walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Dumb noob question,Camping stove

Dumb noob question,Camping stove

Postby DAM1987 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi there ive just started the whole solo camping thing. and will be buying an Msr pocket rocket never actualy using one before.

i have a of question

Once i screw the Gas canister on, then use it cook my food etc and then have to pack it away. do i just unscrew the gas canister?? is there a special way to stop the gas then escaping or is it a case of using all the gas before i remove it or do i buy some special self sealing canister ?

i know this is a real noobish question

Thanks
DAM1987
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Dumb noob question,Camping stove

Postby crfishwick » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:55 pm

DAM1987 wrote:Hi there ive just started the whole solo camping thing. and will be buying an Msr pocket rocket never actualy using one before.

i have a of question

Once i screw the Gas canister on, then use it cook my food etc and then have to pack it away. do i just unscrew the gas canister?? is there a special way to stop the gas then escaping or is it a case of using all the gas before i remove it or do i buy some special self sealing canister ?

i know this is a real noobish question

Thanks

The gas canister is self sealing. So just remove the pocket rocket when it has cooled. And to be absolutely sure do not have any naked flames in the vicinity and point away from your face.
crfishwick

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:30 pm

crfishwick wrote:The gas canister is self sealing. So just remove the pocket rocket when it has cooled. And to be absolutely sure do not have any naked flames in the vicinity and point away from your face.

Those self-sealing canisters give off a tiny fart of gas as the top part is removed and the pressure seals the exit. I used one for years but one time in a bothy in the Cairngorms a young chap took fright at the smell of gas and panicked. He ran about screaming and demanded that he was "not going to let me" use the gas stove inside. (and his corpse was never found, mwahahahahaaa!). These days I prefer a wee meths stove; cheaper, easier, no empty canister to lug around, gentler on the cooking pot, etc. I expect immature brats who shouldn't have left their mummies' side would still panic at the sight of a flame though...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Another vote for a tranja and meths (which you can usually buy in more places as long as there are still ironmongers and chemists). You have to remember to screw the top back on as it can take a really long time for the smell to leave your sleeping bag. It probably helps buying the meths from chemists if you look like a granny as I do (and am).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby crfishwick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Sgurr wrote:Another vote for a tranja and meths (which you can usually buy in more places as long as there are still ironmongers and chemists). You have to remember to screw the top back on as it can take a really long time for the smell to leave your sleeping bag. It probably helps buying the meths from chemists if you look like a granny as I do (and am).

The original question was about a pocket rocket :? I agree Meths is alright but slow. Horses for courses though. So gas can be appropriate at times.

regards
Chris
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:01 am

Meths is handy if you're needing to buy in some random wee town, but if you're buying in advance consider getting bioethanol, far less toxic and don't stink much. I use the EkoFuel brand and recommend it.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:07 am

crfishwick wrote:The original question was about a pocket rocket

Banter.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby crfishwick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:19 am

Marty_JG wrote:Meths is handy if you're needing to buy in some random wee town, but if you're buying in advance consider getting bioethanol, far less toxic and don't stink much. I use the EkoFuel brand and recommend it.

Agreed. Bioethanol is far better than Meths. A lot less smell and does not produce the black sooty deposits on the cookware etc. Although it is even less efficient as meths and cooking/boiling times slightlyincrease unfortunately.
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:52 pm

crfishwick wrote:Agreed. Bioethanol is far better than Meths. A lot less smell and does not produce the black sooty deposits on the cookware etc. Although it is even less efficient as meths and cooking/boiling times slightly increase unfortunately.

Most of the alcohol stove fuel tests are American and so tend to include Heet but exclude Meths. The only Meths vs Bio Ethanol test I could find had the Bio Ethanol burn hotter and thus boiled a bit quicker.

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby crfishwick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:08 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
crfishwick wrote:Agreed. Bioethanol is far better than Meths. A lot less smell and does not produce the black sooty deposits on the cookware etc. Although it is even less efficient as meths and cooking/boiling times slightly increase unfortunately.

Most of the alcohol stove fuel tests are American and so tend to include Heet but exclude Meths. The only Meths vs Bio Ethanol test I could find had the Bio Ethanol burn hotter and thus boiled a bit quicker.

Well, maybe so but I have just tested them both over xmas! (Sad I know :crazy: ). I stick to my conclusions I got :lol:

Doing the tests as I am contemplating the CWT in February/March 2017 (Mad! I know). Trying to get my gear under 30lbs and there is no chance. These lightwieght fanatics especially Americans live in a dream World :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:36 pm

crfishwick wrote:Doing the tests as I am contemplating the CWT in February/March 2017 (Mad! I know). Trying to get my gear under 30lbs and there is no chance. These lightwieght fanatics especially Americans live in a dream World :lol:

In fairness 13.5 KG for 2 to 3 weeks is quite lean, especially if you're taking all your food from the outset.

Spec your kit up in lighterpack.com, give us the results to study in a dedicated thread, and perhaps the Collective Wisdom could help?
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk