walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hardcore Grahams earn a wonderful Loch Lomond sunset

Hardcore Grahams earn a wonderful Loch Lomond sunset

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 4.45 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1036m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A perfect forecast emerged for Saturday, so obviously I was working :( however it wasn't all bad as I was able to leave Helensburgh at 12 and drive up to Glen Douglas where there were a tempting pair of Grahams that looked like a nice afternoon walk. The oil light on my car came on approaching Helensburgh :shock: which made me think I really ought to carry a bit of spare in the car...but also that an extra 20 miles wasn't going to make that much difference (those who know about cars may disagree...) :lol:

The road up to Glen Douglas was initially very steep and bendy and the views just kept getting better. Arriving at the layby I was greeted by the sight of my first target emerging from the inversion...

...and also a collection of about 6 people singing and playing music! Not quite what you expect but it was interesting. I've no idea who they were or why, but they climbed back into a camper van and drove off as I was putting my boots on :crazy:

I was attempting to follow something along the lines of this route, so headed along the road past the houses and found a signposted path to Tullich Hill. I say path, but it was very sloppy and before long I was up past my ankles in mud and gloop :shock:

Reaching a stile over the fence I lost some layers as it was absolutely roasting, and hoped that conditions underfoot would improve. They didn't :lol: I was now into sticky mud and having to cross what looked like drainage channels. It was slippery and sticky and hard work. It was also pretty steep and rumours of a path at all lies!!!

But the views behind were stunning :D

If did get better though. Once out of the mud it becomes grassy underfoot, and despite being steep it's possible to pick a route. I saw a couple of people ahead of me wandering around below a fence before climbing it. Assuming this meant that there was no way across I followed suit. It was a very high fence and I am quite short so this wasn't easy :lol:

Safely across I picked up a vague path which became more distinct as I climbed higher. Overtaking the couple near the top, we discussed the insane temperature, brutal climb and other things before I continued. Coming over the top I was greeted by the most incredible view! My first thought was "that hill looks amazing" before realising what it was. It's a slightly different angle to the normal view I think, or perhaps I'm just an idiot. Either way it was stunning.

Balance not good…. :lol:

Looking towards Loch Long

Ben Lomond with a touch of the inversion left

Summit cairn and Cobbler Narnain, Ime & Vane behind

I snapped away and enjoyed the summit for a bit. But if was chilly and I needed to get a move on if I was going to complete the circuit. The couple arrived just as I was leaving so I left them to enjoy the views. Following a bearing, I visited a pointy rock for more views before heading down a craggy shoulder towards the An t-Sreang. As this was north facing it was still frosty, a stark contrast the heat of the ascent. If was pretty steep but I was able to work my way around crags.

The valley framed the Cobbler again

What was now before me was a 300m pathless climb up to Ben Reoch. So off I went, zigzagging my way slowly upwards. It was easy enough to find a route and although steep I managed to get into a rhythm and before long it was a short trek left to the summit. Not a "tickable" summit but a great viewpoint anyway :thumbup:

From here I could see the long ridge to Beinn Bhreac. A fair distance but not much ascent. I decided to add a wee bit more by popping over a viewpoint - a wee extra summit of Ben Reoch marked by a 632m spot which probably had better views than the summit itself.

Off I went towards my final summit. I could see a path leading towards the summit so picked this up and it was a nice wee wander to the top.

On my way I passed by this giant crack :shock: No idea what it’s all about but wouldn’t like to get stuck doon there :lol:

Climbing up to the trig point the views were just incredible. The inversion from the morning was still in the valley, so I hadn't completely missed out!

Down Loch Lomond

Back towards Ben Reoch and the Cobbler massif behind

Towards Doune Hill and Cruach an t-Sidhein

Snapping away I realised that I hadn't eaten anything. This always happens on the hills but somehow never when I'm working or at home :lol: There was a cold wind so I hid behind the trig point and ate my lunch at just after 3.30 and enjoyed the views.

It had taken me just under 3 hours to here, so in terms of time I was well on target. Looking at my watch and the sky I realised that sunset wasn't far away. It was likely to be a good one so worth staying up! Checking my head torch was in my pack, I added layers and hunkered down to wait.

The cloud was returning…

The sun had set and it was time to go. I reckoned it could take me 45 mins to get down, so if was going to be getting gloomy.

Looking back to the trig point

Cobbler in the evening light

The Luss massif

Starting to get pretty dim now

Cloud rolling up the valley

It actually took me closer to an hour and by the time I had slipped and slid and bog-hopped my way downwards I was very relieved to hop over a fence and hit the road :lol: totally worth it though :thumbup: It was a careful drive back to Glasgow with the ominous warning light. Topped it up and it went off so here's hoping :lol:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Hardcore Grahams earn a wonderful Loch Lomond sunset

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 am

Some wonderful views there, Jaxter. Just shows that you don't need to go especially high to get them! I love the pics of The Cobbler :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:03 am

Great pictures Jaxter. What a cracking day. Its a longer trek for me to get down there but some great hills and I try and get an overnighter down by Loch Lomond as often as I can. :D
PS. Hope your car survives.
Sunset tripper

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Those skies are just amazing. What good weather we've been having! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

Alteknacker wrote:Some wonderful views there, Jaxter. Just shows that you don't need to go especially high to get them! I love the pics of The Cobbler :clap: :clap:

Thanks - it totally bowled me over when I saw it! :D Wee hills are awesome :thumbup:

Sunset tripper wrote:Great pictures Jaxter. What a cracking day. Its a longer trek for me to get down there but some great hills and I try and get an overnighter down by Loch Lomond as often as I can. :D
PS. Hope your car survives.

Thanks - it was fantastic. Sad to miss the inversion but reckon I made up for it :lol: Car finally in for service so here's hoping :shock: :shock:

dogplodder wrote:Those skies are just amazing. What good weather we've been having! :D

It was fantastic! Don't mind there being nae snow when you get a day like that :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:28 am

Lovely pics! Glad you made it out - it was a lovely day for the hills.

Jaxter wrote:On my way I passed by this giant crack :shock: No idea what it’s all about but wouldn’t like to get stuck doon there :lol:

These are mostly due to post-glacial landslips - as the glaciers melted, the hillsides were no longer supported and partially collapsed. Not all of them have such obvious crevasses, often there are just odd dips and hollows in the hillside. The Arrochar-Luss area has one of the highest concentrations of these features in Scotland - see here for a guide: http://geologyglasgow.org.uk/docs/017_283__arrocharalps_total_1383576245.pdf
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Looks like a glorious afternoon, the more I see the more I'm starting to appreciate the value of smaller hills :) Those views are fantastic, and the sunset.... :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby katyhills » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 pm

The views are even better when there's some snow..... :D

DSCF1589 (640x480).jpg

DSCF1657 (640x480).jpg

DSCF1582 (640x408).jpg

Glad you had a good day on these 'little ' hills. They make great outings in winter :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am

jmarkb wrote:Lovely pics! Glad you made it out - it was a lovely day for the hills.

Jaxter wrote:On my way I passed by this giant crack :shock: No idea what it’s all about but wouldn’t like to get stuck doon there :lol:

These are mostly due to post-glacial landslips - as the glaciers melted, the hillsides were no longer supported and partially collapsed. Not all of them have such obvious crevasses, often there are just odd dips and hollows in the hillside. The Arrochar-Luss area has one of the highest concentrations of these features in Scotland - see here for a guide: http://geologyglasgow.org.uk/docs/017_283__arrocharalps_total_1383576245.pdf

Ah that makes a lot more sense then. I didn't see any others but I guess there must be more. Thanks for the intel :thumbup:

BobMcBob wrote:Looks like a glorious afternoon, the more I see the more I'm starting to appreciate the value of smaller hills :) Those views are fantastic, and the sunset.... :clap:

Thankyou - yes small hills in the right place...perfect :thumbup:

katyhills wrote:The views are even better when there's some snow..... :D

Glad you had a good day on these 'little ' hills. They make great outings in winter :)

Ooh look, an excuse to go back :D :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:43 am

Excellent report and some wonderful photos, especially those sunset ones with a wee inversion developing over Loch Lomond :clap:

Bet you're glad you got your camera back for conditions like that!

How's your knee holding up now?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:35 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Excellent report and some wonderful photos, especially those sunset ones with a wee inversion developing over Loch Lomond :clap:

Bet you're glad you got your camera back for conditions like that!

How's your knee holding up now?

Thankyou - yes I was glad to have it back, although gutted I didn't have it for Skye. Still, an excuse to go back :lol:

Knee is slowly on the mend I think...I hope anyway. Thanks :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Great report, stunning photos and sunset views.

Where on earth has all the snow gone this year?....
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Jaxter wrote:Thankyou - yes I was glad to have it back, although gutted I didn't have it for Skye. Still, an excuse to go back :lol:

Good to hear. Mine seems to have survived, just :lol:

There's no such thing as a poor excuse to go back to Skye :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great report, stunning photos and sunset views.

I know right....ah it'll be back. In June.... :lol: :lol:

jupe1407 wrote:
Jaxter wrote:Thankyou - yes I was glad to have it back, although gutted I didn't have it for Skye. Still, an excuse to go back :lol:

That's excellent new - what a pair of crocks eh :lol: :lol:

Aww I know, just give me a long enough window and good weather and I'll be there :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Jaxter wrote:
HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great report, stunning photos and sunset views.

I know right....ah it'll be back. In June.... :lol: :lol:

jupe1407 wrote:

That's excellent new - what a pair of crocks eh :lol: :lol:

Aww I know, just give me a long enough window and good weather and I'll be there :wink:

I have my first ever walking week in Skye coming up in a couple of months... can't wait to see the Cuillin close up for the first time!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland