walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

GPX tracks

GPX tracks

Postby petersp » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 pm

:( :(

Hello,
I tried to download the GPX tracks of the cape wrath trail, but they still don't working.
Is it possible to solving this problem ?
With best regards
P.Peters
petersp

Re: GPX tracks

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi, to download the files you can just right click on them and save your machine.

But I'm guessing your problem is that Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp is crashing when opening one or more of the files, which happens on about 5% of our gpx files. See this old thread.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby alangeorge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:01 am

I did the Cape Wrath Trail last April/May, and I'm planning to do it again at the same time in 2017. I downloaded the gpx files for the Trail from this website, but the waypoints for two of the sections (A'Chuil- Barrisdale Bay and Barrisdale Bay-Morvich) are incomplete, or so it seems. When superimposed on the OS maps on my Garmin GPS machine, the tracks for these two section terminate in the middle of nowhere.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution????

I'd appreciate advice as it's been driving me nuts!! :) :crazy: :)
alangeorge

Postby crfishwick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:05 pm

alangeorge wrote:I did the Cape Wrath Trail last April/May, and I'm planning to do it again at the same time in 2017. I downloaded the gpx files for the Trail from this website, but the waypoints for two of the sections (A'Chuil- Barrisdale Bay and Barrisdale Bay-Morvich) are incomplete, or so it seems. When superimposed on the OS maps on my Garmin GPS machine, the tracks for these two section terminate in the middle of nowhere.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution????

I'd appreciate advice as it's been driving me nuts!! :) :crazy: :)

Just tried both downloads. Nothing wrong with them although rather bloated! I personnelly change them from routes to tracks getting rid of a lot of marks. It must be something at your end. More information is needed really. Have you any other software to open them besides Garmin and how are you loading them onto a Garmin GPS? I suggest just copying them into the GPX folder on the garmin and not transfering them through third party software nor Garmin Basecamp. HTH.

regards'
Chris

Chris
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:16 pm

You didn't mention exactly which GPX doesn't download or work. The more detail the more help.

I just tested Fort William to Gairlochy, the old GPX thread that was linked that Garmin had problems with.

For me at least it works in the current version of BaseCamp, v4.6.2 with driver gmnusb.sys 2.3.1.0, though perhaps Walkhighland have updated their GPX? Go into Help -> About Garmin BaseCamp for your version numbers.

The original GPX is 148 Via Points. I converted it to a Track (which keeps the 148 Points) then converted that Track to a new Route with the "choose number of points automatically" ticked. It trims down to 79 Via Points.

For general reference, a Route is what you plan at home on BaseCamp and follow on your GPS unit, and a Track is what you log when out walking with your unit. But you can use either to navigate by so they are somewhat interchangeable. The actual real-life difference is Routes can hold more information, e.g. the ability to set Arrival Alerts, estimate journey time by profile, create a printable list of turn-by-turn route directions, calculate elevation graphs; whereas Routes are only a series of Via Points.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:43 pm

alangeorge wrote:I did the Cape Wrath Trail last April/May, and I'm planning to do it again at the same time in 2017. I downloaded the gpx files for the Trail from this website, but the waypoints for two of the sections (A'Chuil- Barrisdale Bay and Barrisdale Bay-Morvich) are incomplete, or so it seems. When superimposed on the OS maps on my Garmin GPS machine, the tracks for these two section terminate in the middle of nowhere. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution???? I'd appreciate advice as it's been driving me nuts!! :) :crazy: :)

I've just downloaded and recalculated them doing the Route -> Track -> Route method as I just outlined.

A'Chuil to Barrisdale Bay has reduced from 341 Via Points to 225
Barrisdale Bay to Morvich has reduced from 371 Via Points to 262

I upload them here, see if they make a difference to you.

A'Chuil to Barrisdale Bay Reduced.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Barrisdale Bay to Morvich Reduced.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback