walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Balquidder start, Meall an t-Seallaidh, steep and quick

Balquidder start, Meall an t-Seallaidh, steep and quick

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Route description: Creag an Tuirc, Balquhidder

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 03/01/2017

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 7.82 km

Ascent: 725m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the first Corbett of 2017 in fact the first hill walk of 2017. Did we consider the WH route, no, not really as I had already done the other Munro, did we consider the SMC route, no, too long, no we were to follow the route suggested by U059361 which took 3 hours to complete, this fitted the bill perfectly as I had eyes on another Corbett ( Meall nan Subh from the South) for the afternoon which unfortunately did not come to fruition because of some new signage at Kenknock farm which states only authorised vehicles past this point, and as I had to go right past the farm to find the rough road over to Glen Lyon decided to leave for another day when I would be visiting Glen Lyon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The starting point on the East side of the Church and Churchyard where Rob Roy's Grave is situated
2.JPG
Track to the right clearly signposted
3.JPG
Access gate to C an T
4.JPG
Cairn on top of Creag an Tuiric
5.JPG
Clan Maclaren society plaque on cairn
6.JPG
View down Loch Voil
7.JPG
The cairn and bench for the tourists on Creag an Tuiric
8.JPG
View from Creag an Tuiric over Loch Voil
9.JPG
Creag an Tuirc (the tourists hill) from the track below
10.JPG
The track soon becomes a grassy path through the woods, and no you won't find any tourists along here, they have already back tracked from the access gate to Creag an Tuiric
11.JPG
The gate into the field where the steep climb begins, underfoot conditions pretty dry and this is January
12.JPG
We just followed the fence line on the right more or less
13.JPG
Beinn an t-Sithein 572 in the foreground with Ben Vane behind on the right, feint signs of a path in the dry underfoot conditions
14.JPG
We came to a burn and went right to walk adjacent to burn climbing as we went until a suitable crossing point could be found
15.JPG
We climbed further on until we came to another burn which we followed until a line of fence posts appeared, in the distance the summit of Meall an t-Seallaidh
16.JPG
The lower Southern cairn the trig point is 80 m further North and highest point another 3 m on. Photo looking over Loch Voil
17.JPG
View from trig point 852 m to lower cairn South
18.JPG
Summit Trig Point is actually 30 cm lower than small cairn 3 m NNE, the first cairn 80 m South of trig point is lower. Time taken 1 hour 45 mins
19.JPG
On the way back we find the remains of a sheep
20.JPG
Looking back from the gate up towards Creag Mhullaich
21.JPG
View to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin
22.JPG
The track leading down the East side of the Church towards the car parking area. Highly recommend this route if your short of time and you have already done the other Corbett Creag Mac Ranaich 809 m to the NE, once you have climbed the initial climb to the top of the tree plantation on your right the going flattens out and is pretty dry underfoot.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Balquidder start, Meall an t-Seallaidh, steep and quick

Postby basscadet » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Looked like a good jaunt - we were in the area recently and were so uninspired by the boggy tedium, we went home a graham early! :lol: Should of gone up this one that you have made look a whole lot better :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:06 pm

basscadet wrote:Looked like a good jaunt - we were in the area recently and were so uninspired by the boggy tedium, we went home a graham early! :lol: Should of gone up this one that you have made look a whole lot better :)

Hi basscadet, I see you have done both Corbetts before, did you tackle them from the North or the standard route recommended by WH? Either way I bet it was a lot wetter underfoot than this approach. Fine views from this approach as well :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby basscadet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am

Aye, I went up the walk highlands way one Friday night in high summer and camped between the 2 corbets then took the long way back over he other side and back to Lochearnhead down the old railway.. Should of stuck to the baggers paths, but for meall an t'seallaidh I took a more direct route that was affy tiring plodding through knee deep moss :lol: wasn't wet at all underfoot though- maybe the time of year, although there was rain while I was in the tent.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:08 am

Done a few different routes on this pair but not this one - useful to know, many thanks!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:15 pm

jmarkb wrote:Done a few different routes on this pair but not this one - useful to know, many thanks!

Meall Nan Subh in Glen Lyon I see you haven't done yet, I might just try out a different approach to this one since I could not approach from the South by car. The wee detour to the tourist hill was worth it for very little effort as well :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:49 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Meall Nan Subh in Glen Lyon I see you haven't done yet, I might just try out a different approach to this one since I could not approach from the South by car

Ah, my Corbett count on here is for a (not very likely) second round. Did Meall nan Subh from the top of the road when it was still accessible (it was quite a long time ago). It's not top of my list for a repeat visit, but going up the SE tops from Glen Lochay and back down via the road might add a bit of interest, though probably quite rough going.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:06 pm

jmarkb wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Meall Nan Subh in Glen Lyon I see you haven't done yet, I might just try out a different approach to this one since I could not approach from the South by car

Ah, my Corbett count on here is for a (not very likely) second round. Did Meall nan Subh from the top of the road when it was still accessible (it was quite a long time ago). It's not top of my list for a repeat visit, but going up the SE tops from Glen Lochay and back down via the road might add a bit of interest, though probably quite rough going.

Impressive stuff :) I originally meant to do from Glen Lyon from the dam road but note there are two bridges across the burn lower down so I might make use of them as I combine it with the other Glen Lyon Corbett to the West of he Lawers/Lyon road. Been on a few rough boggy ones so this one was fine change.
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland