walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crock-ing around (and over) the Christmas trees

Crock-ing around (and over) the Christmas trees

Postby superstar_tradesman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Crock

Date walked: 15/01/2017

Time taken: 1.4 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A snowy Sunday in Glen Isla, and an attempt with jackfrost on one of WH’s most celebrated Sub2ks. It would have been a doddle if we hadn’t been insistent on making it a loop walk :)

The B951 up from Kirriemuir wasn’t in the greatest condition, even though the thaw had started. At one point shortly before Kirkton of Glenisla we had to wait for a VW Beetle coming the other direction to turn around, as it couldn’t get up a short steep hill. The minor road up to the houses at Freuchies was covered in snow, but thankfully for us was easily negotiable up to the FC car park.

grmcmpbll's WH report promised us a clear route up to Crock from the west, due to a large amount of recent felling. I’d seen this when I was up Badandun Hill just over a year ago, so we set off up the forest road confident of an easy route to the top. Despite a thick covering of soft snow, we made good progress up past Loch Shandra and the house at Tulloch, and soon saw the felled slopes to our right.

2017-01-15 11.23.43.jpg
Once there were trees up there…

Thankfully the slopes had been reasonably well cleared of brashings, so we plodded directly E uphill, eventually reaching the heathery upper slopes of Crock, and easing off to the summit cairn. As a foothill of the Grampians, it’s a great viewpoint, and the surrounding trees are low enough that they don’t obscure the panorama.

2017-01-15 11.51.07.jpg
South from the summit of Crock

Crock had been kind to us so far, but we weren’t too keen to turn round and follow the same way back to the car. Nether did we want to descend W and then follow the signposted circuit back round to Freuchies, although that might make a nice walk for another time. Instead we continued E off the top, where it looked like there was another cleared area that would give us a way back down to the track.

2017-01-15 11.58.01.jpg
Looking E to Hare Cairn, and a nasty surprise hidden just downhill…

As the slope steepens, Crock’s trap revealed itself below us—a band of felled trees, creating a jumble of snow-covered branches. Negotiating this was tricky to say the least, climbing up, over and under a real mess of tree detritus, and getting plenty of snow in my boots for my troubles.

2017-01-15 12.02.48.jpg
Mmm, fallen trees…

But we made it through, and then it was slightly faster going, down to the track junction.

2017-01-15 12.09.59.jpg
Crock's eastern defences, finally breached

The walk back to Freuchies was made easier as we had tyre tracks in the snow to walk in. No crawling this time, but Crock definitely didn’t give up its blue WH pin too easily :)

A quick lunch, and then up to Mount Blair for something a bit more straightforward
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by superstar_tradesman on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Crock-ing around (and over) the Christmas trees

Postby jackfrost » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 am

An attractive line on the map hides a battle of body and soul in those trees. I think your feet would have been drier wearing a pair of Crocks :lol:
jackfrost
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:188
Fionas:37   Donalds:61
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:38

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm

The trees may have gone but good to see Crock putting up a fight :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes, yes and yes, three cheers for the Crock, another intrepid adventurer hitting the fallen tree trail. Glad to see some of the Crocks defences still exist, it's been made far to easy with all that tree felling :lol: :lol: :lol: Good on you for finding another way off, well kind of :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby superstar_tradesman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Well, I'd happily climb it again, that's all I can say ;)
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Crock has never been the same since they gave it that severe short back and sides. A travesty what they have done to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Graeme D wrote:Crock has never been the same since they gave it that severe short back and sides. A travesty what they have done to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree. Yet another opportunity for my famous Crock photo, emerging via a drainage ditch between the trees

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:24 pm

You could post that photo 100 times a year and I would still giggle :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby superstar_tradesman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Crock has never been the same since they gave it that severe short back and sides. A travesty what they have done to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree. Yet another opportunity for my famous Crock photo, emerging via a drainage ditch between the trees

Oh jings, Sgurr! That reminds me of the downside of orienteering races in some of Scotland's grottier forests. Crawling under trees and trying not to get your eyes poked out…
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland