walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A fine line between pleasure and pain…

A fine line between pleasure and pain…

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:45 am

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 13/11/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 1265m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Waking up after 6h sleep isn’t nice, but the realization that I was camping in Glen Etive at the foot of my favourite mountains always puts a smile on my face. Being nice and warm also helped, but convincing myself to get up after having spend the previous night at the ceilidh with the Lomond Mountaineering club and not getting to my bed until well past 1 am was another topic :shock:

Opening my tent and being greeted by a bunch of clouds around Creise, I crawled outside to check Buachaille towards the back of my tent and saw even more clouds….ah time for another wee snooze. Half an hour later I managed to drag myself outside my toasty warm sleeping bag. I walked down the burn for a wash (a sure way to wake up as I haven’t found the hot water switch so far) and when I got back and looked in my wee mirror, I was greeting with wild hair and was glad I was alone with no other campers to scare away hehe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting ready I put my tent away, had a bowl of cold porridge in the car (far too lazy to cook) and drove towards Glencoe to walk up Sgor na h-Ulaidh.

I had spend the previous Friday studying the map and I had marked out the path I wanted to take (easy task from a compfy sofa) In my defence I never learned to read a map properly and until Sunday, I didn’t do that bad.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked my car and walked across the road, climbed over the fence and walked a faint path towards Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne. The path wasn’t in the book, but I guessed that it was a recently added one, as it made sense and skipped the walk along the road to the landrover path.
Copy of Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 048.jpg
The path and the wee hill to climb up

My plan had been to ignore all paths and walk up the mountain - face on. When I checked the map and saw the mountain in front of me a few f… words :wtf: where in my vocabulary…it was sooo steep !!! I had 2 choices…either ignore my plan and do the ‘normal’ route or drag my complaining brain up the path I decided on.
Willpower and stubbornness made me stick to the plan. It didn’t make any sense as the non existing path looked anything but inviting and being tired and a wee bit grumpy I did the only thing left to do…put my ipod on and cranked up the music. Battering my path through heather I walked on, huffing and puffing and cursing myself. In between all of this I managed to sing along- loudly and probably scaring the living daylight out of the sheep on the way, as my singing can only be compared of that to a goose farting in the fog :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 054.jpg
Half way up

Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 057.jpg
Looking down the gully I came up

Copy of Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 053.jpg
I want that rock in my garden -can anyone fetch that for me please?

When an old Devinals song came on and the lyrics were ‘there is a fine line between pleasure and pain’ I decided that I was definitely in far more pain than pleasure at the moment! Neverless I continued to sing along and when I reached the cliff face, half way up, my mood was indeed getting better and the next dance song had me throwing my arms up in the air and dancing along on a wee ledge…I was hoping no one was watching me from the bottom- there is definitely an advantage of walking alone! :D
But anything helps and I managed to reach the top of Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne after 2h.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 060.jpg

Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 067.jpg
The wee loch on top of Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne

I collapsed on the ground and had some juice and a bite to eat before I continued. When I finally got to see Sgor na h-Ulaidh I could not have been more de-motivated as it looked miles away. I guess tiredness from not enough sleep and the previous 2h uphill also played a part.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 066.jpg

I pushed myself to carry on and decided that after all I rather liked the hill I just climbed…the views around were stunning and making up your own path does always feels special.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 061.jpg

Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 099.jpg

The walk to Sgor na h-Ulaidh was a constant up and down and when I finally reached the cairn I had to admit that Sgor na h-Ulaidh is definitely one of my least favourite mountains…I simply didn’t like it.
Deciding to get back down as soon as possible I managed to miss the path I walked up and had to climb down a rather steep bit which was horrible.
Horrible was also the walk down the grassy slope. I did walk along the whole side of Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne. The mountain just didn’t seem to end and by that I was utterly fed up and tired.
Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 100.jpg

I passed a couple (at least I wasn’t as slow as I thought) and finally manage to reach the landrover path after 6 long hours.

Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Stob na Broige 101.jpg

By the time I was back at my car, I was ready to kiss it and decided that 2 weekends walking both days was enough and that I would swap next weekend paths to pavements preferably with shops on either side :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: A fine line between pleasure and pain…

Postby kevsbald » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

Lovely. Good luck with the shoapin next week.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 am

An entertaining report as ever. The next time I'm out myself I think I'll take my ipod but I'll probably stop short of singing :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dooterbang » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 am

6 hours isn't long :shock:

That dancing the night before must have taken its toll :)

Amusingly bonkers report as usual - remember me that if i walk with you to bring my industrial strenght earplugs :lol:

Sgurr na Ulaidh is ok from Glen Etive as you can take a route up which is pathless.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Lovely. Good luck with the shoapin next week.

Many thanks Kev!

An entertaining report as ever. The next time I'm out myself I think I'll take my ipod but I'll probably stop short of singing :D

Thank you Fudgie...an ipod can be your best friend when solo walking :D

6 hours isn't long :shock:
That dancing the night before must have taken its toll :)
Amusingly bonkers report as usual - remember me that if i walk with you to bring my industrial strenght earplugs :lol:
Sgurr na Ulaidh is ok from Glen Etive as you can take a route up which is pathless.

If you are fed up after 2h 6 h can be veeeery long :D Lol luckily not many people heard me sing...not that anyone wants to go through that experience (I guess the sheep are still traumatized) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Avocetboy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Cracking report, Mountainlove, but let down by one startling error........................it's DIVINYLS!!!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Another super report ML- loved it :D

Glad you didn't go for your original plans this weekend, was a wee bit worried about you. :)

That's you had your hill-fix for another wee while, now get out to those shops, the British economy needs you!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mgmt! » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 pm

yeh blame the lomond mc ceilidh why dont you !! wouldnt be anything to do with that chocolate cake and cream you were scoffing ?. and you said you were thinking of taking in beinn fhionnlaidh ?? woose !!! should have had another bowl of porridge that would have sorted you out.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mountaineagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Well done to sticking to your plan, even if it was hard going. I am sure you will look back at this trip with good memories. :D
mountaineagle

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:59 pm

my singing can only be compared of that to a goose farting in the fog

I was on top of a pretty busy wee bookil at the same time that you were out and about Maja, and could clearly hear something competing with the noise of the helicopter hovering above the hills. Notwithstanding banshee ballads, a great Walk Report, great pics and a great adventure...slightly mad :) ....but a great adventure
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Avocetboy wrote:Cracking report, Mountainlove, but let down by one startling error........................it's DIVINYLS!!!

Ups :shock: you are right :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Another super report ML- loved it :D
Glad you didn't go for your original plans this weekend, was a wee bit worried about you. :)
That's you had your hill-fix for another wee while, now get out to those shops, the British economy needs you!!! :lol:

Many thanks :D Well I am glad I didnt do the 2...looked slightly different when I was up there and I blaimed the early darkness (my excuse anyway) :lol: Just need to try to stay away from outdoor shops...too dangerous lol

mgmt! wrote:yeh blame the lomond mc ceilidh why dont you !! wouldnt be anything to do with that chocolate cake and cream you were scoffing ?. and you said you were thinking of taking in beinn fhionnlaidh ?? woose !!! should have had another bowl of porridge that would have sorted you out.

When you hike alone you need something to blame :lol: and how can I blaim delicious cake? ;-)

mountaineagle wrote:Well done to sticking to your plan, even if it was hard going. I am sure you will look back at this trip with good memories. :D

Yeah the first part was well worth it!!! :lol:

Scotjamie wrote:
my singing can only be compared of that to a goose farting in the fog

I was on top of a pretty busy wee bookil at the same time that you were out and about Maja, and could clearly hear something competing with the noise of the helicopter hovering above the hills. Notwithstanding banshee ballads, a great Walk Report, great pics and a great adventure...slightly mad :) ....but a great adventure

You just have to cheer up those poor souls in distress :D ...well if thats what the helocopter was doing? Me slightly mad... :lol: never (ok sometimes :D )
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Nice report Mountainlove.
Its always that bit harder when you make your own tracks. :D Love the square stone. Good effort. :D
monty

Postby macq23 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Great report....but I LOVE that photo with the the hill and clouds making it look like an active volcano!
Looking at the map, I'm thinking the hill is Sgorr Dhearg? Such a great photo :clap:
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:16 pm

macq23 wrote:Great report....but I LOVE that photo with the the hill and clouds making it look like an active volcano!
Looking at the map, I'm thinking the hill is Sgorr Dhearg? Such a great photo :clap:

Indeed - the Beinn a'Bheithir Munros across the unmistakable pyramid of Sgor a'Choise. I have Ulaidh pencilled in for a week on Saturday, also by the purist route up the Aonach Dubh a'Ghlinne. At one point I believe there is over 500m of height gain in less than 1km! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby macq23 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 am

Graeme D wrote:Indeed - the Beinn a'Bheithir Munros across the unmistakable pyramid of Sgor a'Choise. I have Ulaidh pencilled in for a week on Saturday, also by the purist route up the Aonach Dubh a'Ghlinne. At one point I believe there is over 500m of height gain in less than 1km! :crazy:

:shock: wow that is pretty crazy! Good luck with that :thumbup:
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland