walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Out in the hills again!

Out in the hills again!

Postby Bean » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:12 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 17/12/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11.7 km

Ascent: 1050m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Out in the hills again and how I had missed them!
Leaving our wee six month old at home for the first time with trusty grandma as babysitter, we set out to feel the wind in our hair......as far from home as we dared. Grandad wisely jumped at the chance to join us over babysitting :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had an even earlier rise than normal :shock: and I drifted in and out of a sleep in the back seat as my dad drove us through the dark countryside to the start of the walk.
I was woken with a start as we pulled into the carpark, the outlines of the hills and trees visible with the dawn light and a bright moon overhead. The temperature was unseasonably mild which helped with the feelings of wanting to crawl back into bed. A fleeting feeling of madness passed over me that I had choosen to get up so early on my first day of freedom.

IMG_3174.JPG
Leaving in the dark

With the daylight gathering fast we crossed through the farm and could now see the lower slopes ahead of us. We stopped to discuss our route up and decided to go left of the small craggs half way up, as seen below.
IMG_3177.JPG
The steep slope up the first Munro

It was a bit of a slog up (feeling VERY unfit :shock: ) but easy going and not as steep as it had looked from below.

IMG_3179.JPG
View back down the glen

Nice views down the glen and it seemed like we were going to be lucky with the weather too, could have quite easily been a day in July!

IMG_3180.JPG
A relentless slog

A view up the slope towards the crags above. We spotted a small alluvial fan among the rocky skyline and decided to head for it in order to pass through the crags. This turned out to be a nice easy way up, seen just left of middle in photo below.

IMG_3182.JPG
The route through the upper rock band and the alluvial fan.

IMG_3184.JPG
Fine views

Over the crags the slopes we continued more gently, passing over a style and continued up the ridge. Here we found lots of rocky outcrops which made for a lovely walk.

IMG_3187.JPG
The ridge leveling out and entering the cloud

IMG_3188.JPG
The ridge became surprisingly rocky

We made it to the summit of Beinn Tulaichean suprisingly quickly, my first of 2016 and made all better for the wait!

IMG_3190.JPG
Summit selfie

After a short stop on the summit & some of Dad's dark rum from the hip flask we pressed on down the ridge towards the bealach, an obvious and easy path to lead the way. We were up against some strong cross winds and gusts but nothing too hairy and the forecast was for them to ease as the day went on.

IMG_3191.JPG
Onward route into the cloud from the bealach

IMG_3192.JPG
From where we came

Dad racing off into the distance, secretly pleased to be the fittest by far of the party :clap:

IMG_3197.JPG
Dad at the summit. No views unfortunately.

Wind blasted picture of a pleased Dad and I having reached the summit of Cruach Ardrain.

IMG_3203.JPG
Dad and I on the summit. Very windy.

IMG_3208.JPG
Alistair looking cold but happy

Icy winds caused us to made a quick u turn back down towards the bealach as the cloud blew in and out.
Keen to race back to my wee nipper and the majority of the walk under our belts we pressed on with a spring in our step.

IMG_3210.JPG
On descent

IMG_3212.JPG
A happy walker and glad to be back on the hill

We retraced our steps down to a small cairn in the bealach which marked the top of our descent path.

IMG_3216.JPG
Retracing our steps back to the bealach.

IMG_3218.JPG

After a while the path petered out but it was simple enough to pick a route down. Now out of the wind finally we stopped for lunch and some more rum on a lunch rock with a view! Nothing better, and topped off with some tasty home made bread sarnies, thanks Dad!

IMG_3224.JPG
Stop for a bite to eat

IMG_3228.JPG
Alistair eyeing up the route down

The weather held and we enjoyed a nice easy walk down the slopes to join the landrover track back out.

IMG_3231.JPG
The boys

Brilliant to be back out and sneak a few into 2016, after all what year would be complete without a hill or two!

Needless to say the wee bairn wasnae too chuffed aboot it a' :lol:
Last edited by Bean on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bean
Wanderer

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Out in the hills again!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi there, it looks like you really enjoyed your long overdue hill day. Hope it's not such a long time the next time your back on the hills, good old Granny and Grampa letting you enjoy your day in complete confidence :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 pm

The "Crianlarich" hills and those around Arrochar were where I cut my teeth in the hills. In my pursuit of ticking hills off list I've not been back for years now. I really should make a point of returning sometime during 2017, as they are great hills.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:18 pm

What a lovely way to spend your first day out without the wee one - and I'm sure Granny enjoyed it too! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 am

Thank you for the comments! Yes Granny can't wait for the next Munro I suspect :lol:
They are great hills, looking forward to Ben More one day soon!
Bean
Wanderer

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland