walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Heavenly Helvellyn

Heavenly Helvellyn

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn

Date walked: 28/12/2016

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 764m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2016 has been a remarkable year in many respects, political upheaval and a cull of celebrities to name but a few. One way it hasn't been remarkable is the hill walking adventures of Mr and Mrs JKLL and there beloved children, Grace and Hughie the Westie. There have been highlights including a great week of sunshine on the wonderful Isle of Arran and a first visit to Austria but in the main hill walking has ground to a halt in the face of other commitments.

This was only our second full family day out in the Lakes of the year :shock: and it was great to see all our old friends as we made our way to Swirls Car Park for a short and simple wander up Helvellyn. With the forecast pointing towards temperature inversions we had decided to go high but didn't fancy anything overly ambitious due to icy rocks and lack of fitness. A great start to the walk was the out of order ticket machine for the parking :D so with this setting the tone off we went.

ImageLooking up to St. Johns in the Vale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWaterspout clouds by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTrees against the inversion by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLight breaking over the ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLight on Swirls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews opening up nicely by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSwirling mists by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThirlmere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEngland's highest across the inversion by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Frozen path above Browncove crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHeavenly sights by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie has found some snow! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCatstycam and Swiral Edge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRedTarn panorama by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRime Ice on the summit shelter by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDid someone say sandwiches! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards Highstreet by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFairfield by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSummit cuddle by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHelvellyn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This is a very simple route and not particularly exciting but given the conditions today and how precious these outings have now become I didn't give a hoot. The only thing worth noting on the way up was the frost and ice on the made path up the side of Browncove Crags that actually had some people turning around. It was simple enough with care but perhaps I should have took more care with my camera which exited its case and somersaulted down the steepest section of path, I watched it bounce once, twice, thrice......and many more with a grim acceptance that it had taken it's final shot.

The battered item was returned to me by some kindly folks behind me and by some amazing fluke all seemed in good working order :shock: . Whatever faults a Canon EOS M may or not have robust construction is certainly a plus point :D

The remainder of the walk was uneventful, it was quite nippy on the summit but the outstanding conditions and views more than made up for it. I visited Lower man on the way back down as it was the only named English 3000ft top I hadn't visited.

ImageBrowncove Crags from Lower Man by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSun dog by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down Thirlmere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie leads the way by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh on Helvellyn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAfternoon light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSmoking by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross the Void by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCentral Fells with Gable behind by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNegative space by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAlmost back to the car by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSublimation by Anthony Young, on Flickr

All in all a wonderful day out with some memorable sights I was fortunately able to capture with a decent camera rather than a phone. Onward to 2017 and all it will bring both good and bad.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Heavenly Helvellyn

Postby jacob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 am

As always I''m stunned by the quality of your photos. :clap:

my camera which exited its case and somersaulted down the steepest section of path, I watched it bounce once, twice, thrice......and many more with a grim acceptance that it had taken it's final shot.

I've had the same thing happening to my camera once. My heart stood still. :shock: Not because of the money (it's a cheap compact camera), but because I saw all those memories I wanted to take home to the continent rolling down a steep hill. Luckily it stopped rolling somewhere I could still retrieve it.
Glad to see yours could still be retrieved as well. :thumbup:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:49 pm

I have to use that currently un-PC word "stunning" of the pics - because that's really what they are. I particularly like the first pic of St John's in the Vale. Your report has motivated to ensure I get up there before my planned February expedition to the Highlands. Great stuff! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm

RTC wrote:Absolutely wonderful photos.
Cheers RTC

jacob wrote:As always I''m stunned by the quality of your photos. :clap:

my camera which exited its case and somersaulted down the steepest section of path, I watched it bounce once, twice, thrice......and many more with a grim acceptance that it had taken it's final shot.

I've had the same thing happening to my camera once. My heart stood still. :shock: Not because of the money (it's a cheap compact camera), but because I saw all those memories I wanted to take home to the continent rolling down a steep hill. Luckily it stopped rolling somewhere I could still retrieve it.
Glad to see yours could still be retrieved as well. :thumbup:

Thank you once again Jacob, I've dropped my little EOS M several times but never has it somersaulted down rocks before. The thing appears to be largely indestructible :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:I have to use that currently un-PC word "stunning" of the pics - because that's really what they are. I particularly like the first pic of St John's in the Vale. Your report has motivated to ensure I get up there before my planned February expedition to the Highlands. Great stuff! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Alteknacker, with such beautiful winter light is was quite hard to fail, although attempting to break my camera was one way. :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 pm

That is one continuous string of spectacular images from start to finish JK, just beautiful :clap: :clap: I read the falling camera paragraph with a pained expression expecting the worst and have to say I'm impressed with the outcome :crazy:

I guess it must have bounced on corners each time or something, whatever the reason for it's survival I'm glad it did because losing these shots would have been a travesty :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

ChrisW wrote:That is one continuous string of spectacular images from start to finish JK, just beautiful :clap: :clap: I read the falling camera paragraph with a pained expression expecting the worst and have to say I'm impressed with the outcome :crazy:

I guess it must have bounced on corners each time or something, whatever the reason for it's survival I'm glad it did because losing these shots would have been a travesty :clap:

Thank you Chris, you are kind and wise :wink: My little EOS M now resembles a french car, full of dints and scrapes but still perfectly serviceable :D .
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:.....Your report has motivated to ensure I get up there before my planned February expedition to the Highlands. Great stuff! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I did a round on wonderful Saturday last - brilliant. Hope also to find time for a WHR....

Remote Highlands walking it is not, but to see so many folk luxuriating in this wonderful environment has got to be good (once one's got over the selfish disappointment of not being alone :roll: :( ).

Thanks again for the inspiration :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland