walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Arkaig Adventure - Day Two

Loch Arkaig Adventure - Day Two

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:48 am

Route description: Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh, Loch Arkaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh

Date walked: 20/12/2016

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the two hills on day one - I had a great second day exploring the mountains here...

Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh

Nearly 12 hours kip- unheard of in all my days sleeping in a tent, but head was down at 19.00hrs and I didn’t rise until 07.30 the next morning! Could have been the comfy pillow I brought and dry set of clothes – an advantage of road side camping as opposed to wild camping maybe? Anyway, even though I had a long lye, it was still very dark when I emerged from the tent. I soon set about taking it down and headed to the car to get a brew on and get ready for the day ahead.

SHORT AERIAL FILM - (full film at bottom of report)....

The weather was worse than yesterday with rain falling and the clag right down, so I decided to get the waterproofs on from the start. A short drive up to the new ? car park at the end of the road and I was soon on my way, tucking in right and heading down the beautiful and remote feeling Glen Dessary. The mood was atmospheric with low cloud and mists hugging the hillside and deer appearing here there and everywhere? Not sure they would have been so brave a few months ago!;)

My marker for the hill was the amazing Dessary Lodge. Now this really was a 007 style house and reminded me of the one that was blown to pieces in the recent film.

ImageUpper Glen Dessary by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Onwards I headed up trackless terrain – the rain still falling but the grey atmosphere did stir the Scottishness inside! Again, as on the previous day, I was soon inside the cloud but today the wind was stronger and rain heavier, but the Goretex was doing a grand job.

ImageDessary Shower by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A few ups , and then a few false summits, but I finally reached the top, confirmed with a quick ViewRanger check. It wasn’t weather for hanging around so turned on mu heals after taking a bearing- ten came back down he way I came, sticking to the western side of the ridge to take in the sketchy views in to upper Glen Dessary….

Then , about 40 minutes after leaving the top, the rain stopped, cloud lifted and sun came out! The views were amazing, my only regret was that I hadn’t been an hour or so behind schedule! With a extra bit of energy the blue skies brought I was soon tracking back down Glen Dessary , and then finally back at the car ready for the long drive home. A fine way to spend two days 

ImageGlen Pean Light Sgurr Thuilm by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageHighland River by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagelight breaking through by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Full Vlog:

wilkiemurray

Re: Loch Arkaig Adventure - Day Two

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Some fine images there, as usual, WM.

I smiled at your long sleep - I also always take my own (down) pillow when I'm camping near the road, and find that it definitely makes a difference.. But the longest sleep I ever had was when bivvying on Sgurr nan Eag, when I overslept the most brilliant dawn... :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Loch Arkaig Adventure - Day Two

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Enjoyed the video - nice seeing the loch and surrounds from different angles than usual :thumbup: Some interesting light in the photos too - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland