walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maol Chinn-Dearg Its all Snow Beautiful

Maol Chinn-Dearg Its all Snow Beautiful

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maol chinn-dearg

Date walked: 14/01/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 746m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The South Sheil Ridge has a reputation (quite rightly) as a fine linear ridge walk and the opportunity it provides for mutiple munro bagging. Less well known are the shorter, but equally enjoyable direct ascents to many of its summits.
The ridge leading directly up to Maol Chinn Dearg is narrow enough to be interesting without being too exciting for us in winter conditions and short enough that we wouldn't have to get out of bed too early :lol: .
The return of the snow this week provided the motivation we needed to get out :D. The weather reports suggested the day would be essentially dry with the highest winds at 35mph, and the cloud cover and visibility variable.
IMG_5678.JPG
The Route

The drive to Kintail was slow, with fresh snow slowing the traffic and it was 10:00 before we were suited and booted and on our way.
The joys of walking through virgin snow outweighed any disadvantages of breaking trail, even an early sinking into a particularly smelly boggy hole :lol: . The stream and The Allt Coire a Chuil Droma Beag were both full of snow which hid the stepping stones but was too soft for a snow bridge, but some poking about with a treking pole downstream of the usual ford identified a narrow section and we crossed with dry feet :D. Initially the path was surprisingly visible as we headed towards the ridge.
IMG_5655.JPG
Heading towards the broad start of the ridge

There was a large herd of deer on the lower slopes, the only wildlife we saw all day.
After following the path for about an hour it disappeared into the snow. There were a number of heathery ribs that looked like they led up to the main ridge so rather than trying to trace a zig zagging path in the snow we headed up one of these.
IMG_5677.JPG
Up the heathery rib
There were a number of steep snowy gullies running up the hill and we did wonder if they would prove a problem but fortunately there was an easy crossing point on the only one that proved an obstacle. Whilst being certain we were heading in the right direction we weren't sure about our precise location and pleased when a GPS ref showed we were higher than expected and less than 100m from the path :D , which we rejoined shortly after our moment of doubt.
IMG_5656.JPG
The ridge getting narrower
IMG_5675.JPG
Aonach Air Crith ridge an easy but exposed grade 1 scramble

The winds felt much stronger as we moved onto the more exposed section of the ridge, and I got to play with my new toy, a wind metre, which showed the gusts were 45mph.
We were approaching a steep, narrow rocky knoll, which looked unavoidable :roll:. Feeling a little apprehensive we sheltered behind a large rock to consider our options. To crampon or not to crampon :? Up to this point any harder sections of snow and ice had been avoidable and with a fairly sparse covering of snow crampons were going to be more of a hindarence than help so we decided to give them a miss but make our ice axes more accessible.
In fact, the path ran through the knoll and only a minimal amount of hands on was required :lol:
IMG_5657.JPG
The rocky knoll
IMG_5658.JPG

There was one steepish snowy section of ridge after the knoll but by the time I thought about getting the ice axe out it was over and we were on easy ground heading towards the summit.
IMG_5659.JPG
13:00 Maol Chinn- Dearg summit
IMG_5660.JPG
Feeling blustry
IMG_5661.JPG
South Sheil Ridge
IMG_5662.JPG
Summit views south
IMG_5663.JPG
And again
IMG_5664.JPG
Down into Glen Sheil
Again my photos don't come close to reflecting how beautiful the landscape looked with its initial covering of snow, but it was time to go.
We had spied out our sheltered lunch spot on the way up so we were keen to get down too it.
IMG_5665.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG
Ice Axe adding security to the descent
IMG_5667.JPG
IMG_5668.JPG
Down the rocky section
IMG_5669.JPG
Sheltered spot for Jeremy Jetboil
IMG_5670.JPG
14:15 out of the shelter and on our way
IMG_5671.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG
A final photo looking back
IMG_5673.JPG
Why do I always do this?
IMG_5674.JPG
Funny how the path is always easier to follow on the way down
IMG_5676.JPG
Blue Skies over Loch Cluanie

Back to the car for 15:45. A great way up or down to the South Sheil Ridge summer or winter and extra special for the snow. The next ridge along Druim Thollaidh also looks a good route to try before the winter ends.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Maol Chinn-Dearg Its all Snow Beautiful

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:32 pm

You've got some great photos here - love the one on the summit with Loch Quoich behind. Looks like hard work but so worth it! :thumbup:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 pm

dogplodder wrote:You've got some great photos here - love the one on the summit with Loch Quoich behind. Looks like hard work but so worth it! :thumbup:

Thank you, the summit views were spectacular, and well worth the effort. :D
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Coop » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 pm

On the "to do this summer" list!

Fantastic pics and report. Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Challenging but worth the effort - well done - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby trederdog 100 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Some great atmospheric snow photo's there! A walk isn't as fun without sinking in the snow or bog either!
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Postby JEfoundmybootsagain » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 am

Great report and love the pics. Having been on ridge nearly 30 years ago from Cluanie end and coming off after Aonach Air Crith, due to getting cooked by baking sun, this would make a brill attack at the rest of the ridge. Never really thought of getting onto MCD this way. Always assumed I would have to tackle whole ridge again and much older legs may not like that. will look at making plans for this one. Thanks for the inspiration to get over there again.

John
JEfoundmybootsagain
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:25 am

Visibility in kintail?! :shock: :shock:

I love how the hills look in snow, it's just so exciting :D nice photies :thumbup:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 am

Ohhh winter conditions! Shame they didn't last... I'm glad we all managed at least one white weekend!

We had descended this ridge once but in summer time, we had bikes waiting for us at the bottom to cycle back to Shiel Bridge. It looks even more fun in winter :D

But weather is crazy this year! Saturday was all winter wonderland (we went to climb a nice Munro in Drummochter area), temp below zero, knee deep snow and on the eastern side, even some blue sky in the afternoon. Sunday - +10*C in Inverness!!! Monday afternoon, Wyvis lost most of the snow cover. By the next weekend, it will be all dull and bare again :(
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Looks like a good plan :) . I was going to go up this way between Christmas and New Year, and probably do a circuit over 2 or 3 of the summits. But in the end, I couldn't be bothered with the gloomy weather so I went somewhere closer to home. Definitely on the agenda for this winter sometime though 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Coop wrote:On the "to do this summer" list!

Fantastic pics and report. Cheers

Thanks Coop, hope you have good weather, Kintail is great anytime of year :D

rockhopper wrote:Challenging but worth the effort - well done - cheers :)

Very worth it, hope the snow comes back soon. Cheers

trederdog 100 wrote:Some great atmospheric snow photo's there! A walk isn't as fun without sinking in the snow or bog either!

Thank you Trederdog. I have all the fun, I'm an expert at falling in bog and snow, :lol: :lol:

JEfoundmybootsagain wrote:Great report and love the pics. Having been on ridge nearly 30 years ago from Cluanie end and coming off after Aonach Air Crith, due to getting cooked by baking sun, this would make a brill attack at the rest of the ridge. Never really thought of getting onto MCD this way. Always assumed I would have to tackle whole ridge again and much older legs may not like that. will look at making plans for this one. Thanks for the inspiration to get over there again.

John

Glad you enjoyed the report John. There are quite a few options for shorter ups and downs to The Ridge and well worth a visit in their own right, we hope to do more exploring in the area this year.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Jaxter wrote:Visibility in kintail?! :shock: :shock:

I love how the hills look in snow, it's just so exciting :D nice photies :thumbup:

Thank you Jaxter, I love the snow, I wish it would stop playing hide and seek :lol: If you didn't get the veiws in Kintail you have the best excuse for going back and doing it all again, It really is worth it. :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:Ohhh winter conditions! Shame they didn't last... I'm glad we all managed at least one white weekend!

We had descended this ridge once but in summer time, we had bikes waiting for us at the bottom to cycle back to Shiel Bridge. It looks even more fun in winter :D

But weather is crazy this year! Saturday was all winter wonderland (we went to climb a nice Munro in Drummochter area), temp below zero, knee deep snow and on the eastern side, even some blue sky in the afternoon. Sunday - +10*C in Inverness!!! Monday afternoon, Wyvis lost most of the snow cover. By the next weekend, it will be all dull and bare again :(

I am glad you got out in the snow too, I wonder if we passed each other going opposite directions on the A9 around Inverness? Sad when the snow goes :( I keep looking out the window hoping the forecast is wrong but The Hils of Cromdale are looking very bare after their white week.
Maol Chinn Dearg does make a good winter up or down, hope you enjoy it if you give it a go and am looking forward to the report your W/E adventure .

malky_c wrote:Looks like a good plan :) . I was going to go up this way between Christmas and New Year, and probably do a circuit over 2 or 3 of the summits. But in the end, I couldn't be bothered with the gloomy weather so I went somewhere closer to home. Definitely on the agenda for this winter sometime though 8)

Thank you Malky. We found it difficult to get motivated to go anywhere in the mild weather :( . Hope we get the weather for you to try your plans in Kintail, never know may see you up there. :D
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 am

Great to see this one in the snow. I only hope there's white stuff about when we'll be there mid-Feb :roll: - done nothing in the snow yet this winter :( (winter..???)

What weird weather this year...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby katyhills » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:11 am

Alteknacker wrote:Great to see this one in the snow. I only hope there's white stuff about when we'll be there mid-Feb :roll: - done nothing in the snow yet this winter :( (winter..???)

Even weird last spring here in west Scotland - dry ground, bogs you could walk over without sinking knee deep into them :D
Great report and pix. Good way to tackle these individually or in two parts - it's a long hike unless you have two cars or bikes.
Shame the snow's been so short lived. Very strange indeed. Even coming home on Saturday, Ben Lomond had less snow than it had on the outward journey.
Is it all Donald Trump's fault? HIs 'hair' is sending shock waves across the pond :lol:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 am

Alteknacker wrote:Great to see this one in the snow. I only hope there's white stuff about when we'll be there mid-Feb :roll: - done nothing in the snow yet this winter :( (winter..???)

Weird weather indeed. I think the south has stolen our winter :lol: :lol: and parts of England are warmer than Cairngorm summit this morning. I hope there is some good snow for you in February, in the meanwhile if you see any your way please send it north. :lol:
katyhills wrote:Great report and pix. Good way to tackle these individually or in two parts - it's a long hike unless you have two cars or bikes.
Shame the snow's been so short lived. Very strange indeed. Even coming home on Saturday, Ben Lomond had less snow than it had on the outward journey.
Is it all Donald Trump's fault? HIs 'hair' is sending shock waves across the pond :lol:
[/quote]
Thank you Katy. You could be right about Donald Trumps hair being to blame :lol: :lol: or maybe The snow has scuttled over to Europe before Brexit :lol: :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland