walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Calf from Sedbergh/Rise Hill (Aye Gill Pike)

The Calf from Sedbergh/Rise Hill (Aye Gill Pike)

Postby Broggy1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, The Calf

Date walked: 04/02/2017

Time taken: 3.55

Distance: 20.74 km

Ascent: 1174m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A two part walk.

Firstly the standard route from Sedbergh up to a winter kissed and misty The Calf. A good walk even in bad weather with one particularly nasty storm on the plateau.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1 Winder.JPG
Winder summit - a short, steep pull from Sedbergh

2 Arrant How.JPG
Arrant How - you divert off the main path for this

3 Fool Proof.JPG
The main track is fool proof even on a bad day like today

4 Calders.JPG
Snow on Calders

5 Bram Rigg Top.JPG
I took the diversion to Bram Rigg Top - where the Cairn has took a bit of a battering since last time I was here

5a The calf.JPG
The Calf

6 Rise Hill.JPG
out of the mist now and looking to Rise Hill - promising a brighter afternoon perhaps?

And then the main objective of the day - the Marilyn Rise Hill (Aye Gill Pike) across the valley. Reedy and wet in it's lower stages but an easy enough task of following a faint path and the wall (stiles exactly were you would want them to be) to the uneventful summit and Trig Point.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

7 Back to Howgills.JPG
Back to the Howgills from the start of the walk

8 Tracks to follow.JPG
There is a track of sorts you can follow for this one

9 Summit in view.JPG
Summit in view - just follow the wall

10 Trig.JPG
It misted over again upon my arrival

11 Sun trying.JPG
But the sun was trying...

12 More bad weather on way.JPG
Although so was the rain as another shower heads my way on the descent
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland