walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart finish

Knoydart finish

Postby Benaden887 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Aden, Sgùrr a' Choire-bheithe

Fionas included on this walk: Slat Bheinn

Date walked: 12/06/2009

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 2340m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

12th June 2009 Knoydart. 26km 2340m Moving 12hrs.
So here I am at the top end of loch Quoich having traveled up glen Garry for my final Corbett of Sgurr a` Choire -bheithe
It`s a solo trek as I couldn`t see many wishing to do it with me.
I had swithered earlier in the day before taking the decision to go thus didn`t arrive here until 3pm, still 6+hrs should cover it. The day, warm and dry, I pack my gear and as an afterthought, the bivvy bag. From the long parking space @ Loch a` Choire bheithe I head S, cross the Caolie water, ridge above, then down to the N shores of loch Quoich. The long line of mountain tops that surround this dammed loch, I`ve bin there. A long dry spell has seen the Quoich shrink in size and on the way home I will see remains of the old lodge beneath its waters. The going dry, a broad foreshore, marks the extent of evaporation, an easy crossing of the Abhain Chosaidh opens up other possibility. Ahead, the lure of Ben Aden. Having climbed it from glen Dessarry via Sgurr nan Ciche, odds are I may never be this way again, so cut a stick etc. A good track now hugs the shoreline, easier walking. 3hrs to do 10km/ 500m - I cross two small dams, built here to ensure the loch`s waters do not escape westward and reach the sandy bay of Lochan nam Breac for a short break. Temptation is to rest up here, but with a some hours of daylight left, the bagger in me takes the NE ridge to a stony boulder top of Ben Aden. Stunning views of Knoydart, lochs Nevis and Hourn, et all. Satisfied, I drop down the steep N side to the lochan, cross a burn and as the light fades follow the Mam Unndalain path up to a bealach. The glen below now in darkness, I find a spot to lie, eat and drink then climb into my bivvy bag. During the night a clatter of deer pass, come 5am I`m up and away - for Choire beithe`s top some 60 minutes later. Another chapter closed in my book. Great views over loch Hourn. Descend the NE ridge Intending to cross the Sgurr nan Eugallt ridge for the road, then drawn by its lochan, I climb Slat bheinn and look SE into a treeless Barrisdale forest. A decent path beside the Chosaidh river takes me instead back to the loch where I walk the NE fore shore to find and cross the remains of a concrete base road laid to transport materials for the western dams. This leads to the road and my transport home.
The Quoich dam when built, was the largest rock filled dam of its kind.
The flooding of the glen covered the lodge which having been added too by the various owners, became in its glory days a sporting venue for the rich and famous, notably Edward VII and painter Edwin Lanseer both stayed here indeed the “Monarch of the glen” famous red stag it`s said was have been painted here.
Seen enroute birds deer two swimming the loch Eagles but no folk.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: Knoydart finish

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 am

Looks like a great route... No pics??? (some of us are still in the picture book phase of reading...)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 am

Congratulations on completing the Corbetts. I guess you are right, but about nobody wanting to come too, but it s very hard being disciplined enough to leave e.g. Beinn Vrackie for a party. I see you are a good way towards the Grahams. Will they come next?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like a great route... No pics??? (some of us are still in the picture book phase of reading...)

No pics, sorry
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Walk wish-list

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Sgurr wrote:Congratulations on completing the Corbetts. I guess you are right, but about nobody wanting to come too, but it s very hard being disciplined enough to leave e.g. Beinn Vrackie for a party. I see you are a good way towards the Grahams. Will they come next?

Working my way thro them, but to finish, who knows ?
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Walk wish-list

Postby rohan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 pm

It`s a solo trek as I couldn`t see many wishing to do it with me

The joy of walking alone and being able to change your plans and take in a couple of extra hills and an overnight bivvy.
Belated congratulations on your Corbett compleation.
rohan

Postby Benaden887 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:21 pm

rohan wrote:
It`s a solo trek as I couldn`t see many wishing to do it with me

The joy of walking alone and being able to change your plans and take in a couple of extra hills and an overnight bivvy.
Belated congratulations on your Corbett compleation.

I coudn`t agree more.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland