walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A detour to trump Donald’s Black Law

A detour to trump Donald’s Black Law

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 am

Route description: Dun Rig Horseshoe, Peebles

Fionas included on this walk: Dun Rig

Donalds included on this walk: Birkscairn Hill, Black Law, Dun Rig, Glenrath Heights, Stob Law

Date walked: 21/01/2017

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 1220m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Getting a bit lazy so opted again to head south – probably not as good conditions as to the north but a nice enough day nonetheless. Parked in the parking space at the end of the road south of Peebles – head torch on but not really needed.

Peebles activelog 21jan2017.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Off down the Glensax road which becomes a track. Found it hard going further down trying to avoid the frozen water puddles; hadn’t been on a bike for months and was feeling it.

Stopped to lock up the bike at the bike of the abandoned farmhouse. Then walked a little further south to find a spot to cross the burn. Circled round a short way then headed more or less straight up to the summit of Birkscairn Hill.

Some areas with a bit of an inversion

Image[/url]

Set off SW towards Stake Law followed by Dun Rig

Had in mind a possible detour down to Black Law subject to conditions – decided to go for it so headed off SW towards White Cleuch Hill then over Blackhouse Heights and down to Black Law.

Crossed a good landrover track not marked on the map then on to Black Law’s 698m top (as opposed to the 696m top marked to the south on the OS map).

Had some lunch and started back towards the NE. Boggy in places but many were crunchy and semi frozen.

Back to the 713m point to the SW of Dun Rig, headed off towards Glenrath Heights. Dropped down a bit before the climb up to Glenrath Heights. Passed a couple going the same way – said hello and remarked that my ice axe was probably a bit of overkill today :roll: (in my defence I hadn’t been able to see the hills in the dark before I set off).

Reached the summit of Glenrath Heights (marked Middle Hill)

Then followed the fence round to drop down and up Stob Law

Big cairn

Retraced my steps back over Broom Hill then along to the cairn and trig point at Hundleshope Heights

Then just a case of following a track a little to the NE before dropping down to Glensax

Picked up the bike at the abandoned farmhouse and headed back to the car.

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: A detour to trump Donald’s Black Law

Postby Old Bill » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:53 am

Beautiful photos Rockhopper!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 am

Nice one R/H :clap: As you know I did the same sort of route early last year - the opposite way round to you :roll:
I really enjoyed the route, interesting that you opted for your trusty bike :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 pm

Looks a great walk and some great pictures. Fascinating deserted farm, well to me at least. Every billionaire's golf course should have one.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland