walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cairnwell munros.

The Cairnwell munros.

Postby awayalot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 02/04/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very clear crisp morning at Glenshee, Fumbled about trying to find the start of the walk, ended up just heading up towards the ski lifts stopping briefly at the bottom of a lift to ask the easyest way up, continued up to top of Carn Aosda, stopping for a sannie and a brew, Got pic taken by passing lady walker, chatted briefly then headed on to Carn a Gheoidh, lots of snow every where, fantastic views, passed the frozen loch Vrotachan , another sannie at Carn a Gheoidh cairn then off to the Cairnwell, passing the sign post, took a few more pics at the top of the Cairnwell and headed back down, excellent views of the hills from here, back at the car by 17: 30 and the ski center was almost deserted by now, slow drive back to Braemar stopping again briefly to capture the herd of deer grazing at the bottom of (unknown to me) hill, an excellent days walking, I may have done them in the wrong order but still enjoyed the day, plenty sunshine and clear skys with very good visability.
Carn Aosda 917m.JPG
Top of Carn Aosda with the Cairnwell in back ground
DSC01181.JPG
Other side of A93
DSC01182.JPG
Looking back towards Braemar
DSC01194.JPG
Loch Vrotachan
DSC01202.JPG
DSC01186.JPG
Carn a Gheoidh cairn
DSC01205.JPG
Heading over to the Cairnwell
The Cairnwell 933m.JPG
DSC01210.JPG
One of the views from the Cairnwell
DSC01211.JPG
Heading back to Braemar
DSC01212.JPG
Last edited by awayalot on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
awayalot
Mountaineer

Re: The Cairnwell munros.

Postby monty » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Surely theres a mistake here. It says you walked this walk on the 23/06/10? Is there still all that snow at Glenshee?
monty

Postby awayalot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Yeh there is a mistake, I walked the Cairnwell munros on 2nd April 2010, posted the walk on 23rd June, oops,,
awayalot
Mountaineer

Postby Astronick » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 am

Looks like you had the ideal conditions to tackle these hills. They look a lot more interesting with a winter coat on. It is strange to think how recently there was still a lot of snow up there now that we are basking in summer sunshine :D
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby monty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:09 am

No worries Awayalot,
Still a cracking report. Glenshee allways looks better in the snow :D
monty

Postby awayalot » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Astronick wrote:Looks like you had the ideal conditions to tackle these hills. They look a lot more interesting with a winter coat on. It is strange to think how recently there was still a lot of snow up there now that we are basking in summer sunshine :D
Yeh it was a cracking day, got a touch of sunburn too as I left the factor 30 in the car, doh !.
awayalot
Mountaineer

Postby Puffin Bagger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:02 pm

I've just done this walk (Sat 26th June) and found the first part among the ski lifts quite depressing. I was imagining it to be a lot prettier with snow, and these super pictures show that it is! But with the snow obviously comes a lot more people - pros and cons to all things.
Puffin Bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:15   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Lake Vrotachan, tut tut tut :wink:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby awayalot » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:51 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Lake Vrotachan, tut tut tut :wink:

Oops, (school boy error), Loch Vrotachan :?
Last edited by awayalot on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awayalot
Mountaineer

Postby awayalot » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Puffin Bagger wrote:I've just done this walk (Sat 26th June) and found the first part among the ski lifts quite depressing. I was imagining it to be a lot prettier with snow, and these super pictures show that it is! But with the snow obviously comes a lot more people - pros and cons to all things.

Yeh there was a lot of skiers and snow boarders but only seen one couple with a dog, one other couple and one more walker on the hills that day.
awayalot
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland