walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winging it in the Ochills

Winging it in the Ochills

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie, King's Seat Hill, Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 15/01/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1049m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was not good for Sunday in east or west so I couldn't be bothered with a long drive for nae views so opted for something lower and closer to home. I'd had an expedition to the Ochills last year (for similar reasons :lol: ) and was keen to explore them more.

It was a nice easy drive to Dollar and I managed to make my way up amazingly steep narrow streets to the car park at Dollar Glen. It was definitely a day for waterproof socks, especially as my boots were already fairly damp from the day before :shock:

I headed down the steep path into Dollar Glen and made my way along. Although there was no snow, some of the wooden bridge structures were pretty icy and I had to be careful not to end on my backside before leaving the bottom :lol: But it was very pretty and I was glad to be out. If wasn't even raining!!

Some pretty intense wooden structures!

Climbing out the top of the Glen I arrived at Castle Campbell, a historic Scotland and National Trust property. I was annoyed at leaving my membership card in the car as it'd be nice to have a look....but I didn't really fancy going back... :lol: another time...

After the steep climb out of the Glen it was easier walking for a bit as I made it out onto the hill. The route to King's Seat Hill, my only planned target, was simple.

Looking back to Dollar

Ahead to King’s Seat Hill

Bridges and things puffing out smoke

I went over rather than round Bank Hill (because it was there :lol: ) before sloshing my way through bog. There were several other people out - a couple had coats on their dogs :shock: is this normal?!

The watchers on the wall…

It was very warm (for January) so I was gutted when it started raining and I had to add yet more layers :roll: just before the steep climb to the summit. There was enough snow here to make it exciting, although there was practically nothing anywhere else. Reaching the top I was greeted with views of Ben Cleuch and the Ochill massif, as well as my potential next target and in the other direction Fife's many iconic bridges.

Summit!

A very poor photo of the Ochill Massif

My plan so far had been to wing it....which is what I did. Studying the map it looked like I could get to Tarmangie Hill easily enough and follow the ridge down and back to Dollar. Weather was nice (the rain had lasted all of five minutes ) and my knee felt good. If was time for a bigger test :thumbup:

Ahead to Tarmangie Hill and Whitewisp Hill

Following my bearing from the summit I picked up a path which took me all the way down to a bealach (the top of Glen of Sorrow :shock: something I should know?!) where I met some people who seemed to be doing my route in reverse. Relieved that it was a thing, I continued up the shoulder of Tarmangie Hill (much less steep than the descent!!) and was soon on the ridge, following wall and fenceposts to the summit.

It was quite windy…

Potential next target; Innerdownie

Looking back to King’s Seat Hill and smoking chimneys in the background

Ahh that’s better – windfarms!!

From here I could follow the ridge to Whitewisp Hill and down. But according to the map I could also go out to Innerdownie and descend to the reservoir... deciding to walk to Whitewisp and decide, off I went. I bumped into a guy out running here, trying to get fit. If he was running around the Ochills he'd already managed that :lol: we parted ways and it was a quick march to Whitewisp Hill. From here Innerdownie looked a fair distance but not a difficult walk....why not?!

Back to Tarmangie from Whitewisp

Off I went, sloshing through more bog and over a giant stile. The path was obvious alongside the wall and the views were great, although I could see clag topping the higher hills in the distance. If seemed I had made a good choice today!

Go home Christmas trees, you’re drunk :lol:

Ochills and beautiful, planet-cleansing windfarms

Finally reaching Innerdownie it was sandwich time. A quick lunch stop as it was pretty windy!

Glenquey Reservoir, my next target

The route down was simple, I followed a path which branched off from the outward route and led downwards to the reservoir. After a wee bit of off-roading to cut off a corner I reached the track.

From here it was just a long walk back to Dollar. Although as it had turned into a beautiful day this was no chore.

What would have been my route down

I arrived back into civilisation near the castle - lots of people :shock: a bit of a shock after meeting so few since Kings Seat :lol:

Castle Campbell

An easy stroll back down the road to the car and a relatively short and easy drive home. Knee felt good, I felt good. Donalds are great :thumbup: :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Winging it in the Ochills

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Nice one Jackie, did I spy your ice axe attached to your rucksack?

I really enjoyed the Ochils and your adventure reminds me I should really return :lol:

I think your route is very similar to the one I used, the views to the north and south are worth the effort :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:15 pm

That looks like a nice wee round - thank for posting!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Jackie, did I spy your ice axe attached to your rucksack?

I really enjoyed the Ochils and your adventure reminds me I should really return :lol:

I think your route is very similar to the one I used, the views to the north and south are worth the effort :wink:

Yes - I think the ice axe was overkill :lol: :lol: but i felt kind of undressed without it so it came along for the ride. Left the crampons behind though :lol:
Great wee hills eh, you can just keep walking and never end up too far from where you started :wink:

jmarkb wrote:That looks like a nice wee round - thank for posting!

It turned out quite well in the end, I like days where you can make it up as you go along :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Knuckledragger » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Jax - I live on the steep road up to the Dollar Glen car park - you could have dropped in for a cuppa!

The Ochils are wonderful little hills - dramatic ravines, but nice easy walking (and obviously very accessible for me!)

Winter skills refresher from Glenmore lodge this weekend for me!
Knuckledragger
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   
Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:80   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Knuckledragger wrote:Hi Jax - I live on the steep road up to the Dollar Glen car park - you could have dropped in for a cuppa!

The Ochils are wonderful little hills - dramatic ravines, but nice easy walking (and obviously very accessible for me!)

Winter skills refresher from Glenmore lodge this weekend for me!

Aww no way!! Next time I'll give you a shout!! They are great wee hills tho, lucky you having them right on your doorstep :D :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby apollo0815 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Jaxter wrote:a couple had coats on their dogs :shock: is this normal?!

That depends on the kind of dog and some other factors.

We took in a dog which originally came from an animal asylum in southern Italy, she has nearly no dense fur coat, so it is sometimes necessary to get a coat on her if it is very cold and if we are out for longer walks.

Another possibility: Some kinds of dogs, like Cocker spaniels for example tend to collect snowballs with their fur coat. Then it can be easier to wrap them tightly in some overalls ,too.
Just search for "snow cocker spaniel" on google and you will see some examples.

Cheers

Andreas
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby LoveWalking » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 pm

I love a day out in the Ochils. That looks like a nice route for next time, thanks for posting.
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland