walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spartleton

Spartleton

Postby U059361 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Route description: Gamelshiel Castle and Spartleton Hill

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Spartleton

Date walked: 05/01/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 282m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A nice wee walk up in an area I know nothing about, if you are short of time in Edinburgh and fed up with the Pentlands this makes a nice change. The going was good and I did my best to avoid proper surfaced tracks, sticking to worn landrover tracks instead. It was -4C when I set out and part of the reservoir was frozen over but the sun was shining and blue sky all around. The castle must have been a wee tower house. I cut short the official route as it didn't look very interesting and I followed a track past feeding stations down towards the burn leading back to the reservoir. This route gave me an overview of the reservoir itself. All in all, a pleasant exercise after new year and another hill bagged.
ImageGamelshiel Castle and Spartleton Hill by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSpartleton Hill top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSparkling Spartleton by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImagePentlands view by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSpartleton Hill by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageWhiteadder Reservoir by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland