walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arnison Crag and Place Fell, turning red to blue.

Arnison Crag and Place Fell, turning red to blue.

Postby martin.h » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arnison Crag, Place Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Place Fell

Date walked: 14/01/2017

Time taken: 4

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 860m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A gentle start to our 2017 Wainwright collecting campaign, the weather was really good to us which added to the relaxed and steady mood we were hoping for.

Away from home early to get ahead of the traffic and avoid any hold-ups in the road works around Manchester. We arrived in Patterdale at 9.30 and managed to get one of the few remaining spaces in the car park, just goes to show how popular the Lakes are.

Arnison Crag was our first target, we headed out of the car park towards the White Lion pub, opposite the pub there's a track running between some cottages and public loos, we went up this heading towards Glenamara Park. A bit further on there's a foot bridge then a gate in a wall, through this and continue to the next gate, we didn't go through the second gate, instead, we turned uphill on a good path heading for Oxford Crag.

This path is well used and the views soon open up.

Birks.

Ullswater.

Place Fell.

Raise, Sheffield Pike and Glenridding Dodd.

We followed the wall for most of the way, around where the craggy bits start there's an indistinct path leading left off the main one heading directly over the crags, we took this one, although it presents no difficulty it adds a bit of interest and leads directly to the summit. There was a bit of snow around this height which added to the views and highlighted the craggy nature of the mountains around us.

On the summit the views are great.

On the summit, Birks behind.

Ullswater and Place Fell.

Boredale Hause, We'll be there later.

Towards Highstreet.

Sheffield Pike, Hart Side behind it, just a couple weeks ago we were on those.

Towards Kirkstone Pass.

Red Screes zoomed.

Hart Crag and Dove Crag.

Place Fell, our next destination.

From the summit we retraced our route back down to Patterdale.

Once back on the road we headed for Rooking and the start of the path to Boredale Hause.

View from the bridge on the way to Rooking.

There's no problem finding the start of this path as there's plenty of signs to help you.
Once on the path it's easy going all the way to Boredale Hause where we were in the snow again.

Views from Boredale Hause, towards Fairfield.

Helvellyn.

There are many paths heading in all directions up here mostly hidden by the snow today, the one up Place Fell is plain enough and well made.

The path up Place Fell.

It's a nice steady pull up Place Fell, steep in parts, so there were a couple of photo stops.

It eases once at the cairn on Round How and the path becomes more or less level from there until the summit of Place Fell.

On Place Fell.

The views were fantastic today, the visibility was excellent and the air clarity helped to really highlight the mountains.

Towards the top end of Ullswater.

Helvellyn Group.

Towards the Dodds, Blencathra right in the distance.

North.

To Arthurs Pike, Bonscale Pike, Loadpot Hill and Wether Hill.

Towards Kirkstone, Red Screes in the middle.

Fairfield.

Helvellyn again.

The Mell Fells.

Pano of Helvellyn.

Highstreet Pano.

We found a sheltered spot to have lunch so we sat down and relaxed, it was nice to take our time.

After lunch we set off back down to Patterdale.

Views on the way down.

Striding Edge, Helvellyn in the cloud and Catstye Cam.

Brothers Water and Red Screes.

A little bit of Ullwater from the path back to Rooking.

Place Fell from Patterdale.

We had an enjoyable day out, a good start to 2017.
Just about turned all the red balloons blue in this area now. :D
Last edited by martin.h on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Arnison Crag and Place Fell, turning red to blue.

Postby trailmasher » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Well done on a great walk with photos to match :clap: What a perfect day to be out and about on the hills, and those views 8) :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:51 am

I always like walks which visit two Wainwright areas in the same day, it feels pleasingly subversive :-)

And I like the way everything looks like it's been dusted with icing sugar!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Fantastic photos Martin, what a lovely hike this must have been through such wonderful scenery looking perfect with it's winter dusting :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby martin.h » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm

trailmasher wrote:Well done on a great walk with photos to match :clap: What a perfect day to be out and about on the hills, and those views 8) :clap:

Thanks trailmasher,
We were lucky, driving up the M6 earlier we were seriously thinking of abandoning our plans, it was chucking it down, but, as we neared Windermere, the clouds parted and we had a great weather day from then on :D

nigheandonn wrote:I always like walks which visit two Wainwright areas in the same day, it feels pleasingly subversive :-)

And I like the way everything looks like it's been dusted with icing sugar!

Thanks nigheandonn,
I like the way a dusting of snow highlights the hollows, bumps, crags and outlines of the mountains, I sit there and try to imagine how the glaciers carved out our landscape :D

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic photos Martin, what a lovely hike this must have been through such wonderful scenery looking perfect with it's winter dusting :clap:

Thanks Chris,
Lakeland showing off :lol: we're lucky we've got this so close to home, two hours at most and we're there, I love the Dales, but the Lakedistrict does have a wee bit more variety :wink: :D
Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 pm

wLate written response: What a brilliant set of pics!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But I was Inspired by this WHR and that of johnkaysleftleg, and as a result, I got myself up to this neck of the woods on the wonderful Saturday we've just had. Just great! Even seething with people, this is beautiful country.

Thanks for the reminder that all that is wonderful is not necessarily located north of the border ....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby martin.h » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Alteknacker wrote:wLate written response: What a brilliant set of pics!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But I was Inspired by this WHR and that of johnkaysleftleg, and as a result, I got myself up to this neck of the woods on the wonderful Saturday we've just had. Just great! Even seething with people, this is beautiful country.

Thanks for the reminder that all that is wonderful is not necessarily located north of the border ....

Thanks Alteknacker, the clarity was superb, just right for happy snappers.
I'm glad you managed a good day out this Saturday just gone, makes it worthwhile and proves to the uninitiated that all the effort offers rewards. :D
Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby mamoset » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:32 pm

looks like you had a great day martin, at least it looks like winter for you haha
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby martin.h » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:59 pm

mamoset wrote:looks like you had a great day martin, at least it looks like winter for you haha

Thanks mamoset, when I read your report on your Grisedale round the weather looked early spring like, it reminded me that we're heading in the right direction now and soon it will be spring :D :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland