walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Angry farmer, electric fences, pheasant shoot and poor vis.

Angry farmer, electric fences, pheasant shoot and poor vis.

Postby Jaywizz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mile Hill, Turin Hill

Date walked: 28/01/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.09 km

Ascent: 377m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a most enjoyable day. Really.
With the weather forecast not too good, we decided to head east for two Sub2Ks, to walk the lower one first as the forecast was for (slightly) better weather in the afternoon. Having read of confrontations with a farmer in previous reports, the decision was made to approach Turin Hill from the north.
Turin Hill 4.00km, 106m ascent, 1:34 hrs
WH Turin hill.jpg

From a small lay-by near the entrance to Carsegownie Farm, we crossed the road and walked by the wall at the edge of the field towards the hill - hidden by low cloud and mist.
Gates were no obstacle - but I have a fear of electric fences. I had hoped that as we are currently in 'winter', all stock might have been moved and the fences switched off, but this wasn't the case. (The extra line on the map was us trying to find an easier way over the electric fence.) McMole eventually persuaded me over, insulated by his laminated map. Maybe I was conned - but I didn't get a nasty shock.
Crossing the field, through the mist, we attracted the attention of the sheep that walked purposefully towards us
sheep.jpg
Maybe they thought we were carrying sacks of feed ........

By now I was quite convinced we would meet the farmer out checking his flock. My ears strained for the sound of an approaching quad bike - but all was quiet.
It was a relief to leave that field and, past the solar-powered generator for the electric fence, through another gate, we headed uphill on rougher steeper ground. Still with poor visibility, we only made out the ridges and and ditches of the fort as we walked closer.
summit trig.jpg
The obligatory trig point photo, cairn and sword in the background

Now to head for the cairn - electric fences run each side of the stone dyke but there are wooden stiles and insulation so much easier to cross.
WH cairn with sword.jpg
We walked back to have a closer look at the cairn

Excaliber s.jpg
McMole is King - or a wizard with Photoshop!

Apparently there was no explanation of the cairn until 2007 when the memorial plaque was added.
WH plaque.jpg
The plaque was added in 2007 by members of his family

A most moving story, BSM William McKay Jamieson was killed during a training exercise when a soldier accidently dropped a live grenade in the trench. Intending to throw the grenade clear, William picked it up but it exploded in his face and he died of his injuries. (Article in the Sunday Post, May 2007)
Roughly retracing our steps, we returned to the car. A successful walk with no angry farmer and no electric shocks.

On to Mile Hill. The usual carpark on the verge beside the impressive gatehouses of Balintore Castle.
Mile Hill 7.09 km, 271m ascent, 2:30 hrs
WH mile hill.jpg

We had snacks in the car while a snowstorm swept past - even less visibility - and then as we were putting our boots on, I was dismayed to hear gun shots from the direction we would be walking. Setting off down the track we came across three vehicles parked at the edge of the plantation, and decided the best action would be to wait a while. Shortly after, the shooting stopped and a small party of 'guns' walked around the edge of the forest and broke off towards us. We explained where we had hoped to walk, and were assured we would be fine as there would be no more shooting that day on the south side of the road. After a few more pleasantries, we walked on.
Skirting woodland on the right, the track loops past an unsightly dump, mostly old fridges and cookers, and then swings round avoiding a marshy area towards Hilton Farm. We continued on the track towards Garelaw but turned south before reaching the buildings, heading up beside a small conifer plantation. The stream was easily crossed, and we took a line (with many zigzags on my part) up the steeper flank of Mile Hill, visibility decreasing all the time.
lower slopes mile hill.jpg
Leaving the plantation, heading up the lower slopes

WH levelling slope.jpg
Thank goodness the steepest slopes are behind me now!

digging out the cairn.jpg
McMole dug out the summit 'cairn'

On our return route, we opted for the gentler slope west towards the col and then back to the stream and plantation, finally to the car.
car load.jpg
Leaving the fine but ruinous gatehouses

The last remaining challenge of the day was putting wet and rather muddy clothing into my (nearly) new car. From experience, I know that this concern for the car's interior will not last long but the first load of wet, dirty clothing is the worst. All that remained now was the drive home, passing the chip shop in Blairgowrie with nostalgia - chips will not be eaten in this car (at least not yet!)
So, to return to my first sentence - yes, it was a really good day. No angry farmer, no electric shocks, no aggressive guns. Despite the poor visibility it was great to be out on hills, and limited visibility is always a chance to hone map and GPS skills in readiness for the occasion they may seriously be needed.
Now to wait for a good weather forecast and get back to higher hills, but in the meantime I have another 498 Sub 2K summits to choose from.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Angry farmer, electric fences, pheasant shoot and poor v

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Well done for getting out, had to look at the map and see where these hills are located :lol:
I am always on the lookout for electric fences after my fairly recent experience in the Borders :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Chuckled a lot through this one - lovely!

One just never knows how it will be with other land users; but great that this interaction was a template for how it should be.

Here's an example of the other approach (wholly without any legal standing, I might add...).
IMG_1076 - reduced.jpg

(Bridge over the River Lyon).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby crfishwick » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:30 am

Alteknacker wrote:Chuckled a lot through this one - lovely!

One just never knows how it will be with other land users; but great that this interaction was a template for how it should be.

Here's an example of the other approach (wholly without any legal standing, I might add...).
IMG_1076 - reduced.jpg

(Bridge over the River Lyon).

:lol: I think you would find if the gate over the bridge was actually locked there is nothing illegal about it :lol: But in Glen Lyon can be a bit confrontational with certain individuals :shock:
crfishwick

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:31 pm

If I am being totally honest, I think I am a tiny bit disappointed that you didn't meet my friend Mr Jolly. He has a great line in craic! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:48 pm

After reading Graeme's report I also chose to attack this hill from the north and also on a foggy miserable day where I wouldn't stand out. Turned out to be very straight forward but disappointing as well as I wanted to see if I could see my house from the top but the fog never lifted.

Mile Hill is another good wee hill probably not visited that often.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland