walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Barnstorming on Bynack

Barnstorming on Bynack

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 08/01/2017

Time taken: 5.15 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 800m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My knee had managed to stand up to 5 wonderful days on Skye and a wander to the Whangie, so the sensible thing to do seemed to be to try another walk! The weather looked good East on the Cairngorm outlier of Bynack Mor…so the Cairngorms it was. I was to have the company of International Man of Mystery, Mr X on this mission. Due to his secret agent status (and being horribly camera-shy) his identity remains anonymous :lol:

Mr X picked me up in his James Bond-esque Spy car (in my mind anyway) and we headed off up the road. It was dark and early and it was a long way. The weather and light improved as we got further North and we parked up at Glenmore Lodge shortly after 8.30.

Kit was donned and we were off. It was unseasonably warm once we had got going and the visibility was looking good. It was easy walking along good tracks and before long we reached the Lochan Uaine – it wasn’t really as green as I’d expected but it was fairly overcast so I’ll forgive it this time :lol:

Looking back – I believe this is Cairn Gorm

Shortly after, we arrived at the split in the path – we took the right fork, saving the left hand route to Ryvoan Bothy and the Corbett Meall a’ Buachaille for another time.

Ahead to Bynack Mor in the distance

Looking back to Meall a’ Buachaille

From here it was a simple walk along a track to the bridge, where our route became a path but was still easy going. We climbed steadily uphill. It was a beautiful day and we were sheltered from the wind as we climbed and sweated our way towards the plateau.

First objective reached – plateau :D

Once on the plateau the walking was easy. A few other folk were out but no-one seemed very chatty. Perhaps I’ve got so used to walking alone and people stop to chat more readily with fewer people? I always look forward to bumping into strangers when I’m on the hills, shrinking violet that I am :lol:

Looking back again – a wee bit of cloud inversion and Meall a’ Buachaille in the distance

Some very cool rocky things – Cairngorms aren’t so boring after all :thumbup:

The final push

The final steep rocky climb to the summit brought us out on top into a cold wind but some lovely views. I’ve never felt inspired by the Cairngorms (which is why I always go West unless the weather dictates otherwise :lol: ) but this mountain and the views from it have filled me with a bit more excitement for exploring the East :thumbup:

Jaxter in the Cairngorms

Some photos were taken before the next part of the plan – Mr X wanted to explore the Barns of Bynack. It’s possible that this was some sort of drop-off point for secret agents :shock: and that I was some sort of deep cover for a covert operation :shock: :shock: But if he told me he’d have to kill me. Or something :lol:

We headed downwards on a bearing and initially found the Little Barns of Bynack – big rocky lumps. We had a wee scramble around but I was too short to climb up properly (and I thought injuring myself at the further point from the car was probably not wise… although Mr X would surely be capable of carrying me back :lol: )

On top of something :lol:

Towards the big Barns :D

We continued down the real Barns of Bynack – larger lumps of rocks that were very imposing and impressive! We were able to climb up into them but not all the way to the top sadly. Still, they were pretty cool.

Views from the Barns

Climbing the Barns

We found a sheltered spot for a refuel before heading back up. Back in the wind it was freezing!!

Looking back over the Barns

We climbed back down to the plateau via a slightly different route that entailed stomping through some snow :D

The way home

The route down was uneventful; banter was had, views were enjoyed and eventually we found ourselves on the home straight where there were a lot of people and a lot of dogs which Mr X duly protected me from (as all dogs want to kill me). Back at the car the boots came off and it was just a case of a 3 hour drive home. Oh it was so nice to be a passenger :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Barnstorming on Bynack

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:23 am

Some impressive views there, Jaxter.

Quote: "I've never felt inspired by the Cairngorms (which is why I always go West unless the weather dictates otherwise...".

I used also to be of this persuasion, but, like you, I was very pleasantly surprised by what I found on my first trip there last year. Not Skye or Torridon, but not at all bad either. The high plateau and the hidden dramatic cliffs and corries give it a very special feel. :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:41 am

Really enjoyed your report and some superb photos. Bynack More is one of my favourites, if you get a chance try it in snow, it's artic up there, but wonderful.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 am

Nice one Jaxter.

Told you the 'Gorms grow on you :lol:

Wait til you get in and around the Lairig Ghru, all huge mountains and long walks. It's stunning.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:00 am

Alteknacker wrote:Some impressive views there, Jaxter.

Quote: "I've never felt inspired by the Cairngorms (which is why I always go West unless the weather dictates otherwise...".

I used also to be of this persuasion, but, like you, I was very pleasantly surprised by what I found on my first trip there last year. Not Skye or Torridon, but not at all bad either. The high plateau and the hidden dramatic cliffs and corries give it a very special feel. :thumbup:

I remember reading your report when you said that - was wondering if it'd happen to me too :lol:

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Really enjoyed your report and some superb photos. Bynack More is one of my favourites, if you get a chance try it in snow, it's artic up there, but wonderful.

Thanks - was hoping for snow but winter says no....another time eh :wink:

jupe1407 wrote:Nice one Jaxter.

Told you the 'Gorms grow on you :lol:

Wait til you get in and around the Lairig Ghru, all huge mountains and long walks. It's stunning.

Mebbe you're right, we shall see :D :D

You just like the excuse to use yer bike :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Jaxter wrote:

I remember reading your report when you said that - was wondering if it'd happen to me too :lol:

I did exactly the same walk back in November, having been similarly inspired by Altenacker's report and I'm afriad it didn't work on me. The best part of my day was cycling in a very dangerous manner from the footbridge back to Glenmore campsite :D I suspect the Barns of Bynack had some kind of magical effect - I didn't know about those and they sound interesting. Probably not enough to make me go back though :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby basscadet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 am

Yes of course the Gorms have their good parts - there are still a couple of places I want to go there, but it doesn't have the 'drama around every corner' that some places do, and its always bloomin windy :lol:
Hope Mr X was the Milk tray man and you now have sufficient stocks to last until next xmas :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby apollo0815 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:21 pm

If Mr X did some of the images: Your usual photos are far better....
Is your camera still in repair?
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:14 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Jaxter wrote:

I did exactly the same walk back in November, having been similarly inspired by Altenacker's report and I'm afriad it didn't work on me. The best part of my day was cycling in a very dangerous manner from the footbridge back to Glenmore campsite :D I suspect the Barns of Bynack had some kind of magical effect - I didn't know about those and they sound interesting. Probably not enough to make me go back though :D

That's a shame! Mebbe they'll grow on you still... :wink:

basscadet wrote:Yes of course the Gorms have their good parts - there are still a couple of places I want to go there, but it doesn't have the 'drama around every corner' that some places do, and its always bloomin windy :lol:
Hope Mr X was the Milk tray man and you now have sufficient stocks to last until next xmas :lol:

That's exactly how I was thinking! Still, lots to enjoy there too I'm sure :wink:

Nae milk tray sadly! Mebbe I'll take milk tray man on my next trip :lol: :lol:

apollo0815 wrote:If Mr X did some of the images: Your usual photos are far better....
Is your camera still in repair?

I'm afraid they were all mine (except the 2 with me in them) but on a go pro as camera was still away. But I have it back now :D :D :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby apollo0815 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Thought so, these pics are very substandard for you :)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland