walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Drones

Drones

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:16 am

Do people have views on these in the hills?

I'm noticing them more and more and more when I'm out.

I have to say I do find them a bit of an intrusion when they are flying above you, but I suppose it is no different to being in the background of someone's photo.

What really annoyed me recently was the noise of the thing on an otherwise windless silent day on the summit. I do think it's a bit off to be flying a motorised machine around people trying to get a bit of peace.

All that said I'm have really enjoyed seeing some of the footage we get from them.

I wonder if it is just something we will all get used over time or if they are just a bit of a fad?

Reading Hamish's mountain walk and other contemporary books I was struck by condemnation of brightly coloured tents and even jackets as visually despoiling the landscape. That still does seem fairly ridiculous to me and maybe moaning about the odd drone buzzing overhead will seem ridiculous to a new generation of walkers.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: Drones

Postby Duggie12 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:18 am

Hate them nearly as much as self sticks.
Duggie12
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby Red Peak » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:16 pm

I've yet to come across anyone using them on the hills, but the few I've seen being used on the beach have been fairly quiet. I think there's still a novelty value to them at the moment, but as they become more commonplace, they'll probably become more annoying.

It's clear they do have their uses, though. The video footage they provide is breathtaking - check out Danny Macaskill's 'The Ridge' video as a prime example. And although not mountain-related, they can be invaluable for surveying possible damage, erosion, etc. to tall buildings and structures.

But I think I'll wait to see how abundant they become on the hills before condemning them for such a use. Besides, it would be mean-spirited to berate someone who's using one to video a friend's approach to the summit of their final Munro :D
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:13 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:Reading Hamish's mountain walk and other contemporary books I was struck by condemnation of brightly coloured tents and even jackets as visually despoiling the landscape. That still does seem fairly ridiculous to me and maybe moaning about the odd drone buzzing overhead will seem ridiculous to a new generation of walkers.

LOL, the old "the wilds should be open to everyone providing none of them are around when I'm there".
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby brother52 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Only ever seen them once. Took me a while to realise what "the - sound - of - a - million - bees" actually was. Turned out I met the guy flying it on the way down and it was the guy who runs the 'Munro Drone' website. His films are pretty cool, so I didnt mind being in one!
brother52

Munros:74   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Have never yet met anyone with a drone (but then I don't meet many people on the hills these days anyway). Don't have any strong views either way - just as long as they're being used safely and not causing a public nuisance. Must admit that I'm a bit old school though - looking at the occasional video is fine but I still prefer looking at photos. Don't think I'd like to have to carry a drone plus power pack etc up a hill - might be wrong but I'd guess it would be heavy ?

Mind you, if I could get a drone big enough to carry me up the hills :eh: :silent: :think: :wink: well then I might have a different view :wink: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby brother52 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 am

rockhopper wrote:Have never yet met anyone with a drone (but then I don't meet many people on the hills these days anyway). Don't have any strong views either way - just as long as they're being used safely and not causing a public nuisance. Must admit that I'm a bit old school though - looking at the occasional video is fine but I still prefer looking at photos. Don't think I'd like to have to carry a drone plus power pack etc up a hill - might be wrong but I'd guess it would be heavy ?

Mind you, if I could get a drone big enough to carry me up the hills :eh: :silent: :think: :wink: well then I might have a different view :wink: :wink: - cheers :)

Dont know how long the battery lasts, maybe they fly it up to a level and land it til they walk up there and repeat until they are at the summit. Would need to do the same back down though. Think Munroe Drones will be quite heavy as its a professional bit of kit.
brother52

Munros:74   

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:36 am

Drones? Whatever next :roll: . ever actually been spied on with these "toys2. Although I doubt I would be pleased :D .

It's bad enough when you are on top of a mountain sat there in tranquil contemplation. Then plonkers arrive and find it necessary to phone everbody they know up to tell them what a nice day I am having :lol: :lol: . using the phone as megaphone so that everyone within 20 miles can hear their conversation :roll: . Or are they just on an ego trip to let other nearby how well they've done.

Not too bad in Scotland but the Lakes a nightmare. But will get worse no doubt especially when a phone mast is erected in Glen Etive :wink: :wink: :wink:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:39 am

What happen there? previous post gone haywire!
crfishwick

Postby Boulderdash » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Think they could have their uses. Lost dogs, livestock, deer surveys, SSSI`s etc where you don`t want feet tramping over everything. Never used one so not too sure of capabilities. Battery life and technology likely to improve though.
Here to stay I suppose.
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Back to my old terror of being caught on video defecating behind a rock in the middle of nowhere. I was once buzzed by one in Glen Etive. Well, not really buzzed, just that I was there when one flew about. I find them annoying but I quite fancy having one myself. Also they must be brilliantly effective, given the right conditions, for searching for people lost in the hills.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Back to my old terror of being caught on video defecating behind a rock in the middle of nowhere. I was once buzzed by one in Glen Etive. Well, not really buzzed, just that I was there when one flew about. I find them annoying but I quite fancy having one myself. Also they must be brilliantly effective, given the right conditions, for searching for people lost in the hills.

Yes they have there place but need more regulating. Too many incidents happening with all and sundry using them. Next stop getting your Amazon orders delivered by Drone :crazy: . I wonder if there will be an outcry then :D
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:27 pm

The way some parts of mountains, even walking tracks, are covered in poop with toilet tissues throw about I think we can do with more drone-based poop shaming.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby malky_c » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:28 pm

This website appears to be new:
http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

But it has the same guidance as the Civil Aviation Authority website used to have in relation to regulations. I suspect the bit where many people fall foul is by flying within 50m of people. Rarely seen them myself, but them like Rockhopper, I hardly ever see anyone on the hills anyway.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:59 pm

malky_c wrote:This website appears to be new:
http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

But it has the same guidance as the Civil Aviation Authority website used to have in relation to regulations. I suspect the bit where many people fall foul is by flying within 50m of people. Rarely seen them myself, but them like Rockhopper, I hardly ever see anyone on the hills anyway.

Quite correct although Doon South they are having real problems. Amateurs who ignore the rules!
crfishwick

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion