walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How did you get on in 2016?

How did you get on in 2016?

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Making this a thread of its own to save confusion later :)

32 Wainwrights lined up for this year, if I've counted right - the 18 remaining southern ones, including Scafell Pike, and 14 western ones - which will take me to 2/3 done, give or take half a hill!

Otherwise I'll try for 10 Munros again, and those last two Pentland Marilyns, and another weekend in the Moffat hills. I'd like to get along the coast from Seaham to Redcar or Saltburn, because I've got my eye on the Cleveland Way for 2017, but getting through Middlesbrough is going to be no fun! The Berwickshire Coast Path would be nice, but I've been saying that for years, a trip to the Cheviots or Howgills or Yorkshire Dales would be nice, Arran would be nice, but I'll have to see what fits in.

A bit mixed.

The Southern Fells are done, but only 5 Western ones - apart from my usual personal chaos, I was struggling with a knee I hurt falling on Scafell. On the other hand, I've been in some wonderful places - Scafell (before heading into the less wonderful parts!), Wasdale, right up Eskdale, and my first visit to Buttermere.

Only 1 Munro, late in the year. No Pentland Marilyns - I've barely been in the Pentlands at all.

In better news, the Moffat trip was fairly successful, if partly in thick fog, and I got along the coast from Seaham to Redcar (and even quite enjoyed Middlesbrough). No Berwickshire, but the unexpected success of the year has been (fingers crossed for tomorrow) walking the Borders Abbeys Way, after getting Historic Scotland membership for my Christmas last year!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: How did you get on in 2016?

Postby Quincy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Good idea. I'm so pleased I managed to make it to 50 Munro this year which was my exact goal. Okay so I only had to climb 13 but it was a solo feet for me so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself! I also completed the lochalsh dirty 30 and another few long days out so did not bad. And for next year...
Quincy
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:46
Fionas:15   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Tom282 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Was on 37 Munros at the start of 2016... and in the middle of July. Climbed the Corbett Cliseam on Harris in April though-my first Corbett. By the end of August, I had managed 3 Munro's to get to 40. Since then it's been a mad dash to get to 50. I'm sitting on 49 but will hopefully get the 50th in before New Year.
Tom282
Mountain Walker

Munros:135   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:14

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Modest start, but I got all my kit from scratch, one wee 'un report, one Munro (Lomond) and a few test nights out in the tent. Was going to get out for a couple more in December but weather stopped play - I'd rather have it dry and cold than wet.

Plenty of opportunity to crack on in 2017.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby WalkingDutchman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Did lousy this year. Never made it to the Highlands :(
Oh well, better luck next year...

(Did manage a wee trip to the Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes District, but that's just second best to me :lol: )
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Postby StevieC » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:28 am

I'm another one who made it to 50 munros after starting the year in the mid-thirties.

Also, inspired by that BBC4 programme on the Ordnance Surver, I managed to bag all 36 surviving triangulation pillars marked on the OS Explorer Glasgow map :D
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby KatTai » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Reached 20 Munro's this year, 8 new ones and repeated 7 with my new dog so she can catch up :lol: . Not a lot compared to some but I'm happy with this years tally! :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby rgallie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:39 am

Took an interest in hill walking in early Feb this year, did my first Munro on the 20th of March (Ben Wyvis) and have tallied it up to 24 now, was also up Ben Wyvis an additional 3 times. Done about half of them solo, I think I prefer solo as there is nobody to moan to when things gets painful and tiring :lol: . Wouldn't mind getting another 6 in before 20th March 2017.
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:06 pm

My aim is only to have a great day out on the hills, I don't care if it is a Munro or not. On that basis, it's been a brilliant year, kicking off with a week of stunning weather in March where we did a lot of great hills, based at the Saddle Hostel in Invergarry.

Although I am not a peak bagger as such, there are particular hills that fascinate me, one was Sgurr a'Mhaoraich partly because of its odd name (Shellfish Mountain) and partly because I thought it would be an excellent viewpoint. It was an absolute joy to climb this hill on a day of crystal-clarity visibility. The Aonachs ridge, Sgurr nan Eugallt, Glen Affric and Sron a'Choire Gharbh were other highlights of a great week.

A total contrast was a family and cultural holiday in Italy in April, where we did some lovely coastal walks and also climbed Vesuvius. l was especially pleased that my wife, who has bad knees, was able by sheer determination to reach the top of Vesuvius.

Summer is my least favourite time of year for walking: I prefer the colour palette of autumn and winter, and I think the hills always look wilder and more challenging! So apart from a hazy but very pleasant stroll up Moel Siabod, I didn't do much over the summer - but in September I organised a work-related charity walk to Cadair Idris, one of my favourite hills, and that whetted my appetite for all things outdoors again. The next really top walk was Kinder Scout under an early-winter dump of snow. Christmas was an unexpected bonus: my brother-in-law suggested a couple of walks, both very familiar to me but both were superb - Helvellyn being an especial highlight - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68912

I'm now looking forward to a long weekend in the Lakes in January and a trip to Skye in March. Can't wait to get to grips with the Cuillin! I also have a few coastal walks in mind for those wet weather days that, I'm told, occasionally happen in Skye. I'm also taking a couple of days before going over to Skye to have a bit more time in the West Highlands: last time we didn't do Gleouraich / Spidean Mialach, despite the great weather, as we felt the views would be too similar to Sgurr a'Mhaoraich, but this year Gleouraich is the walk I'd really like to do in that area.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Coop » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:11 pm

Disappointing end to the year on the hills yesterday, but overall, if I achieve half what I've achieved this year; in 2017, I'll be more than happy.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby litljortindan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Amazed now that I managed to get to A' Mhaighdean in March. Other highlights were a May sunrise walk to Shelterstone Crag and some long awaited coastal walks on Skye in Autumn. Following kidney problems I'm planning around water sources and have bought a drinking straw/filter that will hopefully prove handy.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby scoob999 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 pm

91 Munros
30 Corbetts
11 Grahams
9 Subs
4 Hewitts

Nihahi ridge Canada with ChrisW
Mt Temple nearly :( got to within 300ft of the summit but did make it to over 11,300ft
Idaho Peak and seen our first Grizzly with 2 cubs

Most of the Fife coastal path

Not as much as i'd thought we'd do, but had a great year 8)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 pm

Another good year on the hills. Highlights (apologies for slightly indulgent post):

-Streap and Braigh nan Uamhachan in January. Bit grey but a brilliant long winter's day out.

-Beinn nan Lus and others from Vicrtoria Bridge in April. Knew this would be good but it way exceeded expectations - looking forward to a future high camp somewhere round the back of Ben Starav.

-Paps of Jura in mid-May. Fantastic high camp between Beinn and Oir and Beinn a' Chaolais watching the sun go down over Colonsay.

-Summit camp on Beinn Luibheinn the very next night after a circuit of the Cobbler and Beinn Ime.

-Ruadh-Stac Beag with my dad in June.

-A tropical July afternoon spent driving across Lewis, Harris and the Uists, including stop-offs for the beach and 3 small hills.

-A long weekend bothying on Rum which included finishing the Corbetts and Grahams. Rubbish weather on the Rum Cuillin ridge, but spectacular elsewhere on the island.

-Not the best weather, but Eabhal on North Uist is one of the best small hills in the country. Finally got up it in August.

-Slioch on a lovely day in early autumn.

-Summit camp on Beinn Mor Coigach on a benign October weekend.

-Two nights in Duinish bothy with my brother-in-law on a cold but sunny weekend in late November.

The stats:
-88 Marilyns (including 58 new ones)
-19 hill days using public transport
-10 Bothy nights in 8 bothies (including 5 new ones)
-5 nights of camping (including 2 summit camps)
-Lots of islands visited (although I didn't manage to go for a walk on all of them): Skye (4 times), Lewis/Harris (3 times each), Uists/Benbecula (twice each), Berneray, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Rum, Jura, Colonsay, Coll, Bute and Great Cumbrae (also docked on Eigg and Tiree on the ferry, but didn't get off).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sgurr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:12 pm

92 Marilyns during the year and a few Donalds thrown in for good measure. Encouraged by Malky, a few highlights

Skye in January, the only bright hour/// Arrochar in January/// Weird who you meet on the hill (7 before 77 in Fife)/// St. KIlda in June /// The Welsh Matterhorn /// Wales again/// Wales in July /// Attempting a Donald /// Caitehal is the furthest Marilyn from the road. We cheated, you can see our boatman.

We also bagged our last English Marilyn, Mickle Fell, after jumping trough all the army's red-tape hoops, and then finished them again when Muncaster Fell's summit was changed.
2016 was a good year as long as we closed our ears to what was happening in the wider world.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Somerled87 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Great year, don't expect I'll have better due to all the "firsts" and doing most of my walking in a very sunny May.

Highlights would be perfect warm sunny midgey-free days on Being Alligin, Liathach, An Teallach, Sgurr Mhic Coinnich, Braeriach, Caingorm-Beinn Mheadhoin-Ben Macdui circuit, Ring of Steall, Sgurr Dubh Mor and Sgurr nan Eag. All first times.

First time going up in snow with an ice axe, on Being Dorain. First time high camping, on Being Bhuidhe. First time to NW Sutherland, Beinn Spionnaidh, Cranstackie. Sandwood Bay camping at sunset with my wife for her birthday, after Knoydart plans were rained off. First time on Mamores.

3 Osprey sightings (Clyde by Abington services, A9 crossing River Earn, Loch Lomond RSPB), 3 Sea Eagle sightings, 3 Golden Eagle sightings, a Hen Harrier (all Skye), a Peregrine on Sgurr nan Sgine, 3 snow bunting sightings, 2 otter sightings, a weasel.

35 Munros
3 Corbetts
2 Grahams

Wish list for 2017, Knoydart, whales, capercaillie, a long weekend in Assynt, 15 Munro's on A82-A87.
Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:179   Corbetts:20
Fionas:15   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion