walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

That wind was a right pain in my Oss!

That wind was a right pain in my Oss!

Postby teaandpies » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 26/01/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1203m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a lazy but ultimately successful winter walk last time out I was keen to get out again. After a 7 day stint at work I needed to get out of the town.

I'd be going solo, a fist 'winter' solo for me but where to go and what to do? I actually fancied smashing out a wee hill or 2 because of the forecasted strong winds but with MWIS offering a 90% chance of cloud free Munros you've just got to take those odds!

My brother was telling a while back about how he had to recover a dead body from Ben Oss about 1.5/2 years ago, this had put me off the hill slightly so when the time came to find the closest Munro(s) on my WH map I'd not done, guess what ones they were :(

The alarm goes off at 6:30am for me to get up with the missus but she insisted we snooze for 10 minutes, I don't take much encouraging for snoozing but the button was hit 3 times and it's now 7am. The bed was warm and the bedroom cold, frankly I could've turned over and went right back to sleep.

I was now a half hour late leaving which meant I had to endure the morning traffic :evil: however this didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the day ahead :)

Once the car park was reached I geared up but decided to leave the 'pons n axe in the car.
Setting off along the old main road before turning off onto the dirt track I tried to get a picture of Beinn Dubhchraig but at this point it was in clag so took a snap of the closest hill.

Craig Riabhach?

Good Morning you two

Crossing the bridge

I was following the recommended route on from this site and I was also aware of the bridge being down along with the sodden ground.
It did cross my mind that about how much of a genius move I had made by choosing winter to do this route as I passed frozen puddles, ah the ground will be frozen...excellent.

WRONG once I had crossed the railway line I turned off the track at the cairn and straight into a fricken nasty bog :crazy:
Up to the midshin a couple of times it wasn't looking good...is this gonna be 'Beinn Chabhair' all over again? :problem: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55172

Once across the first bog it was time to cross the burn but not via this!

The...bridge

I did decide to rock hop my way over but these stones, I kid you not, are the most slippery river stones I've ever stood on...needless to say with me being as clumsy as I am I ended up 1 foot in the water right at the other bank. Luckily, having waxed my boots in preparation last night for this walk my foot remained dry.

Stepping stones

Now on the other side I followed a path that runs along the burn and yes, as reported a million times its bloody boggy...walking through these woods was providing an enthusiasm sapping challenge. When will this end?! Why can't there be a chairlift here to skip this nonsense? Aaagh :lol:

Bog

Not all bad

Hi above the burn

Beinn Dubhchraig

Beinn Dorain & Beinn Odhar

It took me an hour to get from the car to leaving the woods, longer than expected. I kept looking behind me expecting to see other walkers coming up the path but nobody came. I'll probably see some up top.

Just out of the trees

Waterfall

Once out on the open hill side it's a steady climb up and thankfully most of the bog was left behind but still had bits here and there. The ground was becoming more frozen the higher I got however the views were limited and as I walked in the massive shadow of the mountain I could feel the cold but the thought of being in the sun was keeping me motivated.

Straight on

The benefit of this sheltered walk was being out of the wind which still had touched me as of yet, maybe it wasn't going to be a problem at all.

A final steepish pull up to the ridge (marked by a cairn you can see form a distance) was only made challenging by the sheets of ice covering the path.

Ben More & Stob Binnein

Ben Challum and company

The moment my head popped over the rampant so to speak I had it blown off by the bitterly cold wind but I got my first sneak peak off Ben Oss.

Ben Oss

The way Beinn Dubhchraig

The ground was white with windswept frost structures on every rock, every blade of grass. I was forced to notice because the combination of strong wind and intense sunlight kept my head down. Every so often I turned my back to the wind just to get it off my face for a minute and a wee photo opportunity.

Ben Oss & Ben Lui

Looking to the Orchy lot...

and back to these two :lol:

The final approach to Beinn Dubhchraig's summit is relatively easy going with excellent views if you are lucky enough to get any. Today, ultimately, would prove to be a very frustrating day for taking photographs. My phone just couldn't handle the intensity of the light and the hazzy sky didn't help. I couldn't capture what I was seeing so apologies for that.

Beinn Dubhcharig's summit

Loch Lomond

Again

I didn't linger on the top for very long, I snapped a few shots and headed off. The wind strength was increasing with each step, at one point it was blowing tears across my face, I literally cried tears from one eye into the other :lol:

Ben Oss & Ben Lui

and again

Grampian

Crainlarich Seven

Down Loch Lomond

I followed the path that runs high above Loch Oss until it drops much more steeply than expected down to the narrow pass between the hills.

Loch Oss

Loch Oss & Loch Lomond

I found a little shelter from the now consistent wind to enjoy a bite to eat. I looked over to the splendid Beinn Oss and Ben Lui as I munched away on a large Tiger roll.

Not far to go

I could see the path up Ben Oss for a long distance away and thought to myself that's a fairly straightforward looking accent and sure enough once I left the path at the cairn to top Oss the accent was easy enough with exception of a rather cruel part where you lose height before having to reclaim it.

The bealach and path up

Ben Oss

Looking back to Beinn Dubhchraig

Further than I thought it was

That cruel dip

Ben Lui can now be seen it all its splendour. What a sight indeed :D

Ben Lui

There were a few snow patches to avoid on the accent, they were solid so I just walked around them.

Beinn Dubhchraig

A few times I thought the summit would just be over the horizon but after a couple of false summits the real one came into view.

The summit

This hill offers excellent views but there's definitely a overwhelming need to focus on Ben Lui. A massive steep impressive looking hill, fabulous.

The summit and Ben Lui

I lingered a while longer on Oss to snap a few shots of the surrounding hills, when I say longer I might have been there 2 or 3 minutes at most. The wind was impossible to resist, it was winning.

Ben Lomond over yonder

From the cairn looking to Lui

Looking to Ben Nevis

Looking to Ben More

I left the way I had come but despite the achievement of reaching the summit, my mood had taken a real down turn. The constant battering from the wind had taken it's toll, my thinking was... 'a little off' to put it mildly. An example being the disturbing idea that if I were to fall off a cliff right now I'd probably be happy to be out of the wind. There were moments where the wind was affecting my breathing, struggling to catch a breath before it was sucked from my lungs. It's so fatiguing to have the wind smash you for 2 or 3 hours straight, soul destroying even and now with a negative train off thought the climb back up Beinn Dubhchraig all of a sudden seemed so impossibly massive. :shock:

I got myself down off Ben Oss pretty fast and as I went to start the walk up the shoulder of BD I started to sing. If you asked Pieplough he'd tell you that this was a regular occurrence to help me through bits :lol: :lol:

It seemed to work as the climb wasn't nearly as bad as expected. I aimed to get to a large quarts rock because once there I knew the worst would be over. In my haste to get off the hill I tried to cut the across the hill but forgot about the little lochan so ended up walking around that anyway so I didn't save any time in the end up. Now it was all down hill form here in the good way :lol:

The long way back

Once down off the ridge the wind completely stopped, back in the shelter thank goodness! I even took my jacket off and managed to enjoy the rest off the walk. Still haven't seen a soul.

No Walk report of mind would be complete without the inclusion of my latest fall and yes, as I did last time out I managed to take a fall after slipping on some ice but rather than a nasty slam this time I fell kindly into a well place bank of heather. I had been distracted by looking at some clothing in the wee burn :lol:

Beinn Dorain & Beinn Odhar standing guard

Now in the woods I managed to find a better path down, it was a more defined path with long stretches of hard ground.

Beinn Dorain & Beinn Odhar again

Once over the burn (I chose a better crossing point) it was a case of crossing the bog to the track. I was feeling it a little in the legs but being on the good track made the last few Kilometres a lot easier that's for sure :)

A last look of Beinn Dubhchraig

The drive back along the A82 was the usual affair, stuck behind a massive truck :roll:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: That wind was a right pain in my Oss!

Postby goth_angel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 am

Excellent title and good report. I can relate to the not wanting to get up bit! :lol:

Had thought about leaving these for winter on grounds of bog avoidance but sounds like it won't work :(
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby teaandpies » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 am

goth_angel wrote:Excellent title and good report. I can relate to the not wanting to get up bit! :lol:

Had thought about leaving these for winter on grounds of bog avoidance but sounds like it won't work :(

It would have probably worked in any other January. It just so happens that this winter hasn't even gotten started yet.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:22 pm

These are the next ones for me along the now very familiar A85.

I'm a bit jealous, that looked brilliant (and the phone did fine with the pics).

PS tears are better than another "snotter gate" t&p :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland