walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Southern Upland Way - Beattock to St. Mary's loch

Southern Upland Way - Beattock to St. Mary's loch

Postby andrewl7642 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:01 am

Route description: Southern Upland Way

Date walked: 17/06/2016

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 33.5 km

Ascent: 884m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Southern Upland Way is a 212-mile coast-to-coast walk in Scotland between Portpatrick in the west, and Cockburnspath in the east. The route officially opened in 1984.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

PART 1 - BEATTOCK TO OVER PHAWHOPE BOTHY (10 MILES)

PART 2 - OVER PHAWHOPE BOTHY TO ST MARY'S LOCH (12 MILES)

Since 2013 my friend and I have been completing the long distance trail in small stages each year (backpacking and wild camping) and have now passed the halfway mark.
We returned in June 2016 to continue from Beattock. The plan was to walk as far as Traquair (35 miles).
I have decided that next year (2017) I'll pull my finger out and get the trail completed.

On this occasion, we got dropped off at Beattock on Friday afternoon and walked 10 miles to Over Phawhope bothy. We hoped to get the bothy to ourselves but unfortunately, being a popular place it was occupied by a large group who had arrived in three cars!! We were not very amused but at the end of the day, bothy's are free shelters which are open to everyone.

Anyhow, there was still some space out front for camping. We made use of the old barn to shelter from the midges. We had food in there, washed down by several Beers which had been carried all the way from Beattock.

P1210712.jpg
Pitched up at Over Phawhope bothy

In the morning, we had a quick look in the bothy before setting off on the trail to St Mary's loch. There was a lot of road walking involved then a couple of big hills and we finally made it to Loch of the Lowes, situated beside St Mary's loch. There were already a few wild campers dotted about the place but they were sound people and it was a great atmosphere and it stayed dry.

P1210819.jpg
A perfect pitch at St. Mary's loch

On the Sunday the original plan was to walk the next stage to Traquair but due to a slight hangover and a late start Plus the arrival of the rain it was postponed.

Next Section: St. Mary's Loch to Traquair/Minch Moor
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76042
Attachments
P1210635.jpg
Mr Globetrotter constantly snapchatting the trail
Last edited by andrewl7642 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Southern Upland Way - Beattock to St. Mary's loch

Postby Jamboman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 pm

I doe the whole walk in 1998, took 12 days, started in June for the extended daylight. Without doubt it is truly memorable and a fantastic feeling crossing the finishing line at Cockburnspath. Wish you the best of luck
Jamboman
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes