walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

GREAT MELL FELL AND A RAILWAY WALK

GREAT MELL FELL AND A RAILWAY WALK

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Mell Fell

Date walked: 22/06/2010

Time taken: 1

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 276m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day after doing the Causey Pike round we were having a day off but after dinner we decided to climb the Xmas pudding as my husband calls it, Great Mell Fell. We parked up just past Brownrigg Farm taking care not to obstruct the gateway and set off minus our packs. It is a nice climb from this side with views to Little Mell Fell
IMG_5922.jpg
Little Mell Fell
After the wooded area it opens up to a clear grassy summit with 360 degree views.
IMG_5928.jpg
Summit at 537m
IMG_5935.jpg
What a view
IMG_5941.jpg
To the Dodds and Clough Head
Despite achy legs it was 51 minutes up and 28 minutes down, a cold can of pop in the car, heaven :lol:

Our final day after we had done the Back of Skidda fells we had some drizzle and visited Keswick, then the sun came out so back at Threlkeld we thought a walk along the old railway towards Keswick then back through Wescoe and the fields to home, it was about 3.65 miles and we turned back where the road from the Blencathra Centre meets the track, beautiful walk or ride.
IMG_6133.jpg
Blencathra from the village
IMG_6135.jpg
To High Rigg
IMG_6138.jpg
Several bridges on route
IMG_6142.jpg
Old tunnel
IMG_6146.jpg
Picturesque
IMG_6160.jpg
Fells close up
IMG_6162.jpg
An English Lane
The Uldale walk to come, happy days :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: GREAT MELL FELL AND A RAILWAY WALK

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Yeah poor old Great Mell Fell does look like a pudding (or as Wainwright suggested, a squashed one! :lol: ) - I enjoyed it though - although I've only ever done it once. The views are superb aren't they? Have you done Little Mell Fell yet? I thought the views were even better from there
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Yes MC did that some time ago, only from the hause as I think it was the day after we did the Crinkles so again tired legs :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:03 pm

It's a great short walk that's for sure :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland