walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen from Aboyne with a 65L pack

Mount Keen from Aboyne with a 65L pack

Postby andrewl7642 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 23/08/2014

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 33 km

Ascent: 795m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started from Aboyne at 10:30 am and headed out to Glen Tanar on foot, reaching Glen Tanar visitor centre an hour later. I continued walking using the Walkhighlands description as my guide, stopping at the Half Way Hut for lunch en-route.

I arrived at the base of Mount Keen at 3:40pm and began my ascent to the summit which took me about an hour 20 mins. Conditions were good, a little windy at the top. Came straight back down, had planned to camp on the grassy area at the bottom but there was a group of kids there so I just went back to the half way hut, had Supper and wild camped by the river Tanar. The following day I walked back to Aboyne and caught the bus back to Aberdeen.

It took about 11 hours in total, that included stopping for lunch for an hour and doesn't include the camping.

andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Mount Keen from Aboyne with a 65L pack

Postby basscadet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Shame you didn't carry on a little past the bothy ruins - there is a cracking wee camping spot next to a bonny waterfall I have always been meaning to utilise :roll:
There are so many routes to mount keen from Deeside - I got a bit overly obsessive about finding new ones for a while. Ballater start is definitely best for the pies :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby andrewl7642 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:17 am

I don't think I remember seeing a waterfall, are you talking about the ruined building in the forest near the halfway hut?? Did that used to be a bothy? I think there is a really good spot to camp by the river Tanar some miles between Glen Tanar and Aboyne (where there is parking next to the road), I saw a group of folk on the other side of the river having a campfire while I was walking back to Abyone, really wanted to go and join in.

I was going to take the signed path to Ballater the second time I came down Mount Keen from the Glen Esk side, last year but I wasn't sure if the route would be easy to follow so I just carried on to Aboyne then too.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby basscadet » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:33 am

andrewl7642 wrote:I don't think I remember seeing a waterfall, are you talking about the ruined building in the forest near the halfway hut?? Did that used to be a bothy? I think there is a really good spot to camp by the river Tanar some miles between Glen Tanar and Aboyne (where there is parking next to the road), I saw a group of folk on the other side of the river having a campfire while I was walking back to Abyone, really wanted to go and join in.

I was going to take the signed path to Ballater the second time I came down Mount Keen from the Glen Esk side, last year but I wasn't sure if the route would be easy to follow so I just carried on to Aboyne then too.

The bothy used to be next to the big patch of grass (where you were originally going to camp) just below the hill - you would have to go a few hundred metres upstream from there to find the waterfall - just a wee bit off route.

The signposted route over to Ballater isn't that defined - there are a confusing labyrinth of paths and tracks in the area, but most of them lead to round about Ballater eventually :D

Never done mount keen from Glen Esk - I heard it was dullsville?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby andrewl7642 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:10 am

Oh right that's a shame, what happened to the bothy exactly??
I'm going to have to go back there now to camp at this waterfall it sounds great... and try to navigate myself on the Ballater path. I'm guessing I'll find the path I'm looking for on OS MAP OL53 and OL54.

I wouldn't say it was dull from Glen Esk but it took me a long time starting from Banchory lol. :shock:
That's a report I should really get round to writing about! basically I used Mount Keen as an escape route to get back to Deeside!!! I don't even want to think about that day :?
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby basscadet » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am

andrewl7642 wrote:Oh right that's a shame, what happened to the bothy exactly??
I'm going to have to go back there now to camp at this waterfall it sounds great... and try to navigate myself on the Ballater path. I'm guessing I'll find the path I'm looking for on OS MAP OL53 and OL54.

I wouldn't say it was dull from Glen Esk but it took me a long time starting from Banchory lol. :shock:
That's a report I should really get round to writing about! basically I used Mount Keen as an escape route to get back to Deeside!!! I don't even want to think about that day :?

:lol: :lol:
Sounds brilliant - all the best adventures are the ones where it all goes a bit pear shaped but you still manage home somehow :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland