walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lochy munros in rain, cloud, snow, sun, wind...

Loch Lochy munros in rain, cloud, snow, sun, wind...

Postby happyhiker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 17/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

better late than never for this walk report (what a busy week it's been!) - hopefully i can remember it all :?
We had a weekend away last week and kicked off by camping at Fort Augustus. First camping trip of the year for me and time to test out my new sleeping bag (great birthday pressie form kiltedbiggles!!). glad to report the alpkit sleeping bag was truly fantastic - so much so that he's away with it this weekend as it is so much better than his (hmm now thinking the birthday pressie was maybe more for him than me :lol: ). It was also a chance to try out my new pacer poles... happy to report they seemed to be good too!
After such a great weekend the week before we knew we weren't going to have the same luck on this trip. We woke to the pouring rain but after some porridge we were set to go. A wee drive down to the car park at Laggan Locks and the waterproofs on and away we went.
DSC04452.jpg
looking back to the car park

This walk starts off as part of the Great Glen Way and it really is gorgeous round here - i'm def motivated to do the GGW now (and planning the WHW in the summer!).
DSC04454.jpg

DSC04455.jpg

at this point our main drama was deciding - jacket on or off - if only the rain would make up it's bloody mind!
DSC04459.jpg

As we made our way up through the forest we passed the waterfall - if only i'd brought my SLR - i love waterfall photos!
The walk report did warn that it was a steep climb through the forest - they weren't lying! It certainly got the heart rate up and i was glad when we broke the tree line
DSC04461.jpg

The rest of the walk towards the bealach was fine. Then we headed to the north to Sron a Choire Garbh. This is pretty steep going too but the stalkers path is fantastic - made it straightforward and not too bad going. Going up here we passed two folk coming down - the only people we saw all day! The weather was getting gradually worse at this point and by the time we got to the top we could barely see a thing (surprise surprise!) and we had a wee bit snow just to keep us entertained. The wind prompted us to try some stupid summit poses...
DSC04468.jpg

As we started to head off the summit the cloud suddenly cleared to give a view of the edge of the ridge but unfortunately not if the stunning views
DSC04470.jpg
now you see it

DSC04469.jpg
now you don't!

a quick descent back to the bealach and munch on our ham and cheese wraps and then we made our way across to Meall na Teanga. We seemed to rock it up here in quick time - but looking at the pictures of my knackered face i dont think we were going too slowly!
DSC04483.jpg

Horrible wind, rain, hail on this summit so we didn't hang about and headed straight back down. It even got sunny at this point!! Again we were back to the bealach in no time at all.
The worst bit was the very long walk back to the car - this felt like it took hours to get back. As nice as it was going it it was a bit more boring on the return - or maybe it was just that we could taste that bottle of tiger from the fantastic floating pub - 'the Eagle Barge' - that place is great!! Once we got back - quick removal of waterproofs and off to the pub for a quick one, then Aviemore for the rest of the long weekend!
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: Loch Lochy munros in rain, cloud, snow, sun, wind...

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

I enjoyed Meall na Teanga - I found the Sron a bit steep coming back down the zig-zags though - wish I'd gone along the ridge for my descent as originally planned - I found it a bit vertiginous looking down from the zig-zags - although they do take a very good route down the hill admittedly... We went along the ridge of the Sron for quite a way and back though just to see what it was like - it's a really nice ridge... I've got my eye on Ben Tee behind now.

It was a longish walk back to the car - but you did park at the carpark partway along the forest track and not in the village didn't you?

Richard's a real-ale fan and he loved the barge ales... I liked the barge too - it's done out really nicely isn't it?
mountain coward

Postby happyhiker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 pm

yeah i think it just felt really long on the way back and the beer was calling!! Yeah the barge is great - and they are so friendly there. we have graet plans of heading back for a couple days camping and making more of the Eagle Barge :D
I just wish we had a little better weather so we could have appreciated some of the great views on offer! just a good reason to go back i guess
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 pm

I love Fort Augustus too - one of my favourite places, even though it is quite touristy... where abouts did you camp?
mountain coward

Postby happyhiker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm

yeah it is a nice place and it was very quiet when we were there - no tourists (except us i guess lol!). we camped at the Stravaigers site - normally we go for wild camping but thought we'd go upmarket this time :D
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby snodland » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Last March I had one of the best views ever from a mountain top - all the way to the Skye Cuillins, when up on Sron.
I had a companion with me who I kept quiet on the summit by telling her (and this is not a lie) that I had read there is a visitor book in a coffee jar inside a small wooden box at the top.

Well she was all over the summit looking for it but to no avail. Has anyone else heard of this? I understand there is also one on either Saileag or Mam Sohail, can't remember which.

Plus - we had a great day (and it was a good day - I really enjoyed it)
Me on Sron na Choire Gairbh, Sgorr na Ciche left of me and Loch Quoich right of me.JPG
Strange little English fello blocks a lovely view on to op Sron na Coire Ghaire. Sgrr na Ciche over my right shoulder,Loch Quoich and in distance Skye over my left
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby happyhiker » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:06 am

I've never heard that before!!
Thanks for the pic - always nice to see what the view would be if the weather was clear :D
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Sat May 01, 2010 12:50 am

snodland wrote:LI had a companion with me who I kept quiet on the summit by telling her (and this is not a lie) that I had read there is a visitor book in a coffee jar inside a small wooden box at the top.

Well she was all over the summit looking for it but to no avail. Has anyone else heard of this? I understand there is also one on either Saileag or Mam Sohail, can't remember which.

I seem to remember a plastic tupperware-type box in the cairn on Meall na Teanga (not Sron a Choire Garbh). May well be what you are talking about. This was in 1998 though - who knows if it is still there now.

As for Saileg or Mam Sohail, I don't know anything about visitor's books on those. Maybe someone else does?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby walk aboot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 pm

snodland wrote:Last March I had one of the best views ever from a mountain top - all the way to the Skye Cuillins, when up on Sron.
I had a companion with me who I kept quiet on the summit by telling her (and this is not a lie) that I had read there is a visitor book in a coffee jar inside a small wooden box at the top.Well she was all over the summit looking for it but to no avail. Has anyone else heard of this? I understand there is also one on either Saileag or Mam Sohail, can't remember which.

Plus - we had a great day (and it was a good day - I really enjoyed it)
Me on Sron na Choire Gairbh, Sgorr na Ciche left of me and Loch Quoich right of me.JPG

Oi, that was me!!! :lol:

Got to agree though, it still ranks as one of my very best views ever 8)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby walk aboot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 pm

malky_c wrote:
snodland wrote:LI had a companion with me who I kept quiet on the summit by telling her (and this is not a lie) that I had read there is a visitor book in a coffee jar inside a small wooden box at the top.

I seem to remember a plastic tupperware-type box in the cairn on Meall na Teanga (not Sron a Choire Garbh). May well be what you are talking about. This was in 1998 though - who knows if it is still there now.

As for Saileg or Mam Sohail, I don't know anything about visitor's books on those. Maybe someone else does?

It can't be there now, I turned over every single stone and still couldn't find it?!!! :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland