walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowless on Bowfell and the Crinkles

Snowless on Bowfell and the Crinkles

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Esk Pike, Pike o'Blisco, Rosset Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Esk Pike, Pike of Blisco, Rossett Pike

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 9

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1550m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another Wainwright-fest for Karl, we originally had this one planned for the Sunday, but a change in the forecast prompted us to go for the Saturday instead. Glad we did as it turned out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off just after 08.30 on a perfect, frosty morning, heading for our first peak of the day, Pike o' Blisco. Clearly there was no snow on the fells to speak of - quite unusual for January.

P1020245.JPG
Frosty morning at the head of Langdale

The fells were glowing in a light of burnished gold; the views just got better as we got higher.

P1020247.JPG
Landale Pikes from slopes of Pike o' Blisco

Towards the top a few little rocky steps make for some mild scrambling. Pike o' Blisco may not be as high as some of the other fells nearby, but is just as craggy - a fine peak with a great view.

P1020251.JPG
Bowfell from Pike o' Blisco

P1020255.JPG
Langdale from summit of Pike o' Blisco

P1020256.JPG
Landale Pikes from Pike o' Blisco

P1020257.JPG
Crinkle Crags and Bowfell from Pike o' Blisco

Having taken in the splendid views it was down to Red Tarn then continuing up the wide path for Crinkle Crags. At a small cairn on this path we diverted left across marshy ground to take in Cold Pike's rocky little summit.

P1020263.JPG
Pike o' Blisco from Cold Pike

From Cold Pike we took the direct route across the moor to re-join the main path up to the Crinkles. After the first Crinkle we could see the 'bad step' and noticed some folks ahead avoiding it to the left, but we decided to go straight up it as it's shorter and, in any case, it didn't seem right to traverse the Crinkles without doing the bad step. It really isn't that bad!

P1020266.JPG
Looking down Crinkle Gill

P1020269.JPG
Bowfell from Long Top

P1020270.JPG
The Scafells from Long Top

P1020273.JPG
Bowfell from near Three Tarns

A steady plod up the well-graded path from Three Tarns took us to the summit of Bowfell, where we stopped for a long and indulgent lunch break. A very clear atmosphere, bright sunlight and white mists drifting around made for some amazing views. To the south and west a sea of cloud stretched off into the distance courtesy of a temperature inversion.

P1020274.JPG
Scafell and Scafell Pike from Bowfell summit

P1020276.JPG
Langdale Pikes from Bowfell summit

P1020277.JPG
From Bowfell looking along the Crinkles to the Coniston Fells

P1020280.JPG
Zoom to Dow Crag

P1020282.JPG
Summit of Esk Pike

P1020283.JPG
Scafell Pike zoomed

P1020285.JPG
View north from Esk Pike

P1020286.JPG
Bowfell from Esk Pike

At Esk Hause we were treated to the sight of a Brocken Spectre.

P1020287.JPG
Brocken Spectre near Esk Hause

P1020289.JPG
Esk Pike from Esk Hause

As we approached Angle Tarn the sky was beginning to look rather murky with grey cloud coming in from the east.

P1020290.JPG
Angle Tarn

The weather was decidedly on the change. :( The blue skies and golden sunshine had gone now, but at least they'd lasted long enough to make for a magical day. :D

From our last top, Rossett Pike, we took the long way into Mickleden via Stake Pass, rather than back-tracking for Rossett Gill; we wanted to hold the heights just that bit longer.

P1020294.JPG
The long length of Mickleden from Stake Pass

Mickleden always seems a long way at the end of the day, but is at least flat with a good path along it. A grey twighlight was setting in by now. Eventually we spotted the welcoming lights of the Old Dungeon Ghyll, but when we got there it was just too crowded. So we de-booted and drove on to the NDG, which was also too crowded (Stickle Barn being closed for repairs). This was Saturday evening in Langdale after all! Fortunately there was room at the Wainwright's in Chapel Stile; so it was there that another great day on the hills was rounded off nicely with a pint of ale and a bowl of chips!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Snowless on Bowfell and the Crinkles

Postby martin.h » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Great account of a near perfect winters day, pity there's no snow about but you're photo's show the Lakes are fantastic, with or without.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm

That looks a stunning day in the fells Dav, shame about the lack of snow but I'm sure the broken Spectre made up for it.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Nice one dav, a great walk done in excellent conditions :clap: some very nice pics there as well :clap: Pity about the ODG being packed as it's just when a livener is needed soon after arriving back after a hard day on the hills :(
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Great report on a superb circular route! I especially like the photo showing the perfect profile of the Langdales from the slopes of Pike o'Blisco.

The lack of snow compared to last weekend when we were there is extraordinary.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 pm

martin.h wrote:Great account of a near perfect winters day, pity there's no snow about but you're photo's show the Lakes are fantastic, with or without.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers.

Thanks Martin. It was a shame the snow from last weekend hadn't lasted as it might have been nicely consolidated. I do agree though that the Lakes are fantastic with or without; I'm very lucky to live on their doorstep. Cheers! :D

johnkaysleftleg wrote:That looks a stunning day in the fells Dav, shame about the lack of snow but I'm sure the broken Spectre made up for it.

Yes we were lucky to catch such great conditions for most of the walk, and the Brocken Spectre was a real bonus - I haven't seen too many of those! Thanks JK :D

trailmasher wrote:Nice one dav, a great walk done in excellent conditions :clap: some very nice pics there as well :clap: Pity about the ODG being packed as it's just when a livener is needed soon after arriving back after a hard day on the hills :(

Thanks TM. Yeah the Wainwright's has nothing of the history and atmosphere of ODG - and the barman that night was a surly old stick! :lol:

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great report on a superb circular route! I especially like the photo showing the perfect profile of the Langdales from the slopes of Pike o'Blisco.

The lack of snow compared to last weekend when we were there is extraordinary.

Tim

Thanks Tim! :D An extraordinary contrast indeed; I was gutted not to be able to get out that previous Saturday - had to wait in for a new washing machine to be delivered! :roll:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby mamoset » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Some cracking pics there dav of a grand day out and an interesting route :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 pm

mamoset wrote:Some cracking pics there dav of a grand day out and an interesting route :D

Thanks mamoset! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 am

That's a good long day Dav with beautiful conditions for the most part and lovely photos along the way. The change in weather seemed a bit sudden but you certainly made the most of it beforehand. :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 pm

ChrisW wrote:That's a good long day Dav with beautiful conditions for the most part and lovely photos along the way. The change in weather seemed a bit sudden but you certainly made the most of it beforehand. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Chris. We had no complaints when it clouded over as we'd had more than our fair share of sunshine and glorious views. Wouldn't have minded if it had started snowing - we could do with some of the white stuff in this part of the world just now! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am

Fabulous day for what is, to judge from the pics, a great route. When I did a similar route (but anti-clockwise) it was sadly all in clag (and I discovered the joys of walking in circles .... :roll: ) so it's good to see how marvellous it is. Great stuff.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Fabulous day for what is, to judge from the pics, a great route. When I did a similar route (but anti-clockwise) it was sadly all in clag (and I discovered the joys of walking in circles .... :roll: ) so it's good to see how marvellous it is. Great stuff.

Thanks AK. It is so much nicer when you can see the views! One can get a bit jaded with walking in the clag - and I can vouch for that mystifying tendency to walk in circles! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 pm

I should have said also: some cracking pics, that have cemented a resolve to do a Langdale round in good weather.

I particularly like "From Bowfell looking along the Crinkles to the Coniston Fells" :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby great_gable » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:28 pm

love the photo's
great_gable
Mountaineer

Munros:7   
Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:76   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:45 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I should have said also: some cracking pics, that have cemented a resolve to do a Langdale round in good weather.

I particularly like "From Bowfell looking along the Crinkles to the Coniston Fells" :clap: :clap:

Glad you liked that one as it's my favourite too! Thanks AK :D

great_gable wrote:love the photo's

Thanks gg :D
dav2930
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland