is a tough hill - the vegetation on the lower slopes is very thick - and I failed on it in yesterday's heat. Simply ran out of water at the sub-summit and decided it wasn't wise to push on. Normally there are still big snow patches in late May , but this year nothing anywhere :( Returned totally dehydrated - will have to have another go when it's cooler. Only compensation brilliant view of an Eagle flying down the loch, up above Ben Starav and then over my head. It's only when you're above them that you really appreciate the fantastic golden colour of their backs :D
It flew almost over my head and I just pointed and banged away :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 27, 2017 12:26 am

past my sell by date wrote:Only compensation brilliant view of an Eagle flying down the loch, up above Ben Starav and then over my head. It's only when you're above them that you really appreciate the fantastic golden colour of their backs :D
Must have been a great sight - I've only managed to capture pictures once and I was well below it.
Regarding deydration, think I'll be holding off until it cools down a bit as well, just too hot and humid - hope you're fully recovered - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland