walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grisedale round from Patterdale.

Grisedale round from Patterdale.

Postby mamoset » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arnison Crag, Birkhouse Moor, Birks, Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1700m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A free Saturday and good forecast made my mind up to head over to the Lakes and walk a Grisedale round. Parked at the old school and was off just on first light. Headed up Arnison Crag first. Under foot was nicely frozen, so good time was made to the summit.
IMG_9859.JPG
Arnison Crag summit.
Headed next for Birks, going round Trough Head, before locating the ascent path.
IMG_9867.JPG
First light on Helvellyn from Birks.
IMG_9872.JPG
Birks summit looking to St. Sunday Crag.
A cold wind picked up here, so I headed quickly on, taking the edge path of St. Sunday Crag before hitting the summit.
IMG_9880.JPG
St. Sunday Crag summit looking to a distant Crinkle Crags & Bowfell.
I decided to miss out Fairfield, and dropped off Deepdale Hause, skirting Fairfield and heading to Seat Sandal via Grisedale Hause.
IMG_9888.JPG
Seat Sandal & Grisedale Tarn.
IMG_9894.JPG
St. Sunday Crag & Fairfield.
IMG_9895.JPG
Seat Sandal summit.
After a bite to eat, I left Seat Sandal and set off on the long climb which would take me to Helvellyn. Looking North, the views were lovely and clear, but there was a bank of cloud moving up from the South, making it a bit hazy.
IMG_9901.JPG
SW to the Conistons.
IMG_9906.JPG
Skiddaw.
First stop on the ascent is Dollywagon Pike. Unfortunately, there was a large group hanging round the cairn, so I pushed on, heading over High Crag, making for Nethermost Pike.
IMG_9923.JPG
Looking down Grisedale from High Crag.
IMG_9924.JPG
St. Sunday & Far Eastern fells.
IMG_9938.JPG
Nethermost Pike summit.
The amount of people milling around was unbelievable. There was queues of walkers on Striding Edge, the cross shelter was full to bursting and there was groups sat around chatting. :shock: I managed to push in to the summit of Helvellyn, and after a quick photo, headed for Striding Edge before that became too congested!!! :lol:
IMG_9940.JPG
Looking up Wyth Burn, Crinkle Crags to Great End in view.
IMG_9941.JPG
Great Gable to Pillar.
IMG_9942.JPG
Whiteless Pike to Grisedale Pike.
IMG_9943.JPG
High Stile & Dale Head ranges.
IMG_9946.JPG
Conistons!!!
IMG_9958.JPG
Helvellyn summit.
IMG_9964.JPG
Red Tarn & Striding Edge, Birkhouse Moor beyond.
With Striding Edge easily negotiated, I had another break, before finishing the days tops on Birkhouse Moor.
IMG_9986.JPG
Birkhouse Moor summit.
I went back to the Hole-in-the-Wall and followed the path down to Grisedale.
IMG_9992.JPG
The path down to Grisedale.
The frost was still persisting in the valley, so it was quite cool as I made my way back to the car, happy after a great day out. :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Grisedale round from Patterdale.

Postby trailmasher » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Damned decent effort there mamoset :clap: :clap: and apart from the mob on Helvellyn and Dolly Wagon a great day out with great pictures and excellent weather to help you achieve it all 8) :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I did a very similar route on the same day, and many of my pics are virtually identical to yours!!! I thought for a moment that I was looking at my own pics!!!. We only diverged after Helvellyn. I wonder what your timing was, that we didn't meet? I left Glenridding at 7.55....

But wasn't it just such a fantastic day?? I to spend more time snapping that walking!

The thing that really amazed me - apart from the sensational Ullswater views in drifting mist right at the start - was the unbelievable number of fell runners :roll: :roll: :roll: I reckon I must have encountered over 150 people, and at least HALF were fell runners!!! And an astonishing number wearing only shorts (as you know, it was incredibly cold in wind-exposed places). Is fell running the new computer game...??? If so, it's got to be a good thing...

One of the runners said he'd also spent more time snapping than running....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mamoset » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 am

trailmasher wrote:Damned decent effort there mamoset :clap: :clap: and apart from the mob on Helvellyn and Dolly Wagon a great day out with great pictures and excellent weather to help you achieve it all 8) :clap:
hi tm, correct on all counts :lol: though shouldn't bemoan the mobs, after all, I was part of it :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:I did a very similar route on the same day, and many of my pics are virtually identical to yours!!! I thought for a moment that I was looking at my own pics!!!. We only diverged after Helvellyn. I wonder what your timing was, that we didn't meet? I left Glenridding at 7.55....

But wasn't it just such a fantastic day?? I to spend more time snapping that walking!

The thing that really amazed me - apart from the sensational Ullswater views in drifting mist right at the start - was the unbelievable number of fell runners :roll: :roll: :roll: I reckon I must have encountered over 150 people, and at least HALF were fell runners!!! And an astonishing number wearing only shorts (as you know, it was incredibly cold in wind-exposed places). Is fell running the new computer game...??? If so, it's got to be a good thing...

One of the runners said he'd also spent more time snapping than running....

hey alte, I left Patterdale @ 0740 so was just ahead of you. I know what you mean about fell runners, it seems to be the next big thing, though I think i'll stick to ambling about, too much snot on the go when you're running :shock: . It was a fine day to be out, glad I chose Helvellyn, views were just never ending :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby martin.h » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Wow! what a fantastic day out, the views you had were fantastic, as are the photo's.
We're hoping to get to the Lakes again this coming weekend, fingers crossed for similar conditions. :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby mamoset » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:53 pm

martin.h wrote:Wow! what a fantastic day out, the views you had were fantastic, as are the photo's.
We're hoping to get to the Lakes again this coming weekend, fingers crossed for similar conditions. :D
Cheers.

Thanks martin, hope you do get the weather, can't beat it :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Great report of a great walk mamoset - St Sunday Crag and Striding Edge make a fine combo. Some superb shots there. That was a wonderful day to be out on the fells! :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 am

That's a good distance Mamoset with some graft in it too :clap: Such lovely photos all the way through. You must have had an early start by the look of things. I guess you're right about the crowds, it's like moaning about traffic when you are sat in it :lol: Still, there's a lot to be said for the solitude of the hills when you can get it :wink:

Great stuff as always :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 am

ChrisW wrote:That's a good distance Mamoset with some graft in it too :clap: Such lovely photos all the way through. You must have had an early start by the look of things. I guess you're right about the crowds, it's like moaning about traffic when you are sat in it :lol: Still, there's a lot to be said for the solitude of the hills when you can get it :wink:

Great stuff as always :clap: :clap:

Hey Chris, cheers for that, the early starts are par for the course nowadays :D agree with the traffic analogy :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby great_gable » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:09 pm

great report love the clouds photo on Crinkle Crags and Bowfell
great_gable
Mountaineer

Munros:7   
Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:76   

Postby mamoset » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:04 pm

great_gable wrote:great report love the clouds photo on Crinkle Crags and Bowfell

Cheers gg :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland